Photo: SP Freight Cars In State Belt Ry. Train (1940)

Bob Chaparro

Photo from the San Francisco Public Library:

https://tinyurl.com/3psdkzh4

Photo can be enlarged.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Nelson

Identical ballast hoppers were sold to the WP and lasted many years… last ones were sold to, ummm… IIRC a lumber mill at Lake Alamanor, ESE of Westwood CA.

I cut up a couple shake the box hoppers and was able to make a reasonable standin… it stood out, being very short, very low, but not a gondola.

Dave Nelson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2022 11:13 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SP Freight Cars In State Belt Ry. Train (1940)

Photo from the San Francisco Public Library:

https://tinyurl.com/3psdkzh4

Photo can be enlarged.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jan 5, 2022, at 00:10, Dave Nelson <Western.Pacific.203@...> wrote:

Identical ballast hoppers were sold to the WP and lasted many years… last ones were sold to, ummm… IIRC a lumber mill at Lake Alamanor, ESE of Westwood CA.
That was Collins Pine during the times I was spending summers there in Chester, on the shore of Almanor (at least the Chester Boat Landing is) railroad *west* of Westwood. Robert Hanft's _Red River_ goes into the history of Westwood as a company town for the Red River Lumber Company, originally in Minnesota. There's an interesting GN connection from Westwood to the north, and the WP from Susanville as well.

When last I was there (30 or so years ago) the track out of Chester still looked to be in use, and the feed-a-family-sized rainbows were lurking in the streams in the meadow feeding the lake.
--
Little Willie from the mirror sucked the mercury all off
Thinking in his childish error it would cure his whooping cought.
At the funeral Willie's mother said to Mrs. Brown,
"Twas a chilly day for Willie when the mercury went down.