tank car identity

Larry Smith

A friend of mine is looking for some information on a tank car GATX #12578, built date 5-38 and is lettered for Curtis Candy Co. and their brand Baby Ruth.  Any help[ would be appreciated.

Larry Smith

Tim O'Connor

Can't help with the tank car, but Curtis Candy did lease some 50 foot ice reefers. I wonder
where these reefers came from... :-\

Tim O'Connor

On 3/9/2022 8:04 PM, Larry Smith wrote:
A friend of mine is looking for some information on a tank car GATX #12578, built date 5-38 and is lettered for Curtis Candy Co. and their brand Baby Ruth.  Any help[ would be appreciated.

Larry Smith

Sterling, Massachusetts

Philip Dove

Hobby line used to make an HO scale kit for a Baby Ruth Tank car it had a silver barrel, black underframe, black lettering except for the Baby Ruth which was large lettering in red with a black outline. I believe Hobbyline went out of production in the 1960s

Tim O'Connor

:-)

On 3/10/2022 8:57 PM, Philip Dove wrote:
Hobby line used to make an HO scale kit for a Baby Ruth Tank car it had a silver barrel, black underframe, black lettering except for the Baby Ruth which was large lettering in red with a black outline. I believe Hobbyline went out of production in the 1960s

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

Interesting placement of the KC brake equipment on that car.

Dennis Storzek

Dave Parker

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 10:13 AM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
Interesting placement of the KC brake equipment on that car.
Interesting perhaps, but actually SOP on all the GATC 1917 design cars that I have seen.  You can even see the "residue" of that placement with the cylinder location on cars converted to AB.

Eventually, by the "1930" design at least, the hardware was moved "aft".

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Bob Chaparro

What would this car transport? Liquid sugar? Chocolate? Something else?
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Chris Barkan

Tim's Baby Ruth Tank car photo looks quite similar to Tangent's GATC 1917-design 8,000-gallon, non-insulated tank car.
https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/sold-out/sold-out-general-american-1917-design-8000-gallon-non-insulated-tank-car/
Would that be a "legitimate" paint scheme for that car?  If so, I hope David is reading this!

Chris

--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Tim O'Connor

The car is a Type 17 but perhaps not identical to the model. Nevertheless if Tangent did that scheme
(while David holds his nose!) they'd probably sell 10,000 of them!! :-D

He could even give them different numbers so fleet buyers could run unit trains of them! :-P

On 3/13/2022 1:39 PM, Chris Barkan wrote:
Tim's Baby Ruth Tank car photo looks quite similar to Tangent's GATC 1917-design 8,000-gallon, non-insulated tank car.
https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/sold-out/sold-out-general-american-1917-design-8000-gallon-non-insulated-tank-car/
Would that be a "legitimate" paint scheme for that car?  If so, I hope David is reading this!

Chris Barkan

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bruce Hendrick

So when was the last time anyone ever saw the price of a product on the side of a freight car? Oh, for the days of a 5 cent candy bar!

If Tanget or Walthers Proto Type 21 did this car up right they’d sell a million, even if there might be minor differences in the model tank car.

Anyone have additional information on the usage of the prototype? Was there more than one?

Bruce Hendrick
Corona Model Railroad Society

Tim O'Connor

I think Curtis was near Chicago - I guess the car was for liquid sugar and probably
didn't need to travel long distances.

On 3/13/2022 3:13 PM, Bruce Hendrick wrote:
So when was the last time anyone ever saw the price of a product on the side of a freight car? Oh, for the days of a 5 cent candy bar!

If Tanget or Walthers Proto Type 21 did this car up right they’d sell a million, even if there might be minor differences in the model tank car.

Anyone have additional information on the usage of the prototype? Was there more than one?

Bruce Hendrick

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bruce Hendrick

Currently on eBay under BABY RUTH BLUEPRINTS are 2 different listings from May 1939 for the lettering of this car plus a third which appears to be a Baby Ruth reefer. One tank car blueprint has hand written color notations in addition to lettering dimensions. One note indications “SHELL YELLOW”. Does this refer to the tank, which appears white to me but silver to others?

Bruce Hendrick
Brea, California

Tangent Scale Models

Bruce, NATX 375 is a GATC 1917-design tank, matching the Tangent model.

Tangent owns a high-res of NATX 375 and has paid attention to this scheme as a possibility for our product line, but the color question marks have led us to pause for the time being.  The drawing could be for an entirely different series, or a repaint of the original cars.  We mostly have had trouble trusting that the "Curtiss" is actually blue, and not red, since in the photo it looks identical.  Also the car color continues to be of concern as well - we agree it could be white as well but yellow makes more sense.

If anyone has anything substantive to add, we are listening.  We have researched the appropriate color scheme for the 1920s era as applied to the Curtiss Baby Ruth packaging: red and blue against yellow background.  Which matches the hand-drawn callouts on the diagram.

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Philip Dove

Iirc on some black and white photo's silver can appear to be white. The silver was aluminum and not all that shiny under a cloudy sky.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2022, 19:14 Bruce Hendrick, <brucehendrick@...> wrote:
So when was the last time anyone ever saw the price of a product on the side of a freight car? Oh, for the days of a 5 cent candy bar!

If Tanget or Walthers Proto Type 21 did this car up right they’d sell a million, even if there might be minor differences in the model tank car.

Anyone have additional information on the usage of the prototype? Was there more than one?

Bruce Hendrick
Corona Model Railroad Society

Tim O'Connor

I'm pretty sure someone (Silver Streak?) once offered this paint scheme for an HO model.

On 3/13/2022 4:48 PM, Bruce Hendrick wrote:
Currently on eBay under BABY RUTH BLUEPRINTS are 2 different listings from May 1939 for the lettering of this car plus a third which appears to be a Baby Ruth reefer. One tank car blueprint has hand written color notations in addition to lettering dimensions. One note indications “SHELL YELLOW”. Does this refer to the tank, which appears white to me but silver to others?

Bruce Hendrick

Sterling, Massachusetts

IIRC, Train Miniature did.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 7:07 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] tank car identity

I'm pretty sure someone (Silver Streak?) once offered this paint scheme for an HO model.

On 3/13/2022 4:48 PM, Bruce Hendrick wrote:

Currently on eBay under BABY RUTH BLUEPRINTS are 2 different listings from May 1939 for the lettering of this car plus a third which appears to be a Baby Ruth reefer. One tank car blueprint has hand written color notations in addition to lettering dimensions. One note indications “SHELL YELLOW”. Does this refer to the tank, which appears white to me but silver to others?

Bruce Hendrick

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dave Parker

David:

Does the higher-res shot reveal the date of the photo, i.e., from the "repainted" and COTS stencils?

Best regards.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Richard Townsend

Hobbyline did and there are two right now on eBay, including one that is an unassembled kit that appears to include decals. Old decals.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I'm pretty sure someone (Silver Streak?) once offered this paint scheme for an HO model.

On 3/13/2022 4:48 PM, Bruce Hendrick wrote:
Currently on eBay under BABY RUTH BLUEPRINTS are 2 different listings from May 1939 for the lettering of this car plus a third which appears to be a Baby Ruth reefer. One tank car blueprint has hand written color notations in addition to lettering dimensions. One note indications “SHELL YELLOW”. Does this refer to the tank, which appears white to me but silver to others?

Bruce Hendrick

Sterling, Massachusetts

gary laakso

Billboard Refrigerator Cars at page 14 has a colorized picture of this car in red with yellow lettering save for the yellow bar below where the lettering is black.  Pages 60-63 include other Baby Ruth cars, including the tank car with no comments on the colors.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

I'm pretty sure someone (Silver Streak?) once offered this paint scheme for an HO model.

On 3/13/2022 4:48 PM, Bruce Hendrick wrote:

Currently on eBay under BABY RUTH BLUEPRINTS are 2 different listings from May 1939 for the lettering of this car plus a third which appears to be a Baby Ruth reefer. One tank car blueprint has hand written color notations in addition to lettering dimensions. One note indications “SHELL YELLOW”. Does this refer to the tank, which appears white to me but silver to others?

Bruce Hendrick

Sterling, Massachusetts

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Tim and List Members,

Micro Trains made the refrigerator car NADX 6266 in this scheme...

Claus Schlund