From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of radiodial868
Sent: Friday, April 1, 2022 10:51 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Speaking of stockcars…sharing a trick

Charlie, I've built maybe a dozen resin stockcar kits, but gotta ask, what's a floating slat?
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Charlie Duckworth

Nelson
My hat is definitely off to anyone who’s built 25 resin stockcars.  I’ve built under 10 and have 6 Westerfield kits on the shelf to do (4 MP and 2 RI). I dread sanding away the resin between the slats and then the cleanup of each board.  I’ll get to them eventually built but a resin boxcar kit seems to jump ahead of the stockcar queue every time.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

O Fenton Wells

I have been going through the same issues but there is no kit for the Southern car.  And it has open slated ends. I haven't figured out how to scratch or bash them so far.
Fenton

On Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 1:13 PM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:
Nelson
My hat is definitely off to anyone who’s built 25 resin stockcars.  I’ve built under 10 and have 6 Westerfield kits on the shelf to do (4 MP and 2 RI). I dread sanding away the resin between the slats and then the cleanup of each board.  I’ll get to them eventually built but a resin boxcar kit seems to jump ahead of the stockcar queue every time.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Nelson Moyer

Actually, it should be 27 stock cars. I only reported the 24 Sunshine CB&Q and one Westerfield RI. There was also another ATSF Westerfield and a GN Speedwitch car that I forgot about. I batch built the Q stock cars, and that was a mind boggling experience. I built them before I started taking in progress photos, but it was something to see with 24 cars spread out on the workbench. I attached a photo of the Q string, plus closeups of the other cars. I included the SM-18 underframe photo because the Challenger brass import and the Sunshine kit instructions are both incorrect about placement of the AB brake components, probably because both relied upon the Hundman drawing. No correct mechanical drawing has surfaced, but Ed Rethswisch researched the brake layout when he built his Sunshine kits. He noticed the instruction placement didn’t match the available photos, and I was the beneficiary of Ed’s work.

Nelson

My hat is definitely off to anyone who’s built 25 resin stockcars.  I’ve built under 10 and have 6 Westerfield kits on the shelf to do (4 MP and 2 RI). I dread sanding away the resin between the slats and then the cleanup of each board.  I’ll get to them eventually built but a resin boxcar kit seems to jump ahead of the stockcar queue every time.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Nelson Moyer

And apologies to Ed for misspelling Rethwisch in the first post

My hat is definitely off to anyone who’s built 25 resin stockcars.  I’ve built under 10 and have 6 Westerfield kits on the shelf to do (4 MP and 2 RI). I dread sanding away the resin between the slats and then the cleanup of each board.  I’ll get to them eventually built but a resin boxcar kit seems to jump ahead of the stockcar queue every time.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Gary Ray

That is impressive!  I’ve only tried two and still haven’t mastered the process of sanding them thin without damage to the steel trusses.  Put them aside for another day.  Will have to get back to them.

Bravo!

Gary Ray

Azle, TX

[...]

Schleigh Mike

It is surely inspiring to see such prolific and fine model work, Nelson----

Thanks for sharing.  We should all feel motivated by your example.

Regards from Grove City in western Penna. where it has been snowing (Not an April Fool comment)----Mike Schleigh

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...>
Date: Friday, April 1, 2022 at 3:31 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

[...]

After seeing your CB&Q stock extra I’ll never whine about building another resin stockcar.  Beautiful work!
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Steve SANDIFER

Some would cringe, but I have sanded the back of some of my resin stock car models with an electric sander – yea, really.  You just have to know when to stop. The doors are much thinner, so can’t do much there. I’ve built 24 which includes several kitbashes for ATSF classes not otherwise produced. 20 are ATSF, one each of MP, NYC, SLSF, and T&P. I have others yet to build including a RI and CB&Q. The ATSF represent 13 different classes, so it is neat to see a stock train where the heights of the cars vary. The hardest part of building one is deciding to start.

I have one model of a very early car where the side slats and end slats don’t meet at all.

Most difficult stock car I have built: NKP shops ATSF Horse Car for passenger service.

J. Stephen Sandifer

My hat is definitely off to anyone who’s built 25 resin stockcars.  I’ve built under 10 and have 6 Westerfield kits on the shelf to do (4 MP and 2 RI). I dread sanding away the resin between the slats and then the cleanup of each board.  I’ll get to them eventually built but a resin boxcar kit seems to jump ahead of the stockcar queue every time.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Benjamin Hom

Nelson Moyer wrote:
"I included the SM-18 underframe photo because the Challenger brass import and the Sunshine kit instructions are both incorrect about placement of the AB brake components, probably because both relied upon the Hundman drawing."

Another reason why Hundman drawings should be verified before moving forward with a build.  And for those who still find this hard to believe, six words:

Branchline
Forty-One
Foot
Inside
Length
Boxcars

Ben Hom

Brian Carlson

Thankfully branchline retooled them. I do not have any idea what that cost them though.

Brian J. Carlson

On Apr 2, 2022, at 9:31 AM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Another reason why Hundman drawings should be verified before moving forward with a build.  And for those who still find this hard to believe, six words:

Branchline
Forty-One
Foot
Inside