Tris UP (OWR&N) Running board and dates.

Bill McCoy

Thanks to everyone for the most helpful info on the GN 12 panels boxcars and the UP Trix ACR B 50-27.
Further on the UP B-50-27 and the excellent photo taken at DUT. The car seems to still have wood running boards and has been reweighed. I'm still trying to date the photo. TP NW2 1000 was delivered in 1946 and looks like it has delivery paint. Would late 40s be a good date range for the photo? Could we assume it would have gotten the UP welded underframe?

Thanks as always

Bill McCoy
Jax

Dick Harley

Bill,

The diagram for the B-50-27 class is available at:
https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UPFreightDiagrams/Box-Car/

It states an "all welded" underframe, as well as having info about the trucks, hand brakes, etc.  The cars kept their wood running boards thru the late 1960s.
The reweigh station you mentioned was likely G.I. for Grand Island, NE.
All yellow lettering on BCR cars was applied by UP from July 1947 to September 1961.

Hope this helps,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Tim O'Connor

I think at least one got a steel running board after the STMFC cutoff

were any of them ever 'modernized' (1966+) would be my question :-)

On 4/12/2022 12:11 AM, Dick Harley via groups.io wrote:

Bill,

The diagram for the B-50-27 class is available at:
https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UPFreightDiagrams/Box-Car/

It states an "all welded" underframe, as well as having info about the trucks, hand brakes, etc.  The cars kept their wood running boards thru the late 1960s.
The reweigh station you mentioned was likely G.I. for Grand Island, NE.
All yellow lettering on BCR cars was applied by UP from July 1947 to September 1961.

Hope this helps,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dick Harley

Not sure what you mean by "modernized", Tim, but the history of those cars (and other UP cars) is available at:
https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Union-Pacific-Equipment-Record/Automobile-and-Box-Car/

For the B-50-27 class, you can start at :
https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Union-Pacific-Equipment-Record/Automobile-and-Box-Car/i-XCz6XxS/A

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Tim O'Connor

Dick

by modernized I mean removal of running boards, installation of short
ladder(s) and crossover platforms, as prescribed by 1966 AAR rules. often
but not always accompanied by repainting.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Bryian Sones

Yep Tim,

Indeed, it may take several different sheets to complete a UP car, but it beats waiting around for someone to make the decal available.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Dick Harley

Tim,

The removal of running boards is noted in the UP Equipment Record pages with the month and year.
I have no idea how complete and thorough the info is, but it is there for some cars.

That record also lists when cars were renumbered into MOW service and their new number.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA