Photo: SP Freight Cars In State Belt Ry. Train (1940)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: SP Freight Cars In State Belt Ry. Train (1940)

Photo from the San Francisco Public Library:

https://tinyurl.com/3psdkzh4

Photo can be enlarged.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Nelson

Identical ballast hoppers were sold to the WP and lasted many years… last ones were sold to, ummm… IIRC a lumber mill at Lake Alamanor, ESE of Westwood CA.

I cut up a couple shake the box hoppers and was able to make a reasonable standin… it stood out, being very short, very low, but not a gondola.

Dave Nelson

Photo: SP Freight Cars In State Belt Ry. Train (1940)

Photo from the San Francisco Public Library:

https://tinyurl.com/3psdkzh4

Photo can be enlarged.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jan 5, 2022, at 00:10, Dave Nelson <Western.Pacific.203@...> wrote:

Identical ballast hoppers were sold to the WP and lasted many years… last ones were sold to, ummm… IIRC a lumber mill at Lake Alamanor, ESE of Westwood CA.
That was Collins Pine during the times I was spending summers there in Chester, on the shore of Almanor (at least the Chester Boat Landing is) railroad *west* of Westwood. Robert Hanft's _Red River_ goes into the history of Westwood as a company town for the Red River Lumber Company, originally in Minnesota. There's an interesting GN connection from Westwood to the north, and the WP from Susanville as well.

When last I was there (30 or so years ago) the track out of Chester still looked to be in use, and the feed-a-family-sized rainbows were lurking in the streams in the meadow feeding the lake.
--
Little Willie from the mirror sucked the mercury all off
Thinking in his childish error it would cure his whooping cought.