Large Model: MDT Reefer #9000

Mike Williams

The first (indoor) photo was taken when it was on display at the Rochester station. The arched tile behind it was a drinking fountain.

Mike Williams

The model is still on display in the East Rochester Town Hall. It has different paint schemes on opposite sides.

George Courtney

I cannot help but wonder if a person built this model, including the signs and flatcar would someone question it's prototypicalness?  I post tongue in cheek.

George Courtney

Bruce Hendrick

Thanks Bob and Charlie for sharing images and information on this fascinating model. I estimated it was about 20 feet long making it 1:2 scale!

I wonder what happened to it. Does anyone know?

Bruce Hendrick
Brea, California

Charlie Vlk

All-

Found another photo of the model in my freight car computer file.

Does anyone know what scale it was?   It may be bigger than 15” gauge (3” = 1’-0”) although they might have used that size because some railroad industry salesman’s samples were made to that scale.  A CB&Q fan who was a lantern collector found couplers made to that size and it triggered him making equipment and a railroad to that scale…including a live steam 4-4-0.  The only problem with his stuff is that it was perfect…the real things never were built so precisely!!!

Charlie Vlk

Bob Chaparro

Large Model: MDT Reefer #9000

Photos courtesy of the New York Central Historical Society:

https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/130463

https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/130461

Promotional model made by the MDT Shops.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA