Soo Line “sawtooth” Box Car 39470

Lester Breuer

I have completed the build of Soo Line “sawtooth”  box car, numbered 39470.  My build of a  Speedwitch Media  resin kit was done for a friend . The build included using Yarmouth Model Works photo etch and Tichy Train Group parts, etc.   And, Soo Line paint, lettering and weathering.  If you are interested, photos and write up are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.  If would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

O Fenton Wells

Nice job Lester on an interesting boxcar. Excellent finish
Fenton

On Nov 5, 2021, at 11:47 AM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I have completed the build of Soo Line “sawtooth”  box car, numbered 39470.  My build of a  Speedwitch Media  resin kit was done for a friend . The build included using Yarmouth Model Works photo etch and Tichy Train Group parts, etc.   And, Soo Line paint, lettering and weathering.  If you are interested, photos and write up are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.  If would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

Scott H. Haycock

Beautiful!

I didn't realize how long these cars remained in service.  Would many of these cars still be in grain service in 1959? I need a few grain boxes , and I have a thing for single sheathed cars.

Scott Haycock
ent

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 01:01 PM, Scott H. Haycock wrote:
I didn't realize how long these cars remained in service.  Would many of these cars still be in grain service in 1959? I need a few grain boxes , and I have a thing for single sheathed cars.
You're just a little bit too late. The 1920-'23 built cars, represented by my kit and the Speedwitch re-issue, were were still 23% of the Soo Line total boxcar fleet in October of 1954, but that had shrunk to just six cars in January, 1959. The Soo was building new steel boxcars in their own shops throughout the fifties and sixties, in addition they leased 500 reconditioned steel boxcars from United States Railway Equipment Co.  about 1956, which allowed a mass retirement of wood sheathed cars.

You'd be better off with the Sunshine kit, 78.2, IIRC, for the cars built in 1928-'29, which were still 12% of the fleet in 1959, and 11% in 1962. The 1926 cars with Murphy ends and wood doors, Sunshine 78.1, were still 5% of the fleet in 1962.

Dennis Storzek

Scott H. Haycock

Thanks, Dennis,

I figured the last few orders 1928-1930 would be the longest lasting of these cars. But I like the 1926 cars too. It will come down to which kit I can find, when the time comes.

Scott Haycock
ent

On 11/05/2021 4:09 PM Dennis Storzek <dennis@...> wrote:

You're just a little bit too late. The 1920-'23 built cars, represented by my kit and the Speedwitch re-issue, were were still 23% of the Soo Line total boxcar fleet in October of 1954, but that had shrunk to just six cars in January, 1959. The Soo was building new steel boxcars in their own shops throughout the fifties and sixties, in addition they leased 500 reconditioned steel boxcars from United States Railway Equipment Co.  about 1956, which allowed a mass retirement of wood sheathed cars.

You'd be better off with the Sunshine kit, 78.2, IIRC, for the cars built in 1928-'29, which were still 12% of the fleet in 1959, and 11% in 1962. The 1926 cars with Murphy ends and wood doors, Sunshine 78.1, were still 5% of the fleet in 1962.

Dennis Storzek

Bruce Griffin

Lester,

I am sure this has been said before, but it needs to be said again, and every so often. Thank you for taking the time to post your work on a blog. I know how much time it takes to record a build and share on a blog, it’s not a small task. It’s great to learn from your work each time you post and more important, something that can be referred back to by just a quick search. You create excellent models and I am sure many of us on this list have tried to replicate them. Again, thanks.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Lester Breuer

Bruce and others Thank You .  I appreciate your kind words.  I am happy to be able to share my builds with you.   If it had not been others willing to share I would never have developed skills I have.  Again, Thank You.
Lester Breuer