8' IH steel frame boxcar options?

Robert kirkham

I’m looking at an F&C Virginian BX-10 kit, and wondering what might be possible if I were to “re-kit” the body and try to model something else.

But i’m coming up short finding 8’ IH, 40’, steel frame cars using the |_|/|/|/|_|\|\|\|_|, Z-cross section frame pattern.

The target is any car that would have been in cross-country service in 1946, and was in more numerous quantities than 15 or 20 cars (sheesh!).

Rob

Tim O'Connor

here's a better illustration - Bill Welch's model from 2019

On 4/28/2022 5:34 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
I’m looking at an F&C Virginian BX-10 kit, and wondering what might be possible if I were to “re-kit” the body and try to model something else.

But i’m coming up short finding 8’ IH, 40’, steel frame cars using the |_|/|/|/|_|\|\|\|_|, Z-cross section frame pattern.

The target is any car that would have been in cross-country service in 1946, and was in more numerous quantities than 15 or 20 cars (sheesh!).

Rob

Sterling, Massachusetts

Robert kirkham

Thanks Tim.

Rob

On Apr 28, 2022, at 2:38 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

here's a better illustration - Bill Welch's model from 2019

On 4/28/2022 5:34 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
I’m looking at an F&C Virginian BX-10 kit, and wondering what might be possible if I were to “re-kit” the body and try to model something else.

But i’m coming up short finding 8’ IH, 40’, steel frame cars using the |_|/|/|/|_|\|\|\|_|, Z-cross section frame pattern.

The target is any car that would have been in cross-country service in 1946, and was in more numerous quantities than 15 or 20 cars (sheesh!).

Rob

Sterling, Massachusetts <model vgn BX-10 BillWelch.jpg>

Eric Lombard

Hi, Rob...

You asked "I’m looking at an F&C Virginian BX-10 kit, and wondering what might be possible if I were to “re-kit” the body and try to model something else."

I searched my box car database which now has over 8800 car series built prior to 1945. The criteria used were: IH=8-0 to 8-2; IL=40-0; wood sheathing; and Z posts and braces in|
| |/|/|/[ ]\|\|\| | pattern (Howe truss).

The search returned 19 series including the two N&W BX-10 series. The build dates indicate them to be primarily a WWI phenomenon: 1914-1920 with a small number built later in the '20s. Some were renumbered into different series starting 1936. I have reasonable confidence that this list is complete though it would not be a surprise to find small series built for small roads in the WWI era. I welcome pointers to these.

The attached excel file provides some of the data for these 19 series. You can click on any cell to expand it to show all included information in that cell. Not all data in hand has been entered for many of the series, mainly car counts for various years over the service life of the series.

The panels at the ends of the side may have characters in them. These abstract ties between end posts or metal ends to the first post in the main Z-bar structure:
  • | |\|\|\[ ] no external tie
  • |\|\|\|\[ ] lower tie ( like the N&W cars)
  • |<|\|\|\[ ] upper and lower tie ( most common SS wood-sheathed cars)
  • |-|\|\|\[ ] horizontal tie
I hope this turns out to be a helpful starting point for you. Please feel free to contact me for any clarification you might need. I am no longer a modeler so have no idea if there are already models available to the series listed.

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL

CNJ 17309.JPG

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 4:34 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
I’m looking at an F&C Virginian BX-10 kit, and wondering what might be possible if I were to “re-kit” the body and try to model something else.

But i’m coming up short finding 8’ IH, 40’, steel frame cars using the |_|/|/|/|_|\|\|\|_|, Z-cross section frame pattern.

The target is any car that would have been in cross-country service in 1946, and was in more numerous quantities than 15 or 20 cars (sheesh!).

Rob

Robert kirkham

Thanks Eric, I appreciate the help.  Your data base makes the hours combing through ORERs a lot more likely to produce results.  Must have taken you a very long time to compile it.

Looking at lines that have a significant North American (Canada/west coast) presence in 1946, I think the CB&Q fleet offers the best choice.  It would take carving off the diagonal strap at each end of the side, inserting wood sheathed ends, optional centre sill changes depending on car series, and possible roof modifications.

The CNJ car with 7/7 Murphy ends could be fun . . .   Similar changes to CB&Q except the Hutchins roofs are good for 1946.

I can see a few fun hours planning my next move; will need to find more photos.

Rob

On May 2, 2022, at 3:40 PM, Eric Lombard <elombard@...> wrote:

Hi, Rob...

You asked "I’m looking at an F&C Virginian BX-10 kit, and wondering what might be possible if I were to “re-kit” the body and try to model something else."

I searched my box car database which now has over 8800 car series built prior to 1945. The criteria used were: IH=8-0 to 8-2; IL=40-0; wood sheathing; and Z posts and braces in|
| |/|/|/[ ]\|\|\| | pattern (Howe truss).

The search returned 19 series including the two N&W BX-10 series. The build dates indicate them to be primarily a WWI phenomenon: 1914-1920 with a small number built later in the '20s. Some were renumbered into different series starting 1936. I have reasonable confidence that this list is complete though it would not be a surprise to find small series built for small roads in the WWI era. I welcome pointers to these.

The attached excel file provides some of the data for these 19 series. You can click on any cell to expand it to show all included information in that cell. Not all data in hand has been entered for many of the series, mainly car counts for various years over the service life of the series.

The panels at the ends of the side may have characters in them. These abstract ties between end posts or metal ends to the first post in the main Z-bar structure:
  • | |\|\|\[ ] no external tie
  • |\|\|\|\[ ] lower tie ( like the N&W cars)
  • |<|\|\|\[ ] upper and lower tie ( most common SS wood-sheathed cars)
  • |-|\|\|\[ ] horizontal tie
I hope this turns out to be a helpful starting point for you. Please feel free to contact me for any clarification you might need. I am no longer a modeler so have no idea if there are already models available to the series listed.

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL
<CB&Q 130929.jpg>
<CNJ 17309.JPG>

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 4:34 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
I’m looking at an F&C Virginian BX-10 kit, and wondering what might be possible if I were to “re-kit” the body and try to model something else.

But i’m coming up short finding 8’ IH, 40’, steel frame cars using the |_|/|/|/|_|\|\|\|_|, Z-cross section frame pattern.

The target is any car that would have been in cross-country service in 1946, and was in more numerous quantities than 15 or 20 cars (sheesh!).

Rob

<BOX CARS.xlsx>

Eric Lombard

Yes, a long time….on and off work starting 1984. Glad to hear of your excitement in planning your next moves. I know that bubble, too! And, glad to have been of help. This was an informative exercise for me with some just desserts. I was never aware before of this small burst of similar cars during World War I. My first step in looking into this will be to complete the service histories for all the series. Looking forward to that!
Eric