6 wheel freight trucks

Alex Schneider

I have a legacy model of a 50 foot depressed center flat car,  for which I need a pair of 6 wheel freight trucks. I would prefer a set on which I could replace the wheels, unless they are metal wheels with NMRA contour. At one time Athearn made such trucks, I believe for their crane among other applications.

Suggestions or offers would be appreciated.

Benjamin Hom

Alex Schneider asked:
"I have a legacy model of a 50 foot depressed center flat car, for which I need a pair of 6 wheel freight trucks. I would prefer a set on which I could replace the wheels, unless they are metal wheels with NMRA contour. At one time Athearn made such trucks, I believe for their crane among other applications."

They still do.

Ben Hom

Alex Schneider

Thanks. I wasn't successful searching their website.

Due in March. The car has probably been lurking in my cabinet for 20 years so a few more months is nothing.

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 1:10 PM, Benjamin Hom
<b.hom@...> wrote:
Alex Schneider asked:
"I have a legacy model of a 50 foot depressed center flat car, for which I need a pair of 6 wheel freight trucks. I would prefer a set on which I could replace the wheels, unless they are metal wheels with NMRA contour. At one time Athearn made such trucks, I believe for their crane among other applications."

They still do.

Ben Hom

Alex Schneider

Thanks Ben. I was able to find two pairs in a nearby shop’s old stock. They had plastic wheels, so I set about exchanging them. I discovered that the sideframes hook onto the center frame and sufficient force to allow a wheelset to slip out will pull them out. Fortunately, no damage, and Proto 2000 wheels work well.

I have 3 options for lettering this car:

·        For a PRR, NYC, Erie or other common carrier railroad

·        For GE, Westinghouse or other electrical equipment manufacturer

·        For an electric utility, with Consumers Power, Northern Indiana Public Service and American Electric Power being appropriate for the area I model. Or Commonwealth Edison, where I worked for 30 years and which owned similar cars.

Alex Schneider