Steam Fittings for Tank Car Heads

Scott H. Haycock

Folks,
While thinking about the flange, that attaches the steam fittings to the tank head, I checked a set of Micro Mark resin rivets. That set includes a variety of circular rivet patterns that may be suitable for this detail.

Scott Haycock
Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantm
ent

On 12/07/2021 2:39 AM Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

This sort of detail fits right in with one of my projects. Unfortunately, good, close-up photos of head-mounted steam fittings are hard to find. Could you share some more of your collection?

Thanks,
Scott Haycock

Scott H. Haycock

Hi Steve,

This sort of detail fits right in with one of my projects. Unfortunately, good, close-up photos of head-mounted steam fittings are hard to find. Could you share some more of your collection?

Thanks,
Scott Haycock

Steve and Barb Hile

Thanks Tim,

I guess that I am trying to find that person who is interested and willing to do these in 3D printing.  I can provide more photos.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Monday, December 6, 2021 12:41 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Steam Fittings for Tank Car Heads

Steve

Anyone with 3-D skills and a 3-D printer could make these - And happily the resolution of
them (smoothness) is not critical. What do you think? They could even be shaped to match
the curvature of existing models.

Tim O'

On 12/5/2021 11:21 PM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

Rich,

The special thing I am looking for is the round riveted plate around the fitting, plus, it would be nice to have just the round riveted plate without a fitting, which you can also find on cars where the interior coils have be inserted.

Thanks,

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich C via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, December 5, 2021 8:11 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Precision has a bunch of pipes and fittings that might work?

Rich Christie

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Steve

Anyone with 3-D skills and a 3-D printer could make these - And happily the resolution of
them (smoothness) is not critical. What do you think? They could even be shaped to match
the curvature of existing models.

Tim O'

On 12/5/2021 11:21 PM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

Rich,

The special thing I am looking for is the round riveted plate around the fitting, plus, it would be nice to have just the round riveted plate without a fitting, which you can also find on cars where the interior coils have be inserted.

Thanks,

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich C via groups.io

Rich Christie

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Richard Townsend

Some nominees (I have not seen any of these; the list comes from looking through the PSC catalog):

There are various clean-out/wash-out plugs: GH-48274, GH-48213, look like good nominees, but I'd check them all if I could (there's a whole page of them in the PSC steam locomotive catalog)

Also: Pipe flanges, such as GH-48100,  there are others as well - this is the smallest. Again, there's a whole page of them in the catalog

More off the wall items:

PSHO-32135 Starter control Franklin booster engine (It has a flange that might be good if cut off)
HO-3535 Throttle control for booster engine (ditto)

HO-31837 Rear inspection plates, Vanderbilt tender

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Dec 5, 2021 8:21 pm

Rich,

Thanks,
Steve Hile

Rich Christie

Steve and Barb Hile

Rich,

Thanks,

Steve Hile

Rich Christie

Rich C

Rich Christie

Tim O'Connor

Hear hear! It would be sweet if someone would make these! Maybe beg Jason at Owl Mountain
to do them, since he already offers the dome elbows for tank cars. 😁

Tim O'Connor

On 11/24/2021 12:56 AM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

Please excuse the cross posts.  Thanks.

I wonder if anyone has seen, or is aware of, commercially available castings for the steam heat connections that show up on the heads of some tank cars.  I need several pair for a project.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Hile

Attachments:

_._

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Dave Parker

Hi Steve:

The only thing that comes to mind is (maybe) one of the clean-out/wash-out plugs from the Pre Scale locomotive catalog.  Might get you the flange and then you could add the pipe-ends?

Best regards.

Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Steve and Barb Hile

Please excuse the cross posts.  Thanks.

I wonder if anyone has seen, or is aware of, commercially available castings for the steam heat connections that show up on the heads of some tank cars.  I need several pair for a project.

They look like this on a three compartment car at the Museum of Transport in St. Louis.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Hile