Rail transport of ice (Was: Mobile Icing .....)

Tom Madden

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 06:10 AM, Ken O'Brien wrote:
The Lackawanna harvested a lot of ice around Gouldsboro, PA and hauled it towards NYC
My brother-in-law and I spent several hours at the Gouldsboro depot last October talking about ice harvesting with the volunteers. (I grew up in that area.) They mentioned NYC and Philadelphia as destinations for ice from the region, but also mentioned ice being shipped as far south as Florida. This surprised me, but perhaps it shouldn't have. My parents (1904-1961 and 1906-1981) always referred to the refrigerator as the "ice box", and I don't consider that term an anachronism. The Pocono ice houses were huge, much larger than would seem to be needed for re-icing produce and meat reefers, or in the many milk cars serving the region. The Pocono ice business tapered off through the early and mid 1950s, somewhat in advance of the widespread use of mechanical refrigeration in railcars, but pretty well synchronized with the mass replacement of the old "ice boxes" with affordable electric refrigerators. So perhaps the main use was for domestic and commercial purposes, and from the railroads' standpoint the ice would more likely be cargo than consumable.

(I have a family interest in this. My father-in-law was the last commercial ice cutter in the Poconos, harvesting until the late 1960s. He harvested from a small lake, which he kept free of snow once the ice started forming, stored the harvest in a stone ice house, and sold it in the summer to tourists and vacationers from his garage and service station. People would go out of their way to buy his ice as it was colder, denser and clearer than commercial block or bagged ice. The harvest itself was a community effort, as it took a dozen or more men to cut, move and store the many tons of ice.)

Tom Madden

Craig Wilson

There were many "ice service" refrigerator cars.  I have seen pictures of ART. FGE and PFE cars lettered for this service.  Intermountain produced a model (47739) for a wood FGE car.  I was introduced to this when Mark Vaughan included "ART ICE SERVICE ONLY" lettering on one of his Wabash combination decal sets.  I was told that the (steel) ART cars delivered ice to Wabash (and subsidiary Ann Arbor RR too) company facilities such as depots, freight houses, shops and anywhere else where ice was needed.  I always thought that would make an interesting operation to include on a layout . . .

Craig Wilson

Kenneth Montero

Red Caboose made an "Ice Service" PFE reefer -kit no. 4114f (PFE orange).

Westerfield made (1) a B&O (ex-FGE, ex-PRR) R-7 Ice Service reefer, kit no. 11664;  (2) an AT&SF BX-3/6 (if insulated for Ice Service)

Ken Montero

On 02/17/2022 3:40 PM Craig Wilson <agecompanyphotog@...> wrote:

There were many "ice service" refrigerator cars.  I have seen pictures of ART. FGE and PFE cars lettered for this service.  Intermountain produced a model (47739) for a wood FGE car.  I was introduced to this when Mark Vaughan included "ART ICE SERVICE ONLY" lettering on one of his Wabash combination decal sets.  I was told that the (steel) ART cars delivered ice to Wabash (and subsidiary Ann Arbor RR too) company facilities such as depots, freight houses, shops and anywhere else where ice was needed.  I always thought that would make an interesting operation to include on a layout . . .

Craig Wilson

Bob Chaparro

Just a factoid...PFE ice service reefers serviced PFE facilities. Southern Pacific had their own fleet of ice service reefers (ex-PFE cars as I recall) to service SP facilities.
Bob Chaparro
Moderator

Railroad Citrus Industry Modeling Group

https://groups.io/g/RailroadCitrusIndustryModelingGroup

Jeffrey White

Here is an IC ice service reefer:

Jeff White Alma IL

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Just a factoid...PFE ice service reefers serviced PFE facilities. Southern Pacific had their own fleet of ice service reefers (ex-PFE cars as I recall) to service SP facilities.
It’s assigned to passenger ice needs at Oakland Pier; the photo was taken at West Oakland. Photo and info is in my Box Car book, Vol. 4 of the series _Southern Pacific Freight Cars_ in Chapter 4.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

I like that photo but it's way after the STMFC era.
I think it's one of the IC "R-40-10" clone reefers.

On 2/18/2022 4:49 PM, Jeffrey White wrote:

Here is an IC ice service reefer:

Jeff White Alma IL

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jeffrey White

Tim,

Built by GATX in 1940 according to the NEW date stenciled on the car..  The diagram in the 1954 diagram book says 1941 and 42 for those numbers.  I know the photo is after the date of the list, but the car isn't and company ice service was a thing in the stem era.  I don't have any idea when it went into company service.

Jeff White Alma IL

ite wrote:

Here is an IC ice service reefer:

Jeff White Alma IL

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

I think built by GATC (not X) in 1937 is all I have seen in clear photos, but maybe some
were built in 1940? In any case they are very similar to the PFE R-40-10 which was built
beginning in 1936. For example the door hinges are different. Maybe that's a manufacturer
difference?

Tim O'Connor

On 2/18/2022 9:18 PM, Jeffrey White wrote:

Tim,

Built by GATX in 1940 according to the NEW date stenciled on the car..  The diagram in the 1954 diagram book says 1941 and 42 for those numbers.  I know the photo is after the date of the list, but the car isn't and company ice service was a thing in the stem era.  I don't have any idea when it went into company service.

Jeff White Alma IL

On 2/18/2022 7:17 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I like that photo but it's way after the STMFC era.
I think it's one of the IC "R-40-10" clone reefers.

On 2/18/2022 4:49 PM, Jeffrey White wrote:

Here is an IC ice service reefer:

Jeff White Alma IL

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

And I just noticed the PFE door is taller as well

On 2/18/2022 10:25 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
[...]

_.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jeffrey White

Tim,

Here is the diagram for that car series.  I can't explain why the car has 1940 stenciled on it and the diagram says 1941-1942.

Here is the page from the 1960 equipment roster. It shows the average age of those cars on 1 January 1960 as 18 years.

Jeff White Alma IL

On 2/18/2022 9:27 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

[...]

Jeff

Okay! Now it all makes sense. The 50000-50299 were built in 1937, and then 50300-50499
were built in 1941-1942. The 1941-1942 cars have W-corner post ends, while the 1937 cars
have S-corner post ends (like the PFE R-40-10). All of them built by GATC.

Tim O'Connor