Shell tankcar for my Quincy-model-RR

Fred Jansz

Hello all,
I'm modeling Quincy, CA in 1949.
Besides lumber being one of the main factors of existence of the QRR, I found 4 oil dealers located in Quincy: Associated, Union, Standard and Shell.
Looking for matching tank cars, I found these two prototype pictures of Shell cars.
SCCX667 was on WP track in 1949, the SCCX673 on GN track.
But I wonder; were these oil cars? Is there a model?
Thanks for your help.
regards, Fred Jansz

Tim O'Connor

Some of the SCCX cars were ACF Type 21's, and in fact Proto 2000 sold cars decorated correctly for the Shell tank cars.

I've attached Gene Deimling's Proto:48 kitbash from a Lionel model.

On 1/17/2022 7:47 AM, Fred Jansz wrote:
Hello all,
I'm modeling Quincy, CA in 1949.
Besides lumber being one of the main factors of existence of the QRR, I found 4 oil dealers located in Quincy: Associated, Union, Standard and Shell.
Looking for matching tank cars, I found these two prototype pictures of Shell cars.
SCCX667 was on WP track in 1949, the SCCX673 on GN track.
But I wonder; were these oil cars? Is there a model?
Thanks for your help.
regards, Fred Jansz

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

Fred,

These cars appear to be 10,000 gallon cars built by Standard Tank Car Company as witnessed by the heavy combination bolster and tank saddle and the safety valves placed opposite one another on the centerline of the tank dome top.

There is a similar car at the Western Railway Museum.  See

SCCX 662 - Western Railway Museum (wrm.org)

They may well have been hauling refined petroleum products.

Southern Car and Foundry makes some 8000 gallon STCCo tank cars, so it might be possible to combine than underframe with a 10K Intermountain tank to produce a reasonable model of one of these cars.

It is reasonably likely that the Standard jobber would receive products in UTLX tank cars, like the future Rapido model.

Steve Hile

Besides lumber being one of the main factors of existence of the QRR, I found 4 oil dealers located in Quincy: Associated, Union, Standard and Shell.
Looking for matching tank cars, I found these two prototype pictures of Shell cars.
SCCX667 was on WP track in 1949, the SCCX673 on GN track.
But I wonder; were these oil cars? Is there a model?
Thanks for your help.
regards, Fred Jansz

Bruce Hendrick

Are you modeling in HO Scale?

If so, the aforementioned Proto2000 Type 21 8000 gallon car was offered by Walthers in both a yellow Shell scheme and in black, similar to your images but with a Shell image above road numbers. Sold as a single car and as a 6-pack. The P2K Type 21 cars are high quality, well-detailed models but do some research if you are concerned with an exact match to Shell cars.

Apparently discontinued currently but likely will eventually show up in secondary markets. Currently one Shell car is listed on eBay but it is in kit form. These kits are not “shake the box” and require some time & patience.

Also, considered that UTLX and GATX cars were more common that oil company-owned cars so you may wish to research the cars actually used at the oil facilities you mentioned.

Bruce Hendrick
Brea, California

Tim O'Connor

Shell had cars of this size and class from more than one builder and era. I just mentioned
the Proto cars because that's a car that is both correct and readily available - even RTR.

Tim O'Connor

On 1/17/2022 11:14 AM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

[...]

Edited

Thanks Tim and others for your help & advise,
I see Gene's car's air reservoir has been serviced at Oroville, WP!
Beautiful model. Decals probably by Protocraft, wish they were available in HO too.
I guess the Shell logo was added when the WRM car was restored by the Shell guys (in the 1960's?).
Both of the pics I posted do not show the Shell herald, but a company name.
But maybe these are early cars and they later added the Shell herald.
cheers, Fred

Brian Termunde

Fred;
While I am sorry I can't help you, but don't you mean just the WP? There was only the Quincy RR serving Quincy and they only connected directly with the WP.

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Murray, Utah

Shell tankcar for my Quincy-model-RR
From: Fred Jansz
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 04:47:28 PST
Hello all,
I'm modeling Quincy, CA in 1949.
Besides lumber being one of the main factors of existence of the QRR, I found 4 oil dealers located in Quincy: Associated, Union, Standard and Shell.
Looking for matching tank cars, I found these two prototype pictures of Shell cars.
SCCX667 was on WP track in 1949, the SCCX673 on GN track.
But I wonder; were these oil cars? Is there a model?
Thanks for your help.
regards, Fred Jansz

Tim O'Connor

No, the Shell corporate emblem was applied in the 1950's or earlier. The proto photo I posted of the Type 21
at Taylor Yard is probably from 1958 plus or minus 1 year.

On 1/17/2022 4:21 PM, Fred Jansz wrote:
Thanks Tim,
I see Gene's car's air reservoir has been serviced at Oroville, WP!
Beautiful model. Decals probably by Protocraft, wish they were available in HO too.
I guess the Shell logo was added when the car was restored by the Shell guys (in the 1960's?).
Both of the pics I posted do not show the Shell herald, but a company name.
cheers, Fred

Sterling, Massachusetts

Fred Jansz

Tim,
your prototype picture with the emblem says 11-57 on the car.
My picture of the car in the WP train -with SHELL, no emblem- is taken August 1949.
My wild guess is that the emblem was added in the mid 1950's, when all US rr cars got more colorful and more emblems.
Since I model 1949 strictly, there should be no emblem on my Shell car, just the name.
Wish there was a decal set in HO.
regards, Fred

Fred Jansz

Edited

All,
the Southern Car & Foundry tank car is sold out.
The P2k 8000G car has the 1st and 4th straps in the wrong place; they enter the bolster, while they should be at the edges of the car, near the rivet lines.
Also the frame is wrong, the dome valve config too and then there's the lettering.
I wonder if 'my' SCCX cars are 8000 Gallons, the might be 10K.
The Walters RPX car has SHELL lettering but has the same flaws as the P2K car.
The search continues.... (© pics internet)

regards
Fred Jansz

Fred Jansz

Brian,
I model both, but main portion of the layout is Quincy RR yard and part of town.
There were many oil dealers in Quincy back in the day.
Some of them survived up to now.
Even the remains of the old station building are still present and in use (as office I think).
Fred Jansz

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jan 17, 2022, at 14:21, Brian Termunde via groups.io <GCRDS@...> wrote:

Fred;
While I am sorry I can't help you, but don't you mean just the WP? There was only the Quincy RR serving Quincy and they only connected directly with the WP.
... at Quincy Junction, to be pedantic.
--
The thong is ended but the malady lingers on

Brian Termunde

Fred;
Thanks for your reply. I really like the Quincy myself.

Take care,

Brian R. Termunde
Murray, UT

Re: Shell tankcar for my Quincy-model-RR
From: Fred Jansz
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 04:36:32 PST

Brian,
I model both, but main portion of the layout is Quincy RR yard and part of town.
There were many oil dealers in Quincy back in the day.
Some of them survived up to now.
Even the remains of the old station building are still present and in use (as office I think).
Fred Jansz

brianleppert@att.net

Walthers sold HO decals for a Shell tank car, #1185 with white lettering for our time periods.  Attached are two photos of Shell tank cars

SCCX 1290  Tracy, CA in 1952

SCCX 620  Los Angeles in 1955  built by Pennsylvania Tank Car Co.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

brianleppert@att.net

Edited

And one more photo.

Tacoma, WA  1955

Schleigh Mike

In the "For What it is Worth" department, this photo that Brian Leppert posted, of SCCX (SHELL) 164, is from Bob's Photo (taken by Col. Chet McCoid) and is also found on page 113 of Steam Era Freight Cars Ref. Manual Volume Two: Tank Cars, from Speedwitch Media.  It might be of further interest that this actual car is on display at the Tittusville & Oil Creek RR museum in that operation's namesake village in western Pennsylvania.

Regards from nearby Grove City----Mike Schleigh

Thomas Birkett <tnbirke@...>

Further: for what it is worth.

I am almost positive that this car has been in lube oil service for a good portion of it career, with an alternate being heavy fuel oil, Number 6 or Bunker C.

It looks just like cars PSPX 11-15 (built 1960) which were part of the Phillips fleet I managed and those cars ran out of our Kansas City, Kansas refinery. After that refinery closed, which was after this list ended some were in Borger solvent service and the rest in contract lube oil service.

Tom Birkett

Bartlesville, OK

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 9:01 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

I agree with you Bruce that we cannot assume the emblem was added in 6-47 but the practically identical amount
of weathering on the emblem when compared to the reporting marks also makes it impossible to dismiss the idea that
the emblem was added at the time of reweigh. But, modelers are safe to avoid the emblem since many cars without
emblems were around all through the 1950's.

I've attached a shot of a no-emblem car that was still active in the 1970's.

Tim O'Connor

On 1/19/2022 8:02 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Fred,

Careful with the assumptions. Since this is a tank car, it may not have been reweighed when the logo was painted onto it. Thus the reweight of 6-47 is not an accurate indication of the date of the paint scheme. It is my belief, based on other photos of tank cars, that tank cars were at least occasionally stenciled with an old reweight date (or even the NEW date) when they were repainted.

Regards,

Bruce Smith