[EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] F&C Lehigh Valley ‘wrong way’ boxcar question

Bruce Smith

Rj, Folks,

There is a reason Ted did not change the bolster distance on these cars. The manufacturer DID know what they were doing because the bolsters are positioned correctly!  The wheels DO come all the way to the end of the car! (Sorry Charlie, it may "look better" to you to move them in, but it is wrong.) As noted, there is a prototype in the RR Museum of Pa.

While the view is oblique, it clearly shows that the wheels are flush with the end of the car. This is actually quite common in cars of the era. Just like left opening doors are also common, and certainly not unique to these LV cars, in spite of their common nickname "wrong way door"
 cars. 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of radiodial868 <radiodial57@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2021 11:35 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] F&C Lehigh Valley ‘wrong way’ boxcar question

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.
That matches my experience from a couple of years ago when I did mine. The wheels came to the edge of the ends!  I had to bend the A-Line steps way out to clear.  At that point in my resin I figured that the manufacturer knew what they were doing. Ppbbbtt!
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

radiodial868

Guess it is better to be lucky! Glad I left it alone, it is a unique looking boxcar.  The car operates fine, but I did have to leave out/modify the handbrake geared lever, airhose brackets and the sill steps.
I see from the proto (museum) photo my big question from back then may be answered.  According to the prototype data sheet, these were rebuilds from 1935, yet the decal sheet did not included any "Rebuilt" dates. In-service photos show the typical 2 rows of text (Built and Rebuilt).  The museum photo shows a simple "Blt 6-30" date.  Steve may have based the model off this paint of the restored car.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Steve SANDIFER

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of radiodial868
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2021 10:53 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] F&C Lehigh Valley ‘wrong way’ boxcar question

Guess it is better to be lucky! Glad I left it alone, it is a unique looking boxcar.  The car operates fine, but I did have to leave out/modify the handbrake geared lever, airhose brackets and the sill steps.
I see from the proto (museum) photo my big question from back then may be answered.  According to the prototype data sheet, these were rebuilds from 1935, yet the decal sheet did not included any "Rebuilt" dates. In-service photos show the typical 2 rows of text (Built and Rebuilt).  The museum photo shows a simple "Blt 6-30" date.  Steve may have based the model off this paint of the restored car.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Steve SANDIFER

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of radiodial868
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] F&C Lehigh Valley ‘wrong way’ boxcar question

--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Steve SANDIFER

J. Stephen Sandifer

--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Steve SANDIFER

J. Stephen Sandifer

--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

WILLIAM PARDIE

Thanks Steve: 
These photos can get everyone excited about doing these cars.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/14/21 7:26 PM (GMT-10:00)

J. Stephen Sandifer

--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Charlie Duckworth

Steve
Thanks for posting the images; I’m back to changing the underframe and making the boosters 31’ 3” center to center to match the drawings.  My kit’s underframe was 32’ center to center which pushed the wheels too far out. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

I’m decaling the F&C Lehigh Valley boxcar and just a note to those that haven’t built one make sure you coat the decals with a fixative before placing them in water.  Mine broke up in several pieces coming out of the water.  I had a spray can of the Testors Decal coating and saved the rest of the set. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Brian Carlson

Coating them is SOP for F&C decals. Not matter how old. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Nov 20, 2021, at 4:09 PM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

I’m decaling the F&C Lehigh Valley boxcar and just a note to those that haven’t built one make sure you coat the decals with a fixative before placing them in water.  Mine broke up in several pieces coming out of the water.  I had a spray can of the Testors Decal coating and saved the rest of the set. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

mopacfirst

Had one last month like that -- one of the Pittsburgh road gons, I believe McKeesport Connecting.  Fortunately there wasn't a lot of lettering, and I may still put some reweigh data over some of the broken-up lettering.

I used the Microscale decal coating fluid on the few F&C decals I use, but I thought I'd fly without it this time.  Fortunately, it was just the capacity data that I started with.

Ron Merrick

Tony Thompson

Roan is absolutely right. Your hafta do it.

Sent from my 

Brian J. Carlson _._,_._,_

Tony Thompson

Sorry, meant to write “Brian.”    Tony

On Nov 20, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Roan is absolutely right. Your hafta do it.

Sent from my 

Brian J. Carlson 

passcars

Centerline of body bolsters are probably 5'-0" from end sill instead of the more common 5'-6".

Steve Peery