SEEKING TECHNICSL HELP

WILLIAM PARDIE

I just received an Iwata Pro Jet compressor to replace my aging silent compressor.. The Iwata unit is equipped with quick connect connections on the output ports.  My lines to the spray booth and bead blaster have 1/4" fittings.  Is there a quick solution without having to redesign the whole system.

I thought that I had better ask before getting too aggressive with the wrench.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Pardie

Scott H. Haycock

I'd try to find a compatible male end for you hose. The compressor connection is probably metric, not 1/4 inch.

Scott Haycock
ent

On 03/10/2022 5:24 PM WILLIAM PARDIE <pardiew001@...> wrote:

I just received an Iwata Pro Jet compressor to replace my aging silent compressor.. The Iwata unit is equipped with quick connect connections on the output ports.  My lines to the spray booth and bead blaster have 1/4" fittings.  Is there a quick solution without having to redesign the whole system.

I thought that I had better ask before getting too aggressive with the wrench.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Pardie

Nelson Moyer

I have the Iwata Power Jet Pro compressor with quick disconnects at the compressor and on both airbrushes connected to it (essentially on both ends of the hoses). Here’s a link to the Iwata web page giving your hardware options.

Adaptors & Fittings: Anest Iwata-Medea, Inc. (iwata-airbrush.com)

You can also find adapters at any hardware store selling high pressure gas fixtures.

Nelson Moyer

I just received an Iwata Pro Jet compressor to replace my aging silent compressor.. The Iwata unit is equipped with quick connect connections on the output ports.  My lines to the spray booth and bead blaster have 1/4" fittings.  Is there a quick solution without having to redesign the whole system.

I thought that I had better ask before getting too aggressive with the wrench.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Pardie

WILLIAM PARDIE

Thanks Nelson:

It looks like as12011 (1/4" to quick release) would would solve my delemma..

Hope all else is well.

Bill

I just received an Iwata Pro Jet compressor to replace my aging silent compressor.. The Iwata unit is equipped with quick connect connections on the output ports.  My lines to the spray booth and bead blaster have 1/4" fittings.  Is there a quick solution without having to redesign the whole system.

I thought that I had better ask before getting too aggressive with the wrench.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Pardie

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bill, Nelson, et al.,

If those really are 1/4” fittings, the Iwata prices are shockingly expensive.  (Compare the Iwata AS12010 1/4” quick connector set [https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/14in-quick-disconnect-set.html] for $101.20 with the separate female [https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Brass-NPT-Coupler-M-1-4-in-Universal/50129868] and male https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Brass-NPT-Plug-M-1-4-in-Industrial/50126447 quick connectors at Lowes for $3.98 and $2.98 respectively, $6.96 total.)

Any decent hardware store should have the 1/4”, 1/8”, and 1/8” to or from 1/4” pipe thread fittings you’d need.  Those measurements, incidentally, refer to the inside diameter of the pipe or hose.  Also, pipe threads are tapered.

Good hunting,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 06:15 PM, Ralph W. Brown wrote:
If those really are 1/4” fittings, the Iwata prices are shockingly expensive.  (Compare the Iwata AS12010 1/4” quick connector set [https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/14in-quick-disconnect-set.html] for $101.20 with the separate female [https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Brass-NPT-Coupler-M-1-4-in-Universal/50129868] and male https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Brass-NPT-Plug-M-1-4-in-Industrial/50126447 quick connectors at Lowes for $3.98 and $2.98 respectively, $6.96 total.)

Any decent hardware store should have the 1/4”, 1/8”, and 1/8” to or from 1/4” pipe thread fittings you’d need.  Those measurements, incidentally, refer to the inside diameter of the pipe or hose.  Also, pipe threads are tapered.

They say 1/4", but not what thread. It wouldn't surprise me if it's 1/4" BSP (British Standard Pipe) since that's the standard in Japan. You won't find these in a hardware store here in the US, but McMaster Carr sells a pretty complete line. If I recall, 1/4" BSP is an almost fit for American NPT (National Pipe Taper) but it's a bodge, and can damage the threads in a diecast housing, which the compressor surely is. If it was me, I'd take the compressor to a hardware or auto parts store and see if any of the male quick disconnect fittings will fit the coupler. They will be 1/4" NPT thread and you can go from there.

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

MORE...
The 1/4" BSP thread form is 55 deg. included angle (like Whitworth) and 19 threads per inch, while 1/4" NPT uses a 60 deg. thread form and is 18 threads per inch. Also, the NPT thread is slightly larger in major diameter. That's why A 1/4" BSP male fitting will thread a short way into a 1/4" NPT fitting and seal with enough teflon tape, but an NPT male fitting buggers the female BSP thread. If no male quick disconnect fitting will fit, they do make BSP to NPT adapters, Google that term. You'll likely pay more in shipping than the fitting is worth.

Dennis

Ralph W. Brown

Dennis, et al.,

I just took a look at the Iwata online set up instructions for connecting the airbrush to the compressor.

It seems the small end of the air hose that connects to the airbrush is 1/8” BSP and the larger end and the compressor are 1/4” NPT.  So, there it is from Iwata, and any connections between the large end of the air hose and the compressor can be made with common 1/4” NPT fittings.

[...]

Douglas Harding

I agree. I have equipped my Iwata compressor with standard compressed air disconnects I purchased at a big box store. Any auto parts store will also sell them. They may not be finely finished brass, but because they are designed for compress air, they do not leak. Esp if you use the sealant tape as recommended, ie standard Teflon tape sold anywhere that sells pipe connections.

I just received an Iwata Pro Jet compressor to replace my aging silent compressor.. The Iwata unit is equipped with quick connect connections on the output ports.  My lines to the spray booth and bead blaster have 1/4" fittings.  Is there a quick solution without having to redesign the whole system.

I thought that I had better ask before getting too aggressive with the wrench.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Pardie

Nelson Moyer

The Iwata quick disconnects and adapters weren’t ridiculously expensive when I bought them at Hobby Lobby about twelve years ago. The local store still carries Iwata products, but I haven’t looked at prices in a long time.

Nelson Moyer

Dave Parker

My experience aligns with what Dennis has said.  BSP (or BSPP) threads are similar to US NPT threads, but not quite. And, I believe, BSPP is the standard in the airbrush industry (I have both Badger and Paasche).  I got tired of the klugy fix with lots of teflon tape, and bought a 1/4" NPT x BSP adapter from Amazon.  Twasn't exactly cheap, but it made my life a lot easier.  YMMV as always.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA