MILW 6000-6499 Boxcars - Looking for photos and info

Ray Breyer

More filler:
In 1936, the Milwaukee rebuilt ONE single sheathed boxcar into an all-steel box, number 594525. That project went nowhere on its own, but proofed the welding techniques used later.

In early 1937, the Milwaukee built two groups of auto boxcars from the ground up. #6000-6499 were 40 foot cars, and 13000-13499 were 50 foot. Both groups were smooth sided.

Finally, in late 1937 the road built cars 13500-13999, the first of the rib sided cars.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 10:30:50 AM CST, Eric Lombard <elombard@...> wrote:

Ken, here is some data that may interest you. The xlsx file of early welded MILW box cars helps put 6000-6499 in perspective. The txt file provides some physical features, demographics and ORER counts and renumbering over the service life of the series.

Hope these are helpful
Eric L
Homewood, IL

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 9:01 PM Ken Roth <krowth3249@...> wrote:
I am looking for info on MILW boxcars in the series 6000-6499.  Car number 6293 appears in a 1950 wheel report in my possession.  1950 ORER lists these as "all steel" 40' double-door cars, but curiously there appear to be only 104 cars left.  Is this perhaps a steel rebuild?  Photos or any other information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ken Roth

Eric Lombard

I should add that these are NOT rib side cars. The side sheets are seam-welded providing for a smooth exterior surface and have a side presentation   | | [ | ] | | | |   where the outermost verticles are the end corners and the others are welded seams. The double doors are represented by [ | ]

Eric L

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:30 AM Eric Lombard <elombard@...> wrote:
[...]

Good guess Clark.  Actually after posting last night, a friend found a picture of one.  It looks like an early attempt at all welded, but vertical welds with no ribs.  The rest of the car looks like the earliest rib-side class.  Hopefully someone else will offer additional photos and a car diagram.   The picture my friend found was in a Morning Sun MILW color photo book.  Its pretty fuzzy, so can't model from that alone, but my first thought would be to bash the sides for use with an Accurail DD 40' ribside.

Ken Roth

Clark Propst

Without looking I'd say these are DD ribside cars. Made my Ribside Cars abd now offered by Accurail.
Hope that's right?
Clark Propst

Ken Roth