early insulated tank car

Ray Hutchison

There is an interesting Ambroid kit of an early insulated tank car, shown below, also released as a Northeastern kit.  (Brass Trains has a built model of this, listed as brass but clearly the Ambroid kit, same decals and obvious builders error, for $225 ).  I would like to determine if this was a foobie (which I think would be uncommon for an Ambroid kit) as I have not been able to find any photographs of the car.  And if it is not a foobie, where there might be a builders diagram of the actual car.  Thank you for any leads...

Daniel A. Mitchell

Yes, it has a prototype.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On May 12, 2022, at 10:15 AM, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

There is an interesting Ambroid kit of an early insulated tank car, shown below, also released as a Northeastern kit.  (Brass Trains has a built model of this, listed as brass but clearly the Ambroid kit, same decals and obvious builders error, for $225 ).  I would like to determine if this was a foobie (which I think would be uncommon for an Ambroid kit) as I have not been able to find any photographs of the car.  And if it is not a foobie, where there might be a builders diagram of the actual car.  Thank you for any leads...

<Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 9.09.52 AM.png>

Todd Sullivan

I  believe ti was a very early version of an insulated tank car.  The corrugated 'skin' covered the insualtion.

Todd Sullivan

Drew M.

There was an article with prototype date in a 2019 issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist about this car.

Drew Marshall in South Philly

On May 12, 2022, at 10:15, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

There is an interesting Ambroid kit of an early insulated tank car, shown below, also released as a Northeastern kit.  (Brass Trains has a built model of this, listed as brass but clearly the Ambroid kit, same decals and obvious builders error, for $225 ).  I would like to determine if this was a foobie (which I think would be uncommon for an Ambroid kit) as I have not been able to find any photographs of the car.  And if it is not a foobie, where there might be a builders diagram of the actual car.  Thank you for any leads...

Ray Breyer

There are actually a few prototypes (MCHX is in a museum, I think St. Louis). I've attached all of the photos I have of this type of tank car. Note that most of them are post-WWI builds, with the bulk of them being built during WWII. Mostly, they were used to transport nitric acid.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Thursday, May 12, 2022, 09:44:45 AM CDT, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

Yes, it has a prototype.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On May 12, 2022, at 10:15 AM, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

There is an interesting Ambroid kit of an early insulated tank car, shown below, also released as a Northeastern kit.  (Brass Trains has a built model of this, listed as brass but clearly the Ambroid kit, same decals and obvious builders error, for $225 ).  I would like to determine if this was a foobie (which I think would be uncommon for an Ambroid kit) as I have not been able to find any photographs of the car.  And if it is not a foobie, where there might be a builders diagram of the actual car.  Thank you for any leads...

<Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 9.09.52 AM.png>

Steve and Barb Hile

MCHX 117 is in the NMOT in St. Louis.  I took some pictures there in 2013.

The interior was/is accessible and I walked through it.

I was not surprised to see the round headed rivets on the interior.  But was surprised that they were also round headed on the exterior of the tank.  And that the wagon top cover was open at the bottom!

I wish that I knew better exactly what the jacket was designed to accomplish.  I think that it is less about insulation and more about containment of “lighter than air” vapors while in transit.

Steve Hile

[...]

Steve SANDIFER

Monsanto car at the museum in St. Louis.

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

Richard Townsend

It was in the July 2019 Running Extra.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

There was an article with prototype date in a 2019 issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist about this car.

Drew Marshall in South Philly

On May 12, 2022, at 10:15, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:
There is an interesting Ambroid kit of an early insulated tank car, shown below, also released as a Northeastern kit.  (Brass Trains has a built model of this, listed as brass but clearly the Ambroid kit, same decals and obvious builders error, for $225 ).  I would like to determine if this was a foobie (which I think would be uncommon for an Ambroid kit) as I have not been able to find any photographs of the car.  And if it is not a foobie, where there might be a builders diagram of the actual car.  Thank you for any leads...

Drew M.

Didn't Red Ball at one time offer a model of the Monsanto car?

Drew Marshall in sunny South Philly

On May 12, 2022, at 18:21, Steve SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, with a printed paper wrapper to go over a milled wood core. Red Ball called it an acetic acid tank car. I have a kit but have not tried to build it yet. The tank ends are cast metal, as are the underframe and the dome.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

The car at St. Louis is NCHX #117, Monsanto Chemicals Company, 1940. Built by AC&F for Monsanto, 8000 gallon, double hull car designed for transporting concentrated nitric acid. The inner tank is constructed of an aluminum alloy which is protected by a cushion of air and a steel outer shell. Donated in 1961.

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

So....  any builder diagrams, train encyclopedia, or other diagrams for Riverside Oil car?  The Ambroid instruction sheet is nicely detailed (as always) but I don't know if the dimensions are correct?

Red Ball Monsanto car in sitting on the shelf and next in line.

rh