ATSF 6145

Clark Propst

I've been bitten by the Front Range 40' DD box car bug...Cna someone tell me about this car? What year was it built and what roof would it have?
Thanks,
Clark

Dave Boss

Hi Clark
               You may want to look at a C&BT KIT. That photo looks like theirs. They did a run of the SF 40ft double door cars in all the famous name passenger trains of the Santa Fe. I believe that car has a Murphy flat panel roof. Probably post WWII. When detailed & wheathered they look pretty good.
Dave

On Monday, March 28, 2022, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've been bitten by the Front Range 40' DD box car bug...Cna someone tell me about this car? What year was it built and what roof would it have?
Thanks,
Clark

O Fenton Wells

I believe Front range is 13 ft door opening and the C&BT is 14 ft

On Mar 28, 2022, at 5:31 PM, Dave Boss <daveboss1976@...> wrote:

Hi Clark
               You may want to look at a C&BT KIT. That photo looks like theirs. They did a run of the SF 40ft double door cars in all the famous name passenger trains of the Santa Fe. I believe that car has a Murphy flat panel roof. Probably post WWII. When detailed & wheathered they look pretty good.
Dave

On Monday, March 28, 2022, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've been bitten by the Front Range 40' DD box car bug...Cna someone tell me about this car? What year was it built and what roof would it have?
Thanks,
Clark

Brian Carlson

Guys I’m pretty sure Clark’s car is 50’ not 40’

Brian J. Carlson

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

O Fenton Wells

Murphy flat panel roof

On Mar 28, 2022, at 5:33 PM, O Fenton Wells via groups.io <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

I believe Front range is 13 ft door opening and the C&BT is 14 ft

On Mar 28, 2022, at 5:31 PM, Dave Boss <daveboss1976@...> wrote:

Hi Clark
               You may want to look at a C&BT KIT. That photo looks like theirs. They did a run of the SF 40ft double door cars in all the famous name passenger trains of the Santa Fe. I believe that car has a Murphy flat panel roof. Probably post WWII. When detailed & wheathered they look pretty good.
Dave

On Monday, March 28, 2022, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've been bitten by the Front Range 40' DD box car bug...Cna someone tell me about this car? What year was it built and what roof would it have?
Thanks,
Clark

Scott H. Haycock

Hi Brian,

A 50' car would have 15 roof panels, this car has 12.

Scott Haycock
ent

On 03/28/2022 3:38 PM Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

[...]

40 ft DD bug. I got bit 8 years ago. Join me. Great cars
Fenton

On Mar 28, 2022, at 5:44 PM, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve SANDIFER

This is an FE-26 40’ double door Auto box from Pullman, 1945, one of 500.  Per Richard Hendrickson, construction was essentially that of the AAR standard steel box car, with welded AAR underframes, riveted steel side sheathing, and Murphy rectangular panel roofs. 9’4” wide and 10’’6” interior. 14’6” door opening. Riveted fishbelly side sill for reinforcement. They were the last 40’ double door cars purchased by the Santa Fe. They went through several numberings. 50 Ton, 40’6” X 9’4” x 10’6”, ASF lA-3 trucks. I don’t know what the white dot before the number means. Sunshine did a kit for these.

J. Stephen Sandifer

I've been bitten by the Front Range 40' DD box car bug...Cna someone tell me about this car? What year was it built and what roof would it have?
Thanks,
Clark

Allan Smith

That is a ATSF Fe-26 Auto Boxcar See Attached files. The C&BT kit is a good match and can be improved with aftermarket details. It does have a raised flat panel Murphy roof.

Al Smith
Sonora Ca

On Monday, March 28, 2022, 02:44:57 PM PDT, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Madden

Santa Fe Fe-26 40' steel auto car. Built by P-S with deliveries beginning in the spring of 1945. 500 cars, originally numbered 64200-64699, this one shows the 1959 renumbering into the 5899-6375 series. 14'-6" door openings, Murphy rectangular panel roof. All this from Richard Hendrickson's book on Santa Fe Furniture and Automobile Box Cars.

Tom Madden

Dave Boss

I'm pretty sure C&BT is a very close match to your photo Clark. I have several of those kits, and your photo looks very much like it.

Dave

On Monday, March 28, 2022, Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Santa Fe Fe-26 40' steel auto car. Built by P-S with deliveries beginning in the spring of 1945. 500 cars, originally numbered 64200-64699, this one shows the 1959 renumbering into the 5899-6375 series. 14'-6" door openings, Murphy rectangular panel roof. All this from Richard Hendrickson's book on Santa Fe Furniture and Automobile Box Cars.

Tom Madden

Brian Carlson

Ok. I must have transcribed some ORER data wrong then. It’s in my 50 ft list. Oops.

Brian J. Carlson

[...]

Andy Carlson

On Monday, March 28, 2022, 03:23:26 PM PDT, Dave Boss <daveboss1976@...> wrote:

         I'm pretty sure C&BT is a very close match to your photo Clark.

If we are not forgetting--an Athearn Blue Box 40'er is no worse than the CB&T! Some things we should simply move on from...

The best car for modeling the # 6145 would be a Branchline (Atlas) 40' box car. It has the correct end and would need a side sill replacement and a Red Caboose '37 AAR Murphy rect panel roof. Great end, best roof and industries best rivets, all a huge improvement over a CB&T.

-Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson

Al Smith mentioned that the pair of doors covers a 14 foot opening. This would require an extra door or two from SouthWest Scale Models 6' BX-44 doors for conversion to 7'. Also, I don't think that the Branchline kit includes a 4/4 Improved Dreadnaught end with all 8 ribs identical. Intermountain's are narrower than Branchline bodies, so maybe this isn't a slam dunk modeling project.

I said:
The best car for modeling the # 6145 would be a Branchline (Atlas) 40' box car. It has the correct end and would need a side sill replacement and a Red Caboose '37 AAR Murphy rect panel roof. Great end, best roof and industries best rivets, all a huge improvement over a CB&T.

-Andy Carlson

Clark Propst

Wow guys, thanks for the help! Yes, it'll all Fenton's fault! I think I'll look for a C&BT body to use for this one.
Thanks again!!
Clark

O Fenton Wells

I may have an extra C&BT kit, let me check, I can provide second mortgage forms ;>)
Just say'in

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 9:14 PM Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
Wow guys, thanks for the help! Yes, it'll all Fenton's fault! I think I'll look for a C&BT body to use for this one.
Thanks again!!
Clark

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Tim O'Connor

Andy

I don't agree. The C&BT has the correct ends and roof and the doors are a problem regardless of whose
kits you start with. I'd say for the *effort* (unless you are a Santa Fe perfectionist modeler) that the C&BT
offers the best "bang for the buck". (shortest path between two points, etc) :-)

I do have one of the Sunshine kits. It's in my "to keep" stash for now since these cars ran almost unchanged
well into the 1970's, although some received the post-1966 modernizations.

I have the CB&T kit too. I'll probably sell that one. :-D

Tim O'Connor

On 3/28/2022 6:45 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
On Monday, March 28, 2022, 03:23:26 PM PDT, Dave Boss <daveboss1976@...> wrote:

         I'm pretty sure C&BT is a very close match to your photo Clark.

If we are not forgetting--an Athearn Blue Box 40'er is no worse than the CB&T! Some things we should simply move on from...

The best car for modeling the # 6145 would be a Branchline (Atlas) 40' box car. It has the correct end and would need a side sill replacement and a Red Caboose '37 AAR Murphy rect panel roof. Great end, best roof and industries best rivets, all a huge improvement over a CB&T.

-Andy Carlson

Sterling, Massachusetts

charles slater

Clark here is the Folio sheet for the Fe-26 40 foot cars, it will tell you everything you want to know about these cars.
Hope this helps
Charlie Slater MSFM

Sent from Outlook

I've been bitten by the Front Range 40' DD box car bug...Cna someone tell me about this car? What year was it built and what roof would it have?
Thanks,
Clark

Tim O'Connor

Clearly not to scale! :-D No wonder some thought they were 50 foot cars.

On 3/29/2022 3:08 PM, charles slater wrote:
Clark here is the Folio sheet for the Fe-26 40 foot cars, it will tell you everything you want to know about these cars.
Hope this helps
Charlie Slater MSFM

Sent from Outlook

I've been bitten by the Front Range 40' DD box car bug...Cna someone tell me about this car? What year was it built and what roof would it have?
Thanks,
Clark

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Clark Propst

Thanks for all the assistance on this, but the car was in auto parts service at the time I model. I model a grange branch. These cars would not be seen there. On to another...
Clark