Accurail DDR 40’ Boxcar Prototype.

Bruce Griffin

This might be a an easy question for the group. I did do a search on the topic with no related results. I have an old B&0 decorated boxcar I will either give to a new modeler at a train show or turn into a useable prototype model. I am sure Dennis will tell me the prototype and hoping others will give me a source of decals. Or the other case, I  give it to the Historical Society and they use it as a give away for a new member. I have some Walther's hoppers headed in that direction. Thank you for your input.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

O Fenton Wells

Bruce in my opinion is a C&BT, Front Range or McKean kit.  Not sure about the doors.  It is probably not too far off for the M-59 that it looks to be.  Not sure of the ends and the M-59 had 2 different sized doors.  Some more research is needed but it is a good starting point.  I have a bunch of these kits as they represent 10'-4" or 10'-6"IH 40 ft DD cars (depending on your tolerance for that detail. And they came in different roof and end types. Chad Boas makes the doors, ends and side sills for the B&O M-59
My $0.02 worth.  I bashed one of these using the McKean kit and Boas ends and doors and Speedwitch decals (Now National Scale Car Co).  Photo attached
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

O Fenton Wells

Actually, my bad, that photo is of Bob Chapman's Sunshine kit, here is my McKean copy with Boas parts.  Bob's model was my motivation as I couldn't find a Sunshine kit.
Fenton

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 8:18 AM O Fenton Wells via groups.io <srrfan1401=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mike Clements

You have to trim the sill, but it is essentially a Great Northern prototype (series 3500-3999 I think.) 12' doors on 40' car was somewhat passe by the mid 1950s, so you aren't going to find too many more prototypes to match those sides with a diagonal panel roof and late improved dreadnaught ends (Wabash maybe? -  if there are other cars close to this spec I'd love to know). This was a Front Range or McKeen car that Accurail retooled with cast on details and their standard underframe. I have a set of the jumbo GN decals from Champ (first photo of GN 3582) that I still intend to use after I rebuild my Accurail car with Branchline ends.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/gn/gn3582ajs.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/gn/gn-b3975.jpg

Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA
nyc65.wordpress.com

Richard Remiarz

In addition to trimming the side sill (which is based on the GN 3000-3499 series), the roof should be replaced with an overhanging diagonal panel roof.

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

I could be wrong, so someone who knows for sure, jump in but I think the Accurail is a 10’-0” I H car. The C&BT, McKean and Front Range were10’-6” I H cars. Not that big a difference depends on one standards.
Fenton

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Fenton Wells wrote:
"I could be wrong, so someone who knows for sure, jump in but I think the Accurail is a 10’-0” I H car."

You're wrong.

"The C&BT, McKean and Front Range were10’-6” I H cars. Not that big a difference depends on one standards."

You're also wrong about the C&BT models being the same as the McKean and Front Range models.  The C&BT models have the earlier "rolling pin" improved Dreadnaught ends.

You're also wrong about the 6 inches...one of the hallmarks of this era is the "stair-stepped" profiles of trains and cuts of cars, and this small difference is needed to capture this effect.

Ben Hom

Jeff Helm

Rich,

What are the options for the overhanging diagonal panel roof?  This seems to be one of those “missing” detail parts, for GN modelers in particular.

--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch
https://olympicpeninsulabranch.blogspot.com/

Tim O'Connor

Here is Bob Chapman's M-59 Sunshine model for comparison.

On 1/3/2022 4:28 AM, Bruce Griffin wrote:
This might be a an easy question for the group. I did do a search on the topic with no related results. I have an old B&0 decorated boxcar I will either give to a new modeler at a train show or turn into a useable prototype model. I am sure Dennis will tell me the prototype and hoping others will give me a source of decals. Or the other case, I  give it to the Historical Society and they use it as a give away for a new member. I have some Walther's hoppers headed in that direction. Thank you for your input.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Benjamin Hom

Jeff Helm asked:
"What are the options for the overhanging diagonal panel roof?  This seems to be one of those “missing” detail parts, for GN modelers in particular."

One option is to shorten one of the Moloco 50 ft roofs; unfortunately, the one with the running board mounting points is currently out of stock.

Tim O'Connor

Actually, the Moloco roof represents the late 1950's version. The earlier panels were slightly different
(different enough that when Intermountain did the R-40-25 JP Barger made them recut the roof to match
the early design) and are represented by the overhanging diagonal panel (aka ZU eave) roof produced by
Branchline (now Atlas). The Moloco roof is technically superior tooling, if that makes a difference.

Tim O'Connor

On 1/3/2022 11:03 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Jeff Helm asked:
"What are the options for the overhanging diagonal panel roof?  This seems to be one of those “missing” detail parts, for GN modelers in particular."

One option is to shorten one of the Moloco 50 ft roofs; unfortunately, the one with the running board mounting points is currently out of stock.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Staffan Ehnbom

I built this McKeen GN3500-3999 box in 1985 trimming the GN3000-3499 type side sill and adding a shortened Pacific HO roof.
Staffan Ehnbom

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 4:33 PM Jeff Helm <jeff.helm.60@...> wrote:
Rich,

What are the options for the overhanging diagonal panel roof?  This seems to be one of those “missing” detail parts, for GN modelers in particular.

--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch
https://olympicpeninsulabranch.blogspot.com/

O Fenton Wells

Ben according to CB&T sheets they offered different ends and roofs for their boxcars. Please see the attached
Fenton

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 11:03 AM Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:
Jeff Helm asked:
"What are the options for the overhanging diagonal panel roof?  This seems to be one of those “missing” detail parts, for GN modelers in particular."

One option is to shorten one of the Moloco 50 ft roofs; unfortunately, the one with the running board mounting points is currently out of stock.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Bob Chaparro

I like this car!
Many good chalk marks and car tags/placard.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

The "tapered ends" appeared at the very end of his production of the kits with separate ladders and grabs,
unfortunately. They are a useful type of end seen on some cars beginning in the mid or late 1950's.

On 1/3/2022 11:58 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:
Ben according to CB&T sheets they offered different ends and roofs for their boxcars. Please see the attached
Fenton

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 11:03 AM Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:
Jeff Helm asked:
"What are the options for the overhanging diagonal panel roof?  This seems to be one of those “missing” detail parts, for GN modelers in particular."

One option is to shorten one of the Moloco 50 ft roofs; unfortunately, the one with the running board mounting points is currently out of stock.
Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Bob, thanks to you I was inspired to give it a try.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 1:12 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I like this car!
Many good chalk marks and car tags/placard.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Richard Remiarz

Jeff,

As Staffan already wrote, he built his model using a shortened Pacific HO roof.  More recently Ted Fandel built a model of these cars using a shortened Accurail 50’ overhanging diagonal panel roof.  This model was featured in the September 2018 GNRHS Modelers’ Pages.

Sincerely, Rich Remiarz

Sent from Mail for Windows