From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dennis Storzek
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 4:13 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Steel Fabrication in the Twenties

A while ago we had some discussion as to how the bolt holes for the deck on a cast steel flatcar were drilled. While looking for something else, I ran into a neat youtube video of the construction of the Empire State building, that has about five minutes of fab shop practice. Starting at 2:27 is a view of a gang drill setup that was likekly similar to what General Steel Castings used. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDECW5FLAM

Dennis Storzek

Mark Vinski

Did they use holes for bolting the floor boards to the car? Cars that I have seen have clips on the bolts that go over the edge of the frame members.

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 11:40 PM, Mark Vinski wrote:
Did they use holes for bolting the floor boards to the car? Cars that I have seen have clips on the bolts that go over the edge of the frame members.
They may have used clips on the center sill, but one of the photos in the previous discussion about these cars showed holes in the flange on the outside of the side sill, prompting a comment that he'd hate to have to drill them. I suspect that the drilling was done at GSC, using equipment similar to what is shown in the video.

Dennis Storzek

al whitecar

If the flooring is wood, they wood use bolts to the steel framing below. No rivets with wood – fire

Allan whitecar