Speedwitch NP AUTOMOBILE CAR

Paul Doggett

Hi

I have just finished a Speedwitch NP automobile car but it’s no longer in automobile service

Paul Doggett. England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Jay Styron

It’s a beauty, Paul!
Jay Styron

Paul Doggett

Jay

Thank you

Paul Doggett

On 6 Nov 2021, at 15:10, Jay Styron <jstyron@...> wrote:

It’s a beauty, Paul!
Jay Styron

Jim Betz

Paul,

  Great build!

  Auto service cars were often used in other services.  Both temporarily
and long term ... and then, later in the life of a car such as this one it
probably didn't see a lot of auto service assignments since newer/better
cars for the purpose would be introduced.
  However, I think they would have retained their "Automobile" lettering
unless they needed to be repainted.
  If you have a picture of this particular car that does not have "Automobile"
on it ... then you can use it anywhere you want!  Otherwise you might
want to consider adding the auto lettering it and heavily weathering that
part to show it is in different service now ... ???  (It's old, weathered, and
being used for general purpose needs now.)  Then again, if your YM
(wearing their car clerk hat) don't seem to pay much attention to stuff
like that you don't have to worry, do you?
                                                                                              - Jim

Paul Doggett

Thank you Jim, apparently most lost the automobile lettering in the forties my mode  had a repaint in 1952 so would not have had automobile on it ( in my world 1950-3) I have photos of them in the early 50s without automobile on

Cheers Paul

On 6 Nov 2021, at 19:35, Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:

[...]

Tony Thompson

Lovely model, Paul I have always liked these big cars.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

On Nov 6, 2021, at 5:47 AM, Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

Hi

I have just finished a Speedwitch NP automobile car but it’s no longer in automobile service

Paul Doggett. England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

<image1.jpeg><image4.jpeg><image7.jpeg><image7.jpeg>

Paul Doggett

Tony

Thank you

Paul

On 6 Nov 2021, at 21:18, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Lovely model, Paul I have always liked these big cars.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

On Nov 6, 2021, at 5:47 AM, Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

Hi

I have just finished a Speedwitch NP automobile car but it’s no longer in automobile service

Paul Doggett. England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

<image1.jpeg><image4.jpeg><image7.jpeg><image7.jpeg>

np328

    Many of the auto cars (and especially on the NP given the radial roof design) lost their ability to haul cars as the autos became larger and longer and the new Evan's automobile loading equipment would no longer be able to be outfitted, AND provide clearance once the car was lifted. Evan's automobile loading equipment changed and perhaps this entered the equation, the changing of Evans equipment. Clearance from the floor on up to center ceiling was paramount and the difference of height inside a car from 10 feet 2 inches to 10 feet 6 inches was worlds apart. Radial roof design while strong and robust, needed tension bars as part of the structure. Boards were weaved at angles in compression and held at tension by metal bars and that loss of a few inches, took these cars out of auto service (and eventually other railroads cars also as interior heights became too restrictive.)
     These 5000 series still worked well enough for large for not terribly heavy bulky items ordered through your Sears catalogue, such as stoves, washers, couches, fridges, and so on. In other words, in service where they would be seen all over the US.
    For the NP, the solution regarding auto haulage was the 8000 series of cars with Murphy roofs instead of radial.

  I'll attach a photo.   The longitudinal wood braces plus the metal cross braces took the precious few inches of roof space that made a difference. (For want of a nail the kingdom.....)

                                                                           Paul, of the car,    very...very....nicely....done.                                                                      James Dick - Roseville, MN

Paul Doggett

James

Thank you for your information.

Paul Doggett

On 6 Nov 2021, at 21:29, np328 <jcdworkingonthenp@...> wrote:

[...]

<P1010031 - Copy.JPG>

Charlie Duckworth

Very nice model!  Enjoy seeing the unpainted shots.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Paul Doggett

Charlie

Thank you

Paul Doggett

On 7 Nov 2021, at 12:58, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Very nice model!  Enjoy seeing the unpainted shots.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Bruce Griffin

Paul,

Well done as always. Thank you for the inspiration.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Paul Doggett