Boxcar Floor warped

Gary McMills

-------- Original Message --------

Hi Gentlemen,

I recently bought a Funaro & Camerlengo USRA double sheath Boxcar kit at a show and I have noticed that both ends of the car floor are bent about 0.125" down out of the plane.

What is the best way to remedy this situation?

Should I let the car floor set in a pan of warm water to relax it or what ?

Gary McMills

Vicksburg Miss.

hubert mask

Contact the manufacturer would be best advise. 

Hubert Mask

On Feb 17, 2022, at 5:32 PM, Gary McMills <santafe@...> wrote:

Hi Gentlemen,

I recently bought a Funaro & Camerlengo USRA double sheath Boxcar kit at a show and I have noticed that both ends of the car floor are bent about 0.125" down out of the plane.

Gary McMills

Vicksburg Miss.

Pierre Oliver

straightening warped resin is easy
Very hot water, not quite boiling, immerse the part briefly. remove and lay on a flat surface. let cool. repeat if required

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 2/17/22 5:31 p.m., Gary McMills wrote:

Hi Gentlemen,

Gary McMills

Vicksburg Miss.

Chuck Cover

Hi Gary,

I have straightened out warped floors on several kits by preheating the oven to 150 degrees, then turn the oven off.  Place the warped floor on a metal flat pan and slide it in the oven.  Let it sit until cool.  It will usually straighten.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Gary McMills

Thanks Pierre , I thought I read about that procedure in the past.

Gary McMills

On 2022-02-17 16:38, Pierre Oliver wrote:

straightening warped resin is easy
Very hot water, not quite boiling, immerse the part briefly. remove and lay on a flat surface. let cool. repeat if required

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 2/17/22 5:31 p.m., Gary McMills wrote:

Hi Gentlemen,

Gary McMills

Vicksburg Miss.

mopacfirst

I'll comment that the "preheat to 150 F -- TURN OFF -- put part on a flat plate (cookie sheet) for 10 min" is in Sunshine general instructions and it works.  My additional comment is that this works first time on thinner parts like car sides.  Thicker parts, like floors and one-piece molded roofs, probably need at least two of these treatments because each time the part relaxes a little but not completely.  

On occasion, I have used ACC to attach styrene stiffeners behind a boxcar side because the fitup still was not optimal even after this treatment.  Just bear in mind, the combined resin side + styrene stiffener may still exhibit a warp, depending on the relative size and orientation of this part.  You have to watch this technique, because those stiffeners might get in the way of, say, drilling grab irons, or weights that might already have been glued to the floor.  Ask me how I know.

On a related note, I ended up needing to glue large stiffeners to the floors of some Walthers ex-proto boxcars because of floor warping.  Worked, and added a tiny bit of weight.

Another related note -- a brass stiffener is much more stiff than a styrene one, but you run the risk of differential expansion between the brass and the resin.

Ron Merrick

Benjamin Hom

Gary McMills wrote:
"I recently bought a Funaro & Camerlengo USRA double sheath Boxcar kit at a show and I have noticed that both ends of the car floor are bent about 0.125" down out of the plane.  What is the best way to remedy this situation?"

If all else fails, there's Accurail #105, 40 ft Fishbelly Underframe.  You may have to do some adjusting to get it to fit the resin carbody.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Gary

Most floor castings are easy to fix, because they have a FLAT side.

Put casting flat side down on sheet of 1/4" or 3/8" tempered glass* in an oven
preheated to about 150 degrees. Turn the oven off and leave the glass in there
for a couple of hours until it's cool again. Put WEIGHT on top of the casting
as well to make sure it cools FLAT. Your floor is now fixed. I know this works
because I've done it several times with alumilite (yellow stuff) and other resins.
The temperature doesn't have to be exact - 140 to 160 range.

One piece bodies often also have one 'flat' side, so a similar technique can be
used with them, except that I block the interiors with wood blocks to keep things
as square as possible.

Tim O'Connor

* my 3/8" tempered glass plate was made by a local glass shop - very cheap to do
and a really useful tool because it is perfectly flat. And tempered glass is very strong.

Hi Gentlemen,

Gary McMills

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

william darnaby

Over some thirty years of building resin and encountering all manner of warped sides, ends and roofs and I have found the best remedy is to have on hand a flat piece of steel with enough mass to be a good heat sink.  I heat the metal in the oven to 150F.  When hot I take the metal out of the oven and place the offending part on the metal.  The part will absorb the heat from the metal and it can be manipulated to flatten it or even take the vertical bow out of a side of a flat kit using straight edge as a guide.  I have even taken the hump out of the roof of a one piece body with this method.  The method is very controlled with little risk of part damage.

Bill Darnaby

Hi Gentlemen,

Gary McMills

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Nelson Moyer

That’s the method recommended in Sunshine kit instructions, though Martin didn’t specify steel. I use a piece of ½ in. plate glass, and it works fine, though I’ve had to heat more than once for badly warped parts. The only uncertainty with oven heating is that oven thermostats aren’t very accurate at low temps like 150° F, and the temperature dial may not go that low, so there’s some guesswork on the oven setting. My 40 year old oven dial starts at 200°, and below that it just says WARM.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of william darnaby
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2022 4:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Boxcar Floor warped

Over some thirty years of building resin and encountering all manner of warped sides, ends and roofs and I have found the best remedy is to have on hand a flat piece of steel with enough mass to be a good heat sink.  I heat the metal in the oven to 150F.  When hot I take the metal out of the oven and place the offending part on the metal.  The part will absorb the heat from the metal and it can be manipulated to flatten it or even take the vertical bow out of a side of a flat kit using straight edge as a guide.  I have even taken the hump out of the roof of a one piece body with this method.  The method is very controlled with little risk of part damage.

Bill Darnaby

Hi Gentlemen,

Gary McMills

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Christopher J. Palermo

Low oven temperatures can be checked by placing the glass plate or metal sheet in a rimmed baking sheet, then clipping the probe of a meat thermometer to the rim using a binder clip so it is measuring ambient air temperature in the oven. This adds a lot of confidence compared to relying on the oven dial.

Chris 

Kenneth Montero

Alternatively, one can buy an ambient air oven thermometer and place it on the glass sheet or metal plate. These thermometers come with their own stand (no binder clip needed) and are inexpensive - prices start at around $5.00.

Ken Montero

On 02/19/2022 9:36 AM Christopher J. Palermo <cjpalermo1964@...> wrote:

Low oven temperatures can be checked by placing the glass plate or metal sheet in a rimmed baking sheet, then clipping the probe of a meat thermometer to the rim using a binder clip so it is measuring ambient air temperature in the oven. This adds a lot of confidence compared to relying on the oven dial.

Chris