Burn Baby Burn

Hudson Leighton

Brian Carlson

Obviously NP was reclaiming metal. Fairly common back in the day.

Brian J. Carlson

On Apr 25, 2022, at 6:52 PM, Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Daniel A. Mitchell

Indeed. Burning was the standard way of scrapping any composite (wood-metal) structure, from sheds to steamships.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Apr 25, 2022, at 6:52 PM, Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:

Charles Peck

Late 1940's, the L&N was burning wooden cars nightly. They had been tipped over sideways
off the trucks and set ablaze. We would sometimes drive over in the evening to watch the fires.
By morning, I was told, the fires had burnt out. The crane with the magnet would go through
picking out metal. The ashes were scraped away and another line of cars got tipped over for
the next burn.
Between old wooden cars and retired steamers, there was a lot of scrap leaving the railroad
in those years.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 7:20 PM Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Obviously NP was reclaiming metal. Fairly common back in the day.

Brian J. Carlson

On Apr 25, 2022, at 6:52 PM, Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Jerry Michels

ART burned retired wooden reefers at Bush, IL, which is curious because it was not ART property but rather a remote coal marshaling yard in southern Illinois on the Missouri Pacific.  MP owned half of ART. Perhaps the smoke didn't attract as much attention as it did in populated areas?

Jerry Michels

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Jerry and List Members,

One might figure that, after burning, most of the steel parts would simply be sent to a scrap yard. In that case, it may make sense to burn the cars in a location at or near the scrap yard, or in a location where the steel parts are easily loaded into gons for shipment to a scrap yard.

Lastly, I believe in current times car are cut up for scrap on railroad property, but the work is done by an entity other than the railroad itself. Perhaps the burn operation was on railroad property, but the work to burn the cars and process the steel parts was done by some entity other than MP or ART

Claus Schlund