NRC wood sheathed reefer ID c1940-48

Robert kirkham

I am looking for modelling options for this NRC wood reefer.  I don’t know much about the NRC line except what i’ve picked up reading on this list.   Searching the archives, most of the previous conversations tend to be about later composite or all steel cars, and so i am not sure where to start for this one.

Rob

Robert kirkham

That turned out to be a surprisingly small image.  Here is a link to the larger image, and if you click on the image it expands to full size.

rob

On Mar 8, 2022, at 10:35 PM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

I am looking for modelling options for this NRC wood reefer.  I don’t know much about the NRC line except what i’ve picked up reading on this list.   Searching the archives, most of the previous conversations tend to be about later composite or all steel cars, and so i am not sure where to start for this one.

Rob

<PastedGraphic-33.png>

lrkdbn

Illinois Ry Museum, Pullman Library has drawings of this sort of NRC reefer- Pullman drawing 504 F 58 is a very complete general arrangement of NRC 6000-6499. from 10-30-1926.Pullman lot nos. 5402 and 5416.
AFAIK the later 7xxx cars were the same.My intentions to model them would involve an Accurail reefer as a starting point.-depending on how far you want to go you would need to change to a wood outer roof, add channel end sills, remove the ladders and the sheathing retainer strap along the bottom of the sides and maybe rework the underframe. You might even consider lowering the heigth of the sides. Good luck!
Larry King

Robert kirkham

Thanks for that info Larry.  Sounds like a fin project.  Will have to see about getting a copy of those drawings then.

Those modifications to the Accurail car sound a little bit like the way some outfits re built actual reefers in the 1930s.  What is the quote?  Something like “they propped up the car number, and replaced everything else”, lol.

Rob

On Mar 9, 2022, at 4:34 AM, lrkdbn via groups.io <lrkdbn@...> wrote:

Illinois Ry Museum, Pullman Library has drawings of this sort of NRC reefer- Pullman drawing 504 F 58 is a very complete general arrangement of NRC 6000-6499. from 10-30-1926.Pullman lot nos. 5402 and 5416.
AFAIK the later 7xxx cars were the same.My intentions to model them would involve an Accurail reefer as a starting point.-depending on how far you want to go you would need to change to a wood outer roof, add channel end sills, remove the ladders and the sheathing retainer strap along the bottom of the sides and maybe rework the underframe. You might even consider lowering the heigth of the sides. Good luck!
Larry King

Jack Mullen

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 10:52 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
Here is a link to the larger image
But there is no link...
...and the small image is quite interesting.

Jack Mullen

Robert kirkham

On Mar 9, 2022, at 12:41 PM, Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 10:52 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
Here is a link to the larger image
But there is no link...
...and the small image is quite interesting.

Jack Mullen

ROGER HINMAN

My eyes are getting old, can anyone read the number on the car?; I may be able to verify the info Larry gave is correct for this particular car. A large amount of their wood cars were renumbered in the 1940s

Roger Hinman

On Mar 9, 2022, at 1:35 AM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

I am looking for modelling options for this NRC wood reefer.  I don’t know much about the NRC line except what i’ve picked up reading on this list.   Searching the archives, most of the previous conversations tend to be about later composite or all steel cars, and so i am not sure where to start for this one.

Rob

<PastedGraphic-33.png>

Robert kirkham

Its quite pixilated.  My guess would be 5405 or 7405.

Rob

On Mar 9, 2022, at 1:39 PM, ROGER HINMAN via groups.io <rhinman11@...> wrote:

My eyes are getting old, can anyone read the number on the car?; I may be able to verify the info Larry gave is correct for this particular car. A large amount of their wood cars were renumbered in the 1940s

Roger Hinman

On Mar 9, 2022, at 1:35 AM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

I am looking for modelling options for this NRC wood reefer.  I don’t know much about the NRC line except what i’ve picked up reading on this list.   Searching the archives, most of the previous conversations tend to be about later composite or all steel cars, and so i am not sure where to start for this one.

Rob

<PastedGraphic-33.png>

ROGER HINMAN

There was no 7400 series in that time frame so looks like 5405 would be correct; that would make it Pullman Lot 5369, IRM has the drawings.

Roger Hinman

On Mar 9, 2022, at 4:50 PM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

Its quite pixilated.  My guess would be 5405 or 7405.

Rob

On Mar 9, 2022, at 1:39 PM, ROGER HINMAN via groups.io <rhinman11@...> wrote:

My eyes are getting old, can anyone read the number on the car?; I may be able to verify the info Larry gave is correct for this particular car. A large amount of their wood cars were renumbered in the 1940s

Roger Hinman

On Mar 9, 2022, at 1:35 AM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

I am looking for modelling options for this NRC wood reefer.  I don’t know much about the NRC line except what i’ve picked up reading on this list.   Searching the archives, most of the previous conversations tend to be about later composite or all steel cars, and so i am not sure where to start for this one.

Rob

<PastedGraphic-33.png>

Tim O'Connor

I can make out the "54" fairly well... so I agree 5405 is most likely

And yeah, Bruce, that cable reel load is too cool! 8-)

On 3/9/2022 4:50 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
Its quite pixilated.  My guess would be 5405 or 7405.

Rob

On Mar 9, 2022, at 1:39 PM, ROGER HINMAN via groups.io <rhinman11@...> wrote:

My eyes are getting old, can anyone read the number on the car?; I may be able to verify the info Larry gave is correct for this particular car. A large amount of their wood cars were renumbered in the 1940s

Roger Hinman

On Mar 9, 2022, at 1:35 AM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

I am looking for modelling options for this NRC wood reefer.  I don’t know much about the NRC line except what i’ve picked up reading on this list.   Searching the archives, most of the previous conversations tend to be about later composite or all steel cars, and so i am not sure where to start for this one.

Rob

Sterling, Massachusetts

Robert kirkham

Thanks Roger.   I feel a project coming on . . .

Rob

On Mar 9, 2022, at 4:18 PM, ROGER HINMAN via groups.io <rhinman11@...> wrote:

[...]

Allan Smith

See Attached photo

On Wednesday, March 9, 2022, 07:05:47 PM PST, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Allan - a nice sharp detail photo.  Surprisingly hard to find any of the 5400 number series.

Rob

On Mar 9, 2022, at 8:54 PM, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:

[...]

<Roll-0204_Ogden_21-Sep-1946_014-X3.jpg>

ROGER HINMAN

The second photo is NRC 4552 from an earlier lot 5325 built in 1922 but very similar. Nice view of the reweigh block shows the car was stencilled at NRC’s shops in Cudahy, WI. This car will last until Sept 1951.

Roger Hinman

On Mar 10, 2022, at 2:14 PM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

[...]

Is NRC 4212 a rebuild from that series? Col McCoy October 1954 shot, fresh out of the shop.

On 3/10/2022 4:27 PM, ROGER HINMAN via groups.io wrote:
The second photo is NRC 4552 from an earlier lot 5325 built in 1922 but very similar. Nice view of the reweigh block shows the car was stencilled at NRC’s shops in Cudahy, WI. This car will last until Sept 1951.

Rob
On Mar 9, 2022, at 4:18 PM, ROGER HINMAN via groups.io <rhinman11@...> wrote:
There was no 7400 series in that time frame so looks like 5405 would be correct; that would make it Pullman Lot 5369, IRM has the drawings.

<Roll-0204_Ogden_21-Sep-1946_014-X3.jpg>

Sterling, Massachusetts

lrkdbn

This one looks like an ex-MDT steel frame car.
Larry King

ROGER HINMAN

No, this carwas built new for NRC in 1937 in their 16000 series; they were renumbered into the 14000 series during WW2 for getting waterproof floors; some of the cars were rebuilt starting in 1954 to add fans, and when the rework was complete, the 1 was truncated. I presume this photo wa taken just after the fans were installed and it is now stenciled “Air Circulating Fans”

Roger Hinman

On Mar 11, 2022, at 11:13 AM, lrkdbn via groups.io <lrkdbn@...> wrote:

This one looks like an ex-MDT steel frame car.
Larry King

Gavin

What part of the archives/ collection is that photo of the dockyards from? Just curious

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 1:47 PM ROGER HINMAN via groups.io <rhinman11=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
No, this carwas built new for NRC in 1937 in their 16000 series; they were renumbered into the 14000 series during WW2 for getting waterproof floors; some of the cars were rebuilt starting in 1954 to add fans, and when the rework was complete, the 1 was truncated. I presume this photo wa taken just after the fans were installed and it is now stenciled “Air Circulating Fans”

Roger Hinman

On Mar 11, 2022, at 11:13 AM, lrkdbn via groups.io <lrkdbn@...> wrote:

This one looks like an ex-MDT steel frame car.
Larry King

lrkdbn

I stand corrected-I forgot that the Despatch Shops built cars new for NRC
Larry King