Sent: Friday, April 08, 2022 3:08 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Hinckley & Schmitt water car

I found this picture in a group of unsorted pictures.
 I did not take the picture, probably bought it.
It was with a group of Iowa pictures. There wasn't anything written on the back.
HSTX 1008
Ron Christensen

Philip Dove

I think we are looking at an insulating layer if you enlarge the picture you can see lots of vertical lines that might be a wrapping of insulation. Insulating a water car that might freeze would seem logical as expanding ice could burst the tank. On the other hand whoever heard of a steam locomotive with a lagged tender tank?.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022, 20:08 ron christensen via groups.io, <rxensen=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I found this picture in a group of unsorted pictures.
 I did not take the picture, probably bought it.
It was with a group of Iowa pictures. There wasn't anything written on the back.
HSTX 1008
Ron Christensen

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Phillip,

Insulating layer - good possibility.

You also wrote: "On the other hand whoever heard of a steam locomotive with a lagged tender tank?". Good question - could the water in the tender freeze? Why not? Perhaps there is a way to inject steam into the tender cistern to keep the water from freezing if a locomotive is out in extreme cold for extended periods of time? Just a guess on my part!

Claus Schlund

I think we are looking at an insulating layer if you enlarge the picture you can see lots of vertical lines that might be a wrapping of insulation. Insulating a water car that might freeze would seem logical as expanding ice could burst the tank. On the other hand whoever heard of a steam locomotive with a lagged tender tank?.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022, 20:08 ron christensen via groups.io, <rxensen=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I found this picture in a group of unsorted pictures.
 I did not take the picture, probably bought it.
It was with a group of Iowa pictures. There wasn't anything written on the back.
HSTX 1008
Ron Christensen

Charles Peck

With at least some types of injectors, it would be possible to blow steam back into a tender cistern.
Also possible that engines normally operating in extreme cold regions may have had heating coils
in the cistern. Steam heat was commonly used in oil tenders that carried Bunker C.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 10:18 AM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
[...]

Ian Cranstone

I remember getting a fairly intensive tour of a former Canadian Northern Ten-Wheeler some years ago, which included a good look inside the tender. Along with interior baffles to keep the water from sloshing around too much were some interior steam lines which could be utilized in cold weather – and given that a number of these engines were employed on the Canadian prairies in some very cold winter months, I would imagine that such lines were standard equipment. Thinking about it, I would imagine that the tender would either have to be drained or exterior steam lines connected if the engine were allowed to sit fireless for any period of time during the winter months.

And to keep it freight car related, some tank cars were equipped with interior steam lines as well. I would imagine that company service water cars would have needed steam connections on a continuing basis as well.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...