Burn Baby Burn

Hudson Leighton

Brian Carlson

Obviously NP was reclaiming metal. Fairly common back in the day. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Apr 25, 2022, at 6:52 PM, Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Daniel A. Mitchell

Indeed. Burning was the standard way of scrapping any composite (wood-metal) structure, from sheds to steamships.

Dan Mitchell
==========

Charles Peck

Late 1940's, the L&N was burning wooden cars nightly. They had been tipped over sideways 
off the trucks and set ablaze. We would sometimes drive over in the evening to watch the fires. 
By morning, I was told, the fires had burnt out. The crane with the magnet would go through 
picking out metal. The ashes were scraped away and another line of cars got tipped over for
the next burn. 
Between old wooden cars and retired steamers, there was a lot of scrap leaving the railroad 
in those years. 
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 7:20 PM Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Obviously NP was reclaiming metal. Fairly common back in the day. 

Brian J. Carlson 

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Jerry Michels

ART burned retired wooden reefers at Bush, IL, which is curious because it was not ART property but rather a remote coal marshaling yard in southern Illinois on the Missouri Pacific.  MP owned half of ART. Perhaps the smoke didn't attract as much attention as it did in populated areas?

Jerry Michels

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Jerry and List Members,

One might figure that, after burning, most of the steel parts would simply be sent to a scrap yard. In that case, it may make sense to burn the cars in a location at or near the scrap yard, or in a location where the steel parts are easily loaded into gons for shipment to a scrap yard.

Lastly, I believe in current times car are cut up for scrap on railroad property, but the work is done by an entity other than the railroad itself. Perhaps the burn operation was on railroad property, but the work to burn the cars and process the steel parts was done by some entity other than MP or ART

Claus Schlund

Sent: 25 April, 2022 22:16
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Burn Baby Burn

ART burned retired wooden reefers at Bush, IL, which is curious because it was not ART property but rather a remote coal marshaling yard in southern Illinois on the Missouri Pacific.  MP owned half of ART. Perhaps the smoke didn't attract as much attention as it did in populated areas?

Jerry Michels

Tim O'Connor

Indeed by the 1950's air pollution had become a major issue in southern California (which is
why the SP and other railroads prematurely had to cease steam operations in the LA basin).
These Pacific Electric cars were scrapped with torches - but what a bonfire this would have made!

Tim O'Connor

On 4/25/2022 10:16 PM, Jerry Michels wrote:

ART burned retired wooden reefers at Bush, IL, which is curious because it was not ART property but rather a remote coal marshaling yard in southern Illinois on the Missouri Pacific.  MP owned half of ART. Perhaps the smoke didn't attract as much attention as it did in populated areas?

Jerry Michels

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

The Western Pacific did that with their wood PFE reefers.

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022, 08:41:13 AM CDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Indeed by the 1950's air pollution had become a major issue in southern California (which is
why the SP and other railroads prematurely had to cease steam operations in the LA basin).
These Pacific Electric cars were scrapped with torches - but what a bonfire this would have made!

Tim O'Connor

On 4/25/2022 10:16 PM, Jerry Michels wrote:

Jerry Michels

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Dave Nelson

A couple weeks ago I went thru the archives looking for some posts about the burning of PRR’s XL boxcars – IIRC about 31,000 cars.  I didn’t find exactly what I was looking for (perhaps it was on the previous list) which was something about pulling a long string of cars into the burn track and torching 50-100 cars at once.

Whatever it was it must have been an impressive sight.

Dave Nelson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hudson Leighton
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 3:53 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Burn Baby Burn

http://research.nprha.org/BRHS/BRHS_467_1_1374.jpg

-Hudson

Clarence Zink

I understand that this is the STEAM era group, but a few years ago the UP had a couple of wrecked box cars at the east end of the Garrett Yard in Arlington, Tx. set off the tracks.  They were cut up by UP crews.  It took about a week for a crew of 4 to cut them up.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos.  Bummer.  

Garrett Yard was built to service the GM Assembly plant in Arlington.  I worked nearby, so drove past the yard 2x per day.

CRZ

Hudson Leighton

With wood cars in a lot of cases the metal from the cars was recovered and
reused on new and rebuilt cars.

-Hudson