3D Printing Trucks?

Jim Betz

Hi,

  Do you know of anyone doing 3D printed trucks for freight cars that Operate Well?

  Back story - there are several different truck types that have never been done - and
which are of interest to 'limited' members of the modeling community.  I am certain
that these can be produced using 3D printing.  What I don't know is whether or not
they would operate as well as the typical Delrin trucks.
                                                                                                   - Jim in PNW

Jim Betz

  ... perhaps it is as simple as just using "the reamer" ... ?

Nelson Moyer

The Buckeye (Elsey class 2D-F17 on PRR) resin cast trucks included with the YMW N&W B-5 boxcar run well with Intermountain wheel sets after cleanup with a reamer. I don’t know if the masters were 3D printed, but 3D printing and resin casting may be the way to go if 3D printed side frames are too fragile.

Nelson Moyer

  Do you know of anyone doing 3D printed trucks for freight cars that Operate Well?

  Back story - there are several different truck types that have never been done - and
which are of interest to 'limited' members of the modeling community.  I am certain
that these can be produced using 3D printing.  What I don't know is whether or not
they would operate as well as the typical Delrin trucks.
                                                                                                   - Jim in PNW

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 12:19 PM, Jim Betz wrote:
What I don't know is whether or not
they would operate as well as the typical Delrin trucks.
Well, they will be more fragile. If you are worried about bearing wear, you might design them to use the nylon bearing inserts that Tichy designed into the 100 ton wrecker trucks. As I recall, these fit into a 3/32" diameter cylindrical hole (but don't design the part until you measure the bearings) and provide the standard 60* cone shaped bearing in a tougher material. I don't see these on the Tichy web site as a separate part, but Don is easy to deal with, so contact him and ask.
https://www.tichytraingroup.com/ContactUs.aspx

Dennis Storzek

Gene Deimling

I have attached a picture of a 3D printed truck. The truck is pretty durable. The scale 1/48.

Gene Deimling

Jim Betz

  ... I guess I'm going to have to restate my question ...

  Is anyone -using- HO scale, 3D printed, trucks and liking them ... in terms
of how they operate (not how good they look)?
                                                                                    - Jim in the PNW

Steve Summers

Maybe slightly off topic but similar, years ago someone made metal leaf springs inserts for HO sprung trucks. Could something like that be 3D printed? I need to find a source for several cars and have not found any of the metal ones (anyone know of a source?) so perhaps they could be 3D printed?

On Dec 3, 2021, at 4:46 PM, Gene Deimling <proto48@...> wrote:

I have attached a picture of a 3D printed truck. The truck is pretty durable. The scale 1/48.

Gene Deimling

Attachments:
image0.jpeg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/188744/0

Dave Yingst

Precision Scale offers metal replacement leaf springs. I used them in Kadee Vulcan trucks for an Espee caboose.
Dave Yingst
Corning, CA

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 2:09 PM, Steve Summers via groups.io
<summers1218@...> wrote:
Maybe slightly off topic but similar, years ago someone made metal leaf springs inserts for HO sprung trucks.  Could something like that be 3D printed?  I need to find a source for several cars and have not found any of the metal ones (anyone know of a source?) so perhaps they could be 3D printed?
> On Dec 3, 2021, at 4:46 PM, Gene Deimling <proto48@...> wrote:
>
> I have attached a picture of a 3D printed truck. The truck is pretty durable.  The scale 1/48.
>
> Gene Deimling
>
> Attachments:
> image0.jpeg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/188744/0

John

Jim,

Zenith Model Works on 3dptrain.com offers several unusual truck styles, mostly from the early 1900s.  The ones I have look to be well printed and are nicely detailed.  They roll well with the recommended Kadee wheelsets.  I haven't run them enough yet to know how durable they will be.  But they are very reasonably priced so might be worth a try if any of them are what you are looking for.

https://3dptrain.com/Creator/zenithmodelworks/

John Bopp
Farmington Hills MI
Modeling the Nineteen Aughts

Kenneth Montero

Gene,

In addition, Walthers once made trucks with leaf springs (for cabooses) - no. 934-818 (Bettendorf-type trucks) and 932-892 (arch bar trucks). They had working leaf springs, but (if I recall correctly) the springs were oversized.

Ken Montero

On 12/03/2021 5:09 PM Steve Summers via groups.io <summers1218@...> wrote:

Maybe slightly off topic but similar, years ago someone made metal leaf springs inserts for HO sprung trucks. Could something like that be 3D printed? I need to find a source for several cars and have not found any of the metal ones (anyone know of a source?) so perhaps they could be 3D printed?
On Dec 3, 2021, at 4:46 PM, Gene Deimling <proto48@...> wrote:

I have attached a picture of a 3D printed truck. The truck is pretty durable. The scale 1/48.

Gene Deimling

Attachments:
image0.jpeg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/188744/0

Jeff Helm

Corey Bonsall has been making and selling HO scale 3D printed trucks to go with his 3D printed D&RGW gondolas, which he has sold on eBay for at least four years now.  There should be some good operating history on those from a variety of users, including Mr. Bonsall.  He has a Facebook page where one might get some feedback.
--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch
https://olympicpeninsulabranch.blogspot.com/

Tim O'Connor

Are those 70 ton clasp brake trucks ? Would they be correct for Carbon County open hoppers
(or indeed other US Steel cars, like the B&LE) ?

On 12/4/2021 11:04 AM, Jeff Helm wrote:
Corey Bonsall has been making and selling HO scale 3D printed trucks to go with his 3D printed D&RGW gondolas, which he has sold on eBay for at least four years now.  There should be some good operating history on those from a variety of users, including Mr. Bonsall.  He has a Facebook page where one might get some feedback.
--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

In HO scale I think the ONLY chance we will ever get accurate Chrysler trucks
(both plain and roller bearing) is from 3D printed trucks. Good performance is
desirable but the appearance is even more important to myself anyway. 😉

As long as they don't break when inserting the wheels, I'm good to go with them.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

Nice looking pair of L or T (?) section Andrews. Good through the 1940's I think.

https://3dptrain.com/storage/2021/06/A-3.jpg

On 12/3/2021 5:23 PM, John wrote:
Jim,

Zenith Model Works on 3dptrain.com offers several unusual truck styles, mostly from the early 1900s.  The ones I have look to be well printed and are nicely detailed.  They roll well with the recommended Kadee wheelsets.  I haven't run them enough yet to know how durable they will be.  But they are very reasonably priced so might be worth a try if any of them are what you are looking for.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jeff Helm

Tim

I am not an authority on trucks, they are described as “ 3D printed resin Vulcan outside clasp 70 ton trucks”.  Here’s a zoomed in shot from one of his eBay pictures.

--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch
https://olympicpeninsulabranch.blogspot.com/

WILLIAM PARDIE

I have long been trying to get modelers excited about doing the Santa Fe version of the Andrews truck.  There are two styles.  As I am not into doing cad drawings, etc. what would be the process of getting this muchj needed truck done?

Bill Pardie

I am not an authority on trucks, they are described as “ 3D printed resin Vulcan outside clasp 70 ton trucks”.  Here’s a zoomed in shot from one of his eBay pictures.

--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch
https://olympicpeninsulabranch.blogspot.com/

Tim O'Connor

Dennis

3/32" ??? Are you talking about O scale ? That sounds huge.

On 12/3/2021 4:38 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 12:19 PM, Jim Betz wrote:
What I don't know is whether or not
they would operate as well as the typical Delrin trucks.
Well, they will be more fragile. If you are worried about bearing wear, you might design them to use the nylon bearing inserts that Tichy designed into the 100 ton wrecker trucks. As I recall, these fit into a 3/32" diameter cylindrical hole (but don't design the part until you measure the bearings) and provide the standard 60* cone shaped bearing in a tougher material. I don't see these on the Tichy web site as a separate part, but Don is easy to deal with, so contact him and ask.
https://www.tichytraingroup.com/ContactUs.aspx

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Thanks, not the same trucks unfortunately. Oh well.

On 12/4/2021 11:46 AM, Jeff Helm wrote:
Tim
I am not an authority on trucks, they are described as “ 3D printed resin Vulcan outside clasp 70 ton trucks”.

Jeff Helm
Attachments:

_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 09:50 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
3/32" ??? Are you talking about O scale ? That sounds huge.
That's .09375", same diameter as old Athearn, MDC, Walthers axles. I know that a lot of manufacturers have gone to 2mm now, but the Tichy trucks date back to Bill Gould. You need the bearing cone to accept the entire axle cone, or else very short axles. Like I said, procure some and measure before committing to the print.

Dennis Storzek

steve_wintner

Branchlines' trucks for their heavyweight passenger cars also used slippery plastic bearing in a styrene truck side frame. Those may be a bit smaller if the Tichy ones don't fit ... But I don't recall the Tichy ones as being overly large. .094 is about 8.5 HO scale inches....

Steve