From: Bachmann Trains <contactus@...>
To: "geridee1@..." <geridee1@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2022, 04:16:19 PM GMT+2
Subject: Drop-end Gorgeous! New HO Scale Freight Cars Now in Stock...

New and In Stock!
50'6" Drop-End Gondola
Gondolas are crucial to freight rail operations. Designed for bulk or oversized loads, their low sidewalls allow them to carry a wide range of cargo, from steel plates, coils, and scrap metal, to ballast and coal. Some can additionally be found hauling pre-constructed track segments to work sites in maintenance-of-way service. First appearing in the 1920s, the Drop-End Gondola allowed for increased flexibility in loading and unloading. The ends of the cars would fold outwards, allowing heavy materials to be rolled directly onto the cars from ramps or loading docks, meaning less manpower or machinery was necessary to load the train. The Bachmann 50'6" Drop-End Gondola comes in a variety of authentic mid-20th century paint schemes. Each car comes fully assembled, featuring a highly detailed painted body with a posable drop-end gate for realistic operation, blackened machined metal wheels with RP25 contours, magnetically operated E-Z Mate® couplers and added weight for optimum tracking performance. Expand your transition-era freight operations with the Bachmann HO scale 50'6" Drop-End Gondola!
ATSF #169627
Item No. 74801
BALTIMORE & OHIO® #551470
Item No. 74802
UNION PACIFIC® #30294
Item No. 74803
WESTERN MARYLAND® #5452
Item No. 74804
  • premium Silver Series® rolling stock
  • fully assembled
  • posable drop-end gates
  • precision graphics
  • blackened-metal wheels with RP25 contours
  • body-mounted, magnetically operated E-Z Mate® Mark II couplers
  • non-magnetic blackened brass axles with needlepoint bearings
  • Celcon® trucks
  • added weight for optimum tracking performance
  • HO Scale 1:87
Easter's coming!
Get ready to celebrate on your railroad! Find out more next week about the latest Eggliners in Large Scale & Williams O Gauge.
Bachmann Trains | 1400 East Erie Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19124
Unsubscribe geridee1@...
Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice
Sent by contactus@... powered by
Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.

spsalso

The PRR one doesn't match the G31A it claims to be.

The Santa Fe isn't turning up in Hendrickson's gondola book.

Can't be sure about the UP, but I do doubt it.

I am curious what it IS.  What's nice about it is that it's easy to remove the grabs.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

The Bachman model has never been offered with the only prototypes it represents.  Try ERIE 14500, PM 18400 and WAG 3200 (all first in their series).  The trucks are not 70 ton but it is a good job if you can handle the cast on details and paucity of any inside.

Mike Schleigh at Grove City, Penna. where trout season has opened.

On Sunday, April 3, 2022, 03:44:49 PM EDT, spsalso via groups.io <edwardsutorik@...> wrote:

The PRR one doesn't match the G31A it claims to be.

The Santa Fe isn't turning up in Hendrickson's gondola book.

Can't be sure about the UP, but I do doubt it.

I am curious what it IS.  What's nice about it is that it's easy to remove the grabs.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Tim O'Connor

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/images/HO_Scale/74802.jpg

My first reaction was "50 foot 6 inch" ?? With drop ends ? That has to be pretty unusual!
BUT, it turns out that the B&O O-41 gondolas built in the early 1930's had drop ends, 12
ribs, and were 50'6" inside length.

AND a few were sold to the Wellsville, Addison & Galeton !!

The end doors may need to be swapped out to model the B&O/WAG cars.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/3/2022 3:44 PM, spsalso via groups.io wrote:

The PRR one doesn't match the G31A it claims to be.
The Santa Fe isn't turning up in Hendrickson's gondola book.
Can't be sure about the UP, but I do doubt it.
I am curious what it IS.  What's nice about it is that it's easy to remove the grabs.
Edward Sutorik

Sterling, Massachusetts

spsalso

A bit of research reveals that a guy named Mike Schleigh did a bit of a write-up on this model in message 124011 on 4/24/14.

Makes a good read!

These look like pretty good models.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Tim O'Connor

I didn't notice because Mike's 2014 message is saved in Eudora and I was forced out of using Eudora by
Comcast a year or so ago... We do seem to revisit things after everyone has had time to forget them... :-D

Did any of them last in B&O marks into the 60's?

Tim

On 4/3/2022 7:05 PM, spsalso via groups.io wrote:

A bit of research reveals that a guy named Mike Schleigh did a bit of a write-up on this model in message 124011 on 4/24/14.

Makes a good read!

These look like pretty good models.

Edward Sutorik

Sterling, Massachusetts

Allan Smith

The car number on the model for ATSF is 169627. That series is from the war emergency gondolas Ga-61 169500-169699. The Ga-31 designation series is from ex KCMO cars absorbed in the ATSF in 1929 and were wood truss rod cars.. The ATSF didn't own any 50' mill gondolas .per Open Top Cars and Listing of Freight Cars by Class.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Sunday, April 3, 2022, 04:05:32 PM PDT, spsalso via groups.io <edwardsutorik@...> wrote:

A bit of research reveals that a guy named Mike Schleigh did a bit of a write-up on this model in message 124011 on 4/24/14.

Makes a good read!

These look like pretty good models.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Andy Miller

If you read their ad, I don’t know of any RR with gons whose ends opened OUT to be used as loading ramps!   The ends on the gon in their photo seem to be like all other drop end gons and open in.   So the mistake is not in their model, but in their advertising copy.   Bachmann is getting better 😉

Andy Miller