DL&W Open Hoppers

Brian Carlson

Has anyone every done a deep dive on DL&W open hoppers, both prototype and model? I searched the archives and found several discussions on a specific series or car. I'm interested in the post-war fleet. 
DL&W is underrepresented on my layout and I would like a hopper or two to deliver anthracite.
--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

William Dale

Brian,
     A few years back there was a magazine article that dove into your question. Now, could I remember where it appeared, no, but lean heavily towards RMC. The Tichy/Accurail USRA works, and surprisingly the TM/Walthers 36’ two bay as well. Now, one of the offset three bay hoppers also works, but I can’t recall which manufacturer. There was a slight deviation as to how the sides were done. Finally, we are fortunate that Shortline Model Products does great decals for these mentioned above. A word of note, the USRA two bay painted at Steamtown in Scranton is wrong.

Billy

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I don't know of anything specific in the model railroad enthusiast press, but perhaps this image below might provide a starting point for further input and discussion on the original question...

Date is given as 1930s-1940s

Quite a variety!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2022 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] DL&W Open Hoppers

Brian,
     A few years back there was a magazine article that dove into your question. Now, could I remember where it appeared, no, but lean heavily towards RMC. The Tichy/Accurail USRA works, and surprisingly the TM/Walthers 36’ two bay as well. Now, one of the offset three bay hoppers also works, but I can’t recall which manufacturer. There was a slight deviation as to how the sides were done. Finally, we are fortunate that Shortline Model Products does great decals for these mentioned above. A word of note, the USRA two bay painted at Steamtown in Scranton is wrong.

Billy

Chuck Cover

There was an excellent article in the June-July 1985 Prototype Modeler by Wayne Sittner “Lackawanna 50-Ton two-bay Hoppers.”  About 25 years ago, I kit-bashed a couple of these for my PRR Shamokin Branch layout.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Tom Madden

Two weeks ago DL&W guru Mike Del Vecchio posted to the Lackawanna Facebook group that the recent Resin Car Works NYC hopper mini-kit might be suitable for modeling the Lackawanna's Enterprise taper (chisel side) two bay 100 ton hoppers, of which there were 1000 in two series. (83300 - 83799, Magor Car and ACF, 1934, and 85000 - 85499, ACF, 1940. The two were dimensionally identical but the 1940 cars were lighter by a little over two tons). The NYC mini-kit isn't suitable as it's designed for the Tichy or Accurail USRA hoppers and is too short, but the RCW IC hopper is very close. Major difference is the DL&W hoppers are 34' IL and the IC is 33'. The problem would be decals. I understand from Mike that suitable artwork exists but the decals have yet to be produced.

Tom Madden

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Chuck and List Members,

Thanks Chuck for the pointer.

The required back issue of Prototype Modeler can be found at the link below...

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2022 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] DL&W Open Hoppers

There was an excellent article in the June-July 1985 Prototype Modeler by Wayne Sittner “Lackawanna 50-Ton two-bay Hoppers.”  About 25 years ago, I kit-bashed a couple of these for my PRR Shamokin Branch layout.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

webotkin

Brian and all,

The article was authored by me and was in the May 2015 issue of RMC.  It covers detailing the Tichy, Accurail and Walthers hoppers for DL&W.  The triple offset hopper can be replicated with the Accurail model and I am currently building three of these myself.  Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you want a pdf copy of the article.

William E. Botkin

Centennial, CO

>Brian,

Billy

Kemal Mumcu

The hopper 77532 in the center of the above photo is a Standard Steel Type available as a kit from Westerfield. They survived into the post war era. 

Colin Meikle

Brian Carlson

For the moment I’m interested in offset three bays

Brian J. Carlson 

On Mar 31, 2022, at 9:10 AM, William Dale <lehighnewengland401@...> wrote:

Brian,

Billy

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY