Proto 2000 50' Auto Box Car

Paolo Roffo

Hi All --

I was able to score a cheap kit for the above car at the Springfield show.  The one I bought is decorated for Nickel Plate; is the wood running board correct for NKP cars, or do I need to find the appropriate steel one?

Also, should the cut lever be top- or bottom-activating?

thanks
Paolo Roffo

Brian Carlson

Wood running board is fine but the roof on NKP cars were Viking. You can splice the des plaines 40 ft roof. You may have to section it too. Years ago Stan R cast these in resin, but that supply ran out with his passing.

True story on this, Larry (can’t recall his last name) from P2k said they missed the roof detail. If they caught it they wouldn’t have done NKP.

Brian J. Carlson

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Paolo Roffo

Thanks Brian.

As the car body and roof are cast as one piece, how would you recommend removing the roof?  Razor saw?  My assumption would be that a Dremel would do a lot of collateral damage.

Also, did the running boards get swapped at some point?  The Protocraft link you supplied says the cars had Apex Tri-Lok.

thanks
Paolo

Joseph

What you really need is a 50’ Viking roof for that car…..
Joe Binish
New Hope MN

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 3:29 PM Paolo Roffo <paolo.roffo@...> wrote:
Hi All --

I was able to score a cheap kit for the above car at the Springfield show.  The one I bought is decorated for Nickel Plate; is the wood running board correct for NKP cars, or do I need to find the appropriate steel one?

Also, should the cut lever be top- or bottom-activating?

thanks
Paolo Roffo

Tim O'Connor

Paolo

That's how I did mine, with an Apex rb. I think I rough cut the roof out with a Dremel
cutting wheel, then trimmed with nippers and then a good file to finish it off - I prefer a
file for good smooth seams. I use a file I bought at a hardware store in Boulder CO and
I hardly ever use any other file. It's a perfect rectangular shape - no taper.

Here is a link to the Simonds laminate file -- https://www.grainger.com/product/5ZGA2

Tim O'Connor

On 3/12/2022 5:05 PM, Paolo Roffo wrote:
Thanks Brian.

As the car body and roof are cast as one piece, how would you recommend removing the roof?  Razor saw?  My assumption would be that a Dremel would do a lot of collateral damage.

Also, did the running boards get swapped at some point?  The Protocraft link you supplied says the cars had Apex Tri-Lok.

thanks
Paolo

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Tom Madden cast up a bunch of resin 50 foot Viking roofs for the car and then as someone said
Stan R. offered them as well - in both cases spliced DPH 40 foot roofs.

Tim O'Connor

On 3/12/2022 5:24 PM, Joseph wrote:
What you really need is a 50’ Viking roof for that car…..
Joe Binish
New Hope MN

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 3:29 PM Paolo Roffo <paolo.roffo@...> wrote:
Hi All --

I was able to score a cheap kit for the above car at the Springfield show.  The one I bought is decorated for Nickel Plate; is the wood running board correct for NKP cars, or do I need to find the appropriate steel one?

Also, should the cut lever be top- or bottom-activating?

thanks
Paolo Roffo

Sterling, Massachusetts

Brian Carlson

Apex is right I was looking at 87000-87099. They had Viking roofs and wood running boards.

87100-87199 had Viking roofs and apex.

I posted the NKP freight diagrams here previously.

On Mar 12, 2022, at 5:05 PM, Paolo Roffo <paolo.roffo@...> wrote:

Thanks Brian.

As the car body and roof are cast as one piece, how would you recommend removing the roof?  Razor saw?  My assumption would be that a Dremel would do a lot of collateral damage.

Also, did the running boards get swapped at some point?  The Protocraft link you supplied says the cars had Apex Tri-Lok.

thanks
Paolo

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Brian Carlson

I’d use a UMM micro saw not a dremel and file. But I can be heavy handed with a dremel.

Brian J. Carlson

On Mar 12, 2022, at 5:05 PM, Paolo Roffo <paolo.roffo@...> wrote:

Thanks Brian.

As the car body and roof are cast as one piece, how would you recommend removing the roof?  Razor saw?  My assumption would be that a Dremel would do a lot of collateral damage.

Also, did the running boards get swapped at some point?  The Protocraft link you supplied says the cars had Apex Tri-Lok.

thanks
Paolo

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Clark Propst

I have an undec version. Have no idea what to do with it. If anyone’s interested I would sell it for $20 includes shipping.

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows

John Sykes III

I can't remember for sure, but I think this car is correct for a Lehigh Valley car (85xx series)?  But with an Apex R/B.

--John