From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf
Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2022 12:01 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] SEEKING PHOTOS

I am looking for photos of a Rock Island refer in the 87900 series. Would
greatly appreciate any help.

Bill Pardie

Tim O'Connor

On 2/22/2022 1:39 PM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

Bill, with a number like that, it would more likely be a hopper car.  Such
as they were, the RI reefers were numbered in 6xxxx series.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,
Steve Hile

 I am looking for photos of a Rock Island refer in the 87900 series. Would
greatly appreciate any help.

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

Plus the RI sold their reefers to GATC in 1932, leasing back those it needed but now with GARX reporting marks.

Steve Hile

 I am looking for photos of a Rock Island refer in the 87900 series. Would
greatly appreciate any help.

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts

WILLIAM PARDIE

Ouch!  Thanks Steve.  Glad to know that before I built the car.

Bill Pardie

Plus the RI sold their reefers to GATC in 1932, leasing back those it needed but now with GARX reporting marks.

Steve Hile

 I am looking for photos of a Rock Island refer in the 87900 series. Would
greatly appreciate any help.

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts

WILLIAM PARDIE

Well, it looks like I can still do the car with the Rock Island herald and GARX reporting marks.

Bill Pardie

Ouch!  Thanks Steve.  Glad to know that before I built the car.

Bill Pardie

Plus the RI sold their reefers to GATC in 1932, leasing back those it needed but now with GARX reporting marks.

Steve Hile

 I am looking for photos of a Rock Island refer in the 87900 series. Would
greatly appreciate any help.

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts

Larger size.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2022 at 4:23 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

:-)

On 2/22/2022 3:53 PM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

Plus the RI sold their reefers to GATC in 1932, leasing back those it needed but now with GARX reporting marks.

Steve Hile

 I am looking for photos of a Rock Island refer in the 87900 series. Would
greatly appreciate any help.

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tony Thompson

Steve Hile wrote;

Plus the RI sold their reefers to GATC in 1932, leasing back those it needed but now with GARX reporting marks.

Don’t forget that Rock Island approached PFE about 1950, asking if they could get the same deal the WP had (buy the reefers, let PFE run them, receive payments for use). I wrote about that, and made a “what if” model, as described here:

But PFE turned them down.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Perhaps UP nixed that idea, since the Rock Island could siphon off some
Overland Route revenues. Not a problem with the SP as I can figure. WP on
the other hand, would seem much more of a siphon on the SP.

Steve Hile wrote;

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Perhaps UP nixed that idea, since the Rock Island could siphon off some
Overland Route revenues. Not a problem with the SP as I can figure. WP on
the other hand, would seem much more of a siphon on the SP.

Yes, UP objected that RI was a competitor of theirs in the Midwest. Both SP and UP objected to the fact that there was no convenient PFE shop facility near RI territory, and that the volume of RI perishable business was paltry; had a similar harvest season to UP, so no benefit from “out of season” cars; and eastward trips from RI territory were shorter, thus generating less PFE revenue.

Tony Thompson

Kenneth Montero

Some of the photos of the Rock Island paint scheme with a drawing of the car also appear in a Mainline Modeler article about this refrigerator car. (Mainline Modeler, April 1999, starting at page 43)

That article, and a discussion of the Marketing East/Taurus Products/Trout Creek Engineering kit and defects in the MM drawing are discussed in my prior email in this group's records:
I have the instructions for that kit, if you need them.

The instructions say that the history in the instructions came from George Berisso and Prototype Modeler (without specifying any particular issue of that magazine), It said thast the cars were Rock Island nos. 67750 through 67799 were built by General American Car Company in 1924 with a 40 ton capacity, with a AAR classification of RS.

Ken Montero

On 02/22/2022 1:47 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

On 2/22/2022 1:39 PM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:
Bill, with a number like that, it would more likely be a hopper car.  Such
as they were, the RI reefers were numbered in 6xxxx series.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,
Steve Hile

 I am looking for photos of a Rock Island refer in the 87900 series. Would
greatly appreciate any help.

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts

WILLIAM PARDIE

For the real old timers who never threw anything away drawings of this car and a photo were featured in one of the early TRAIN. SHED CYCLOPEDIA series..  I feel fortunate that I have about eight issues of this and regularly refer to them.

Bill Pardie

 I am looking for photos of a Rock Island refer in the 87900 series. Would
greatly appreciate any help.

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts

Kenneth Montero

Tony,

Interestingly enough, the Marketing East/Taurus Products/Trout Creek Engineering kit for the Rock Island reefer was also sold as a PFE R-30-13 - with notes from Nelson McCormick and Prototype Modeler.

Ken Montero

Steve Hile wrote;

Ken Montero wrote:

 Interestingly enough, the Marketing East/Taurus Products/Trout Creek Engineering kit for the Rock Island reefer was also sold as a PFE R-30-13 - with notes from Nelson McCormick and Prototype Modeler.

I know, I have one of the PFE versions and have built it. It is certainly close the the PFE design if not exact. Since GATC was building PFE cars in the 1920s, it’s very possible that the Rock Island cars were copies. PFE routinely allowed use of their drawings that way.

Tony Thompson

Earl Tuson

Interestingly enough, the Marketing East/Taurus Products/Trout Creek Engineering kit for the Rock Island reefer was also sold as a PFE R-30-13 - with notes from Nelson McCormick and Prototype Modeler.
I know, I have one of the PFE versions and have built it. It is certainly close the the PFE design if not exact. Since GATC was building PFE cars in the 1920s, it's very possible that the Rock Island cars were copies. PFE routinely allowed use of their drawings that way.
The '31 CBC included drawing of both. They are virtually the same, with only a few very minor differences that would be irrelevant to most modelers. For example, the cast draft arms for one are for a horizontal coupler yoke (two draft keys,) while the other is suitable for a vertical yoke (one key.) The single I beam appears to have a slightly longer splice plate where it is cut to taper to the bolster on one of the cars in comparison to the other. But, the carbody and underframe is the same design.

Earl Tuson

Another unique feature of this car is the small button/mushroom vents mounted on the upper ends

Rich Christie

On Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 09:19:11 PM CST, Earl Tuson <etuson@...> wrote:

> > Interestingly enough, the Marketing East/Taurus Products/Trout Creek Engineering kit for the Rock Island reefer was also sold as a PFE R-30-13 - with notes from Nelson McCormick and Prototype Modeler.

> I know, I have one of the PFE versions and have built it. It is
> certainly close the the PFE design if not exact. Since GATC was
> building PFE cars in the 1920s, it's very possible that the Rock Island
> cars were copies. PFE routinely allowed use of their drawings that way.

The '31 CBC included drawing of both. They are virtually the same, with
only a few very minor differences that would be irrelevant to most
modelers. For example, the cast draft arms for one are for a horizontal
coupler yoke (two draft keys,) while the other is suitable for a
vertical yoke (one key.) The single I beam appears to have a slightly
longer splice plate where it is cut  to taper to the bolster on one of
the cars in comparison to the other. But, the carbody and underframe is
the same design.

Earl Tuson

Kenneth Montero

Tony,

Thank you for the additional insight. I am sure that this will help a host of modelers.

Ken Montero

On 02/23/2022 2:27 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Ken Montero wrote:

 Interestingly enough, the Marketing East/Taurus Products/Trout Creek Engineering kit for the Rock Island reefer was also sold as a PFE R-30-13 - with notes from Nelson McCormick and Prototype Modeler.

I know, I have one of the PFE versions and have built it. It is certainly close the the PFE design if not exact. Since GATC was building PFE cars in the 1920s, it’s very possible that the Rock Island cars were copies. PFE routinely allowed use of their drawings that way.

Tony Thompson

ron christensen

Probably not the right type of reefer, but it might help.
 I took this at Silvis in 2004
Ron Christensen