Reading Boxcar 18729

Bob Chaparro

Reading Boxcar 18729

Photo courtesy of Robert Wanner.
Sorry, I have no information about this car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

There’s an informative data sheet on this XAra class on the Reading Modeler site. Click on XAra for the PDF.

http://www.readingmodeler.info/index.php/component/content/article/99-rolling-stock-reference-files/freight/214-reading-company-boxcars

These were the product of a rebuild program. I think these were originally USRA single-sheathed boxcars rebuilt in 1935 for auto service. From the data sheet it seems the Reading rebuilt 100 additional cars to XAra class in 1943.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Sorry, I have no information about this car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

Are these the same cars as the F&C kit ?

On 3/24/2022 2:56 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:

There’s an informative data sheet on this XAra class on the Reading Modeler site. Click on XAra for the PDF.

http://www.readingmodeler.info/index.php/component/content/article/99-rolling-stock-reference-files/freight/214-reading-company-boxcars

These were the product of a rebuild program. I think these were originally USRA single-sheathed boxcars rebuilt in 1935 for auto service. From the data sheet it seems the Reading rebuilt 100 additional cars to XAra class in 1943.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Sterling, Massachusetts

Drew M.

Eric is correct, the XAra class was created from RDG XMs cars 5000-5999 built for the P&R while under USEA control in 1919.

Drew Marshall in South Philly

On Mar 24, 2022, at 14:56, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

There’s an informative data sheet on this XAra class on the Reading Modeler site. Click on XAra for the PDF.

http://www.readingmodeler.info/index.php/component/content/article/99-rolling-stock-reference-files/freight/214-reading-company-boxcars

These were the product of a rebuild program. I think these were originally USRA single-sheathed boxcars rebuilt in 1935 for auto service. From the data sheet it seems the Reading rebuilt 100 additional cars to XAra class in 1943.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Sorry, I have no information about this car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

Yes.

http://fandckits.com/HOFreight/8290.html

I’ll bet Dick Foley helped bring this and other Reading box car kits to reality with F&C. He is missed.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Are these the same cars as the F&C kit ?

On 3/24/2022 2:56 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:

There’s an informative data sheet on this XAra class on the Reading Modeler site. Click on XAra for the PDF.

http://www.readingmodeler.info/index.php/component/content/article/99-rolling-stock-reference-files/freight/214-reading-company-boxcars

These were the product of a rebuild program. I think these were originally USRA single-sheathed boxcars rebuilt in 1935 for auto service. From the data sheet it seems the Reading rebuilt 100 additional cars to XAra class in 1943.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Sterling, Massachusetts

William Dale

Yes, the late Dick Foley was the catalyst for the XAd automobile box. The F&C XARa came to be as the two classes have a visual spotting difference. If you notice the one of the grab irons mount on the very end of the car, whereas the XAd has both grab irons mounted on the last panel (this is where Yarmouth made the mistake of marketing the XMa & XMb together). I would add some more specifics to this, but my paperwork on these is currently at the RCT&HS for this year’s upcoming museum display. Another note, beyond the dates of this group, these cars were sold off to a leasing company, rebuilt, and then leased back to the Reading. Some had replacement diagonal panel roofs installed. It was also circa 1954 the XAd and XARa class were all merged into just solely an “XAd”. There still is a class survivor sitting in a yard just outside New Ringgold PA.

Billy

Scott

The online Pullman Smugmug collection has several more photos of these cars plus the Yarmouth one ad well.

Scott McDonald

Guy Wilber

On Mar 24, 2022, Eric Hansmann wrote:

“There’s an informative data sheet on this XAra class on the Reading Modeler site.

These were the product of a rebuild program. I think these were originally USRA single-sheathed boxcars rebuilt in 1935 for auto service. From the data sheet it seems the Reading rebuilt 100 additional cars to XAra class in 1943.”

The Reading Modeler site is well done!

The AFE 11741 (12-5-1938) indicates that the Evans "Type-C" Auto~Loaders were modified to accommodate the 1939 automobile models.  Typically, during such modifications, the wheel pans were repositioned to accommodate the ever expanding wheelbase lengths of later 1930s automobiles.  This deficiency of Evans "A", "B" and "C" frames was alleviated with the introduction of the "Type D" (1937) and subsequent designs which were manufactured with sliding extension plates on the front wheel pans.

It appears that after the 1938 upgrade the Reading was no longer willing to modify the “Type-C” and refitted their 100 auto cars with “Type-E” Auto~Loaders prior to WWII.  My guess is this was done before the 1941 model year production and Evans introduction of the “Type-E” in 1940.  All post WWII AAR Car Service Division Bulletin 28 entries clearly show all 100 cars equipped with “Type-E” Auto~Loaders and 12 floor tubes.

The door markings shown in builder’s photos would only be appropriate for the cars until March of 1939.  The 3” white stripe would have remained, but the lower rectangle would have been eliminated.  The loader type and number of floors tubes would have been stenciled below the door.  The car’s height at center (10 Feet - 7 Inches) would have been stenciled in black within the white stripe.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

._,_._,_