New car monday

Clark Propst

While I was reworking the CIL car to a SOU car I also assembled and painted this RI AAR 37 mod box car. Both cars were finished this morning.
It's an Intermountain kit I've had for awhile wanting to turn it into a CNW riveted PS1. Last week we made a road trip to Caboose Stop Hobbies in Cedars Falls (watch their Utube videos, a real hoot) I picked up a Mask Island RI decal set and some Tru-color RI paint. I don't have a RI car right now and I do have a CNW riveted PS1, so the choice was easy. Only changes to the kit build was using Tichy straight 18" grabs on the end sills, A-Line sill steps and a complete Kadee Universal hand brake. What painting info I found did not mention the roof, so I assumed it was unpainted.
Clark

O Fenton Wells

I really like the roof treatment
Fenton

On Apr 12, 2022, at 2:34 PM, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:

While I was reworking the CIL car to a SOU car I also assembled and painted this RI AAR 37 mod box car. Both cars were finished this morning.
It's an Intermountain kit I've had for awhile wanting to turn it into a CNW riveted PS1. Last week we made a road trip to Caboose Stop Hobbies in Cedars Falls (watch their Utube videos, a real hoot) I picked up a Mask Island RI decal set and some Tru-color RI paint. I don't have a RI car right now and I do have a CNW riveted PS1, so the choice was easy. Only changes to the kit build was using Tichy straight 18" grabs on the end sills, A-Line sill steps and a complete Kadee Universal hand brake. What painting info I found did not mention the roof, so I assumed it was unpainted.
Clark RI 146682 1.jpg

Tim O'Connor

very clean masking job on that roof !

On 4/12/2022 2:34 PM, Clark Propst via groups.io wrote:
While I was reworking the CIL car to a SOU car I also assembled and painted this RI AAR 37 mod box car. Both cars were finished this morning.
It's an Intermountain kit I've had for awhile wanting to turn it into a CNW riveted PS1. Last week we made a road trip to Caboose Stop Hobbies in Cedars Falls (watch their Utube videos, a real hoot) I picked up a Mask Island RI decal set and some Tru-color RI paint. I don't have a RI car right now and I do have a CNW riveted PS1, so the choice was easy. Only changes to the kit build was using Tichy straight 18" grabs on the end sills, A-Line sill steps and a complete Kadee Universal hand brake. What painting info I found did not mention the roof, so I assumed it was unpainted.
Clark

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

hubert mask

Nice job on the car.   Excellent job on the decals

Hubert Mask

On Apr 12, 2022, at 9:25 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Doggett

Clark

A really nice job all round

Paul Doggett

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 06:25 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
very clean masking job on that roof !

Roof was painted separately with the running board glued on. I airbrushed with my galvanize mix and brush painted the seam caps with body color, then toughed up with my galvanize mix  and repeated...Running board was brush painted with Tru-color aged wood which is a gray color. I went over that dry brushing on body color and prismacolor pencils. I used a orangeish/brownish pencil for toe marks behind the ladder rungs and lightly went over the rivet lines and other details just to highlight...Never see any of it when operating  :  /
Clark

gtws00

Well done. Really like the roof treatment and weathering treatment
George Toman

gtws00

Nice looking build. May I ask what your galvanize mix is?
George Toman

Clark Propst

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 04:27 AM, gtws00 wrote:
May I ask what your galvanize mix is?
George Toman
Wish I could tell you George. I just keep pouring Floquil silvers and grays in the bottle when it gets low.
Clark

Philip Dove

Galvanising changes colour a lot in it, S first year or so  galvanising is a polished silver finish when new but with an odd crackle finish. It goes to mid grey and eventually loses any crackle finish. For old but clean galvanized you need a mid. Very slightly blue grey. It takes a long time for rust to come through galvanized and the rust is localised if it results from a scratch. Paint applied straight to a bright galvanized surface will often come off in sheets.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022, 16:03 Clark Propst via groups.io, <cepropst=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 04:27 AM, gtws00 wrote:
May I ask what your galvanize mix is?
George Toman
Wish I could tell you George. I just keep pouring Floquil silvers and grays in the bottle when it gets low.
Clark

Clark Propst

I'm trying to eliminate my backlog before nicer weather. Temp was 23 feels like 13 here this morning, so I'm not too worried about not getting most kits built...But I keep getting more!
Here's a Tichy model I bought on our last road trip to Caboose Stop Hobbies in Cedar Falls. Tru-color paint, Westerfield decals. They were for a Fowler car, but worked ok by rearranging the road name. As with most Westerfield decals there were no repack dates and the reweighs were too old. I used that info from a NSC CNW PS-1 set leftovers.
The Kadee hopper was a basket case sent to me by John Golden, thanks John  ;  )) I know two modelers that have been known to get frustrated enough to throw a model against the wall. By the looks of this model I'm not sure if I now know three? Had to add a grab or two, there were a few parts I could put back on, rebuild one of the bolsters and screw on a pair of P2K trucks. I have no photos of this series car so am happy throwing any trucks under the car...

Paul Doggett

Clark

I like the CNW car it’s a nice build.

Paul Doggett

On 18 Apr 2022, at 17:21, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:

[...]

David Soderblom

The car is outstanding, but I especially noticed the realism of the surrounding grass. How did you do that?

Sent from my tricorder

Charlie Duckworth

Clark
Nice C&NW car.  Aren’t the Kadee hoppers RTR?  I bet it took a nose dive off someone’s layout.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Clark Propst

David Soderblom
Apr 18

I especially noticed the realism of the surrounding grass. How did you do that?

Obviously you missed my presentation during last Saturdays "Hindsight 20/20" virtual RPM.
It was on scenery. Unfortunately, it's not within the scope of this group. It's just static grass.
Clark

Clark Propst

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 06:35 PM, Charlie Duckworth wrote:
Aren’t the Kadee hoppers RTR?  I bet it took a nose dive off someone’s layout.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.
Yes they are RTR. This one was decaled by John I assume. Before it met with disaster.
Clark

Bob Chaparro

Nice work with the chalk marks.
Bob Chaparro