PRR G25 USRA Gon

Michael Gross

I have come across a Walthers PRR G25 gon, and would like to make some improvements.  It is crude compared to the more finely detailed Westerfield Kit #8103, but presents some interesting challenges for that very reason.

I am largely ignorant of this prototype, so if anyone has photos of the prototype—particularly of the B-End with the unusual pivoting brake staff and Carmer uncoupling levers—it would be much appreciated.  Walthers provides no information concerning the underframe and brake layout, so photos of a finished Westerfield #8103 underframe would also be helpful.  Finally, any photos of the interior tie-downs would be gratefully appreciated, as Walthers has provided virtually no interior detail on the sides and ends.

Thanking members in advance for their time and generosity.

Cheers!

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

markgro78

Hello Michael,

You might find some of these articles useful for your project.

In the July 2002 issue of Railmodel Journal, Richard Hendrickson not only wrote about the prototype gondolas, but also the Westerfield and Walthers models. You can find that magazine online at this link: http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_2002_7/

Furthermore, Bruce Smith wrote about making some basic improvements to the Walthers model in the No. 106 - Autumn 2018 issue of The Keystone Modeler, which can be found on the PRR Technical & Historical Society website here: http://www.prrths.com/newprr_files/newPRRKeystoneModeler.htm

Hope this helps!
Mark D. Grotkiewicz

Bruce Smith

Michael,

The G25 was the PRR's allocation of USRA steel gondolas, so most details follow the other USRA gons.

Two additional resources are
The Keystone Modeler, volume 8, March 2004 - This is a nice article on both the prototype and modeling it by Elden Gatwood
Pennsylvania Railroad Gondolas, Revenue and Work Equipment, 1869 to 1968, by Al Buchan and Elden Gatwood, published by the PRRT&HS (available for $25 https://www.prrths.org/content.aspx?page_id=586&club_id=171391&item_id=11844

The G25 used Carmer operating lever 15 and lifting lever 17 (from Pierre's/Yarmouth's guide), which, alas, are not offered by Yarmouth (http://www.yarmouthmodelworks.com/index.php/ModelDetailParts/CarmerCutLevers)
but it is in the Free State Systems etched set.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

[...]

Kenneth Montero

Bruce,

If I recall correctly (perhaps from reading an email from this group), Free State has ceased production of its products, so Ebay may be the only source for this item.

Ken Montero

On 11/04/2021 8:47 AM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

greg snook

My last attempt to order Free State levers ended with a response that they are out of production, unfortunately.

Happy hunting for those though,
Greg Snook

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Group;

Once I figured out what the end details should look like, the Westerfield resin details went on OK, including the cut levers.  You could try that source.

Keep in mind the pivoting handbrake is a huge part of the appeal of the G25’s.

I will try to find my models.

Elden Gatwood

[...]

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies and for sending reference materials and photographs.  Yes, it appears the Free State Carmer levers are no longer available, but I may be able to fashion something "good enuf" from Yarmouth Model Works.

Elden Gatwood, in particular, has offered helpful photographs of the ends, and may look to his completed Westerfield model for photos of the underframe and brake system layout.

Again, the Walthers car has its share of challenges, but might be an interesting set of hurdles.

Thanks again to everyone.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

P.S.  If anyone has a scan of the instructions for the Westerfield #8103, that would no doubt help with the brake rigging.  :0)

Michael Gross

Eric Hansmann just sent me a scan of the Westerfield USRA gon instructions, so I am good to go.

Thanks to Eric, Elden Gatwood, and others who offered advice, photos, or reference material.

Cheers!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA