Red Caboose 103-W 10,000 gal..tank car


Scott H. Haycock
 

Folks, I know next to nothing about tank cars. I have  RC kit # 3010-6, Sunoco. Reporting marks are SUNX 6467. Is this an accurate scheme for this model?

Thanks,

Scott Haycock


Bruce Smith
 

Scott,

A quick search of the group archives provides a plethora of information regarding the profusion of foobies associated with Red Cabin Car's (That's Red Caboose to you non-PRR modelers) release of this kit. The kit is accurate for two road names, or rather three, since the Army Quartermaster Corps cars became DODX, and UTLX. 

In addition, a number of modelers have "upgraded" this car. Search "Red Caboose tank car" and enjoy.

A repaint of the kit (if it is actually in your era) to UTLX might be in order. Good decals are available and the scheme is simple (black).

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...>
Sent: Friday, November 5, 2021 11:53 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] Red Caboose 103-W 10,000 gal..tank car
 
CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.
Folks, I know next to nothing about tank cars. I have  RC kit # 3010-6, Sunoco. Reporting marks are SUNX 6467. Is this an accurate scheme for this model?

Thanks,

Scott Haycock


Ed Hawkins
 


On Nov 5, 2021, at 11:53 PM, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

Folks, I know next to nothing about tank cars. I have  RC kit # 3010-6, Sunoco. Reporting marks are SUNX 6467. Is this an accurate scheme for this model?

Scott,
The R.C. models are based on 6 orders of cars with a relatively-new (at the time) ACF welded underframe. The prototype cars had 60”-diameter x 22” domes. There were some subtle differences in the 6 groups, but all of them were of the same basic dimensions. 

Lot 3385 - SL-SF 191000-191129, 130 cars built ca. 8-49, last 30 cars heater pipes
Lot 3401 - USAX 11900-12099, 200 cars built ca. 9-49
Lot 3417 - USAX 11690-11899, 210 cars built ca. 5-49
Lot 3559 - KPCX 2500-2522, 23 cars built 7-51 (Koppers Co.)
Lot 3639 - SHPX 16754-16773, 20 cars built 1-52, heater pipes (leased to Bakelite Company)
Lot 3687 - JTBX 17-18, 2 cars built 4-52 (J.T. Baker Chemical Co., Taylor Chemical Division)

Similar cars built from 1953-1955 had at least some different dimensions & others I’m unable to locate drawings and/or photos to verify them as being the same as the model.

SUNX 6467 isn’t listed in the 1955 tank car tariff book, which is the closest date I have. 
Regards,
Ed Hawkins





Tim O'Connor
 


A 500-car order for UTLX in 1951 were nearly identical in appearance.



On 11/6/2021 10:43 AM, Ed Hawkins wrote:

On Nov 5, 2021, at 11:53 PM, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

Folks, I know next to nothing about tank cars. I have  RC kit # 3010-6, Sunoco. Reporting marks are SUNX 6467. Is this an accurate scheme for this model?

Scott,
The R.C. models are based on 6 orders of cars with a relatively-new (at the time) ACF welded underframe. The prototype cars had 60”-diameter x 22” domes. There were some subtle differences in the 6 groups, but all of them were of the same basic dimensions. 

Lot 3385 - SL-SF 191000-191129, 130 cars built ca. 8-49, last 30 cars heater pipes
Lot 3401 - USAX 11900-12099, 200 cars built ca. 9-49
Lot 3417 - USAX 11690-11899, 210 cars built ca. 5-49
Lot 3559 - KPCX 2500-2522, 23 cars built 7-51 (Koppers Co.)
Lot 3639 - SHPX 16754-16773, 20 cars built 1-52, heater pipes (leased to Bakelite Company)
Lot 3687 - JTBX 17-18, 2 cars built 4-52 (J.T. Baker Chemical Co., Taylor Chemical Division)

Similar cars built from 1953-1955 had at least some different dimensions & others I’m unable to locate drawings and/or photos to verify them as being the same as the model.

SUNX 6467 isn’t listed in the 1955 tank car tariff book, which is the closest date I have. 
Regards,
Ed Hawkins


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


James Brewer
 

I have one of the RC tank kits in the stash lettered for UTLX but it is numbered 85352.

Jim Brewer


Chris Barkan
 

Thanks Ed, I have been curious about these cars for some time.  The attached photo by Edgar Guinea shows USAX 9220 & USAX 9130 in Belle Dock Yard New Haven, CT in 1961.  They are in a different USAX number series than you cited, but they look similar to me.  Could they have been renumbered or are these different cars?
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL


Tim O'Connor
 


In the 1970 tariff book there is no 85352, but nearby numbers are larger single
dome cars of roughly 13,500 gallons capacity (numbers 85320 to 85369) with
dome capacity in the range 266-269 gallons

There is a 10,000 gallon [10,268] car 85253 !! Maybe someone at Red Caboose
had dyslexia. 😉

Tim O'Connor




On 11/6/2021 1:34 PM, James Brewer wrote:
I have one of the RC tank kits in the stash lettered for UTLX but it is numbered 85352.

Jim Brewer


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Tim O'Connor
 


One of those cars shows a riveted end. So definitely not the Red Caboose car. But the Army
bought cars from multiple builders.

Attached is a prototype for the Red Caboose car. (Also fyi it was pointed out to me that the
UTLX car had a different underframe than the RC model.)



On 11/6/2021 2:09 PM, Chris Barkan wrote:
Thanks Ed, I have been curious about these cars for some time.  The attached photo by Edgar Guinea shows USAX 9220 & USAX 9130 in Belle Dock Yard New Haven, CT in 1961.  They are in a different USAX number series than you cited, but they look similar to me.  Could they have been renumbered or are these different cars?
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Chris Barkan
 

Thanks Tim, I did not carefully re-examine the photo earlier and had forgotten that one of them was riveted, but the nearer car appears to be welded. So could that be one of them?  Again, the number series is not the same as Ed's list.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL


Tim O'Connor
 

Ed only listed the cars built in 1949, because they are exactly like the Red Caboose model,
which is based on ACF drawings in the Car Builder Cyclopedia ( e.g. 1953 CBC, page 270 ).
ACF continued to build 103W cars for USAX such as these two (attached) cars built in 1955.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/6/2021 4:36 PM, Chris Barkan wrote:
Thanks Tim, I did not carefully re-examine the photo earlier and had forgotten that one of them was riveted, but the nearer car appears to be welded. So could that be one of them?  Again, the number series is not the same as Ed's list.
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*


Scott H. Haycock
 

Thanks Bruce,

I'll look at the archives. Knowing that the model represents a car that could be used in my op. scheme, is a starter for further research.

Scott Haycock
Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantm
ent

On 11/06/2021 7:39 AM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:


Scott,

A quick search of the group archives provides a plethora of information regarding the profusion of foobies associated with Red Cabin Car's (That's Red Caboose to you non-PRR modelers) release of this kit. The kit is accurate for two road names, or rather three, since the Army Quartermaster Corps cars became DODX, and UTLX. 

In addition, a number of modelers have "upgraded" this car. Search "Red Caboose tank car" and enjoy.

A repaint of the kit (if it is actually in your era) to UTLX might be in order. Good decals are available and the scheme is simple (black).

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL



From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...>
Sent: Friday, November 5, 2021 11:53 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] Red Caboose 103-W 10,000 gal..tank car

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.
Folks, I know next to nothing about tank cars. I have  RC kit # 3010-6, Sunoco. Reporting marks are SUNX 6467. Is this an accurate scheme for this model?

Thanks,

Scott Haycock


Scott H. Haycock
 

Thanks Tim,

It turns out that the RC paint scheme is for a GATX car!

Upon cursory comparison of your photo and the model, it looks very do-able. Do these cars have heater coils?

Scott Haycock

On 11/06/2021 11:24 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

A 500-car order for UTLX in 1951 were nearly identical in appearance.





Tim O'Connor
 


Here's an underframe view of a GATC Sunoco tank car, if you need one. 😁


On 11/7/2021 2:45 AM, Scott H. Haycock wrote:
Thanks Tim,

It turns out that the RC paint scheme is for a GATX car!

Upon cursory comparison of your photo and the model, it looks very do-able. Do these cars have heater coils?

Scott Haycock

On 11/06/2021 11:24 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

A 500-car order for UTLX in 1951 were nearly identical in appearance.




Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Robert kirkham
 

Hmm - with the multiple outlet and other downward projecting pipes between the centre sills, would this be a multi-compartment car?  If not, why the multiple pipes dropping down through there?

Rob

On Nov 7, 2021, at 4:46 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:


Here's an underframe view of a GATC Sunoco tank car, if you need one. 😁


On 11/7/2021 2:45 AM, Scott H. Haycock wrote:
Thanks Tim,

It turns out that the RC paint scheme is for a GATX car!

Upon cursory comparison of your photo and the model, it looks very do-able. Do these cars have heater coils?

Scott Haycock

On 11/06/2021 11:24 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

A 500-car order for UTLX in 1951 were nearly identical in appearance.




Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts <sunx_2224 3-dome_tank GATC overturned-underframe-detail cmo_39022 40ft_SD_box sou_10274 AAR-1937 train-wreck-scene.jpg>


Jeff Helm
 

Rob

Good catch, definitely three main outlets, nearest one uncapped, plus smaller pipes with retained caps as well, possibly for heater pipes?
--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch
https://olympicpeninsulabranch.blogspot.com/