Photo: Second Brooke Avenue Yard (Circa 1950s)

David Wiggs

Sorry Marty; gettin' old ain't for sissies.

david

Scott

The article on the Southgate Terminal was in Model Railroad Planning 2002.  It has a cover shot of an U.P Turbine on it.

Scott McDonald

Marty McGuirk

Bernie Kempinski write the article you’re thinking of - it was in MRP not MR.
He also wrote a follow up of sorts on his blog:

On May 18, 2022, at 4:27 PM, David Wiggs <bigwiggs@...> wrote:

Several or many years ago, MR (?) featured an article about this little yard with an accompanying track plan.  This photo was in the article.  Can't remember the year or issue; only the molasses tank.

Davo in Orlando

David Wiggs

Several or many years ago, MR (?) featured an article about this little yard with an accompanying track plan.  This photo was in the article.  Can't remember the year or issue; only the molasses tank.

Davo in Orlando

Bruce Smith

Jim,

Let me suggest that you have it backwards. The cars are OUTSIDE the fence, not enclosed by it. The fence is designed to control access to the rail yard and warehouse area. And of course, access is from the continuation at the bottom of the screen, likely off an road that runs by the facility.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jim Betz <jimbetz@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 8:50 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Second Brooke Avenue Yard (Circa 1950s)

Hi,
  Additional/followup question ... speaking of those autos.  First, I'm kind of surprised
that they are behind a fence ... I'm guessing theft risks.  And, more importantly, how
did those cars and the trucks get to this area?  I'm guessing that the only route in is
via some access along the water between the ends of the buildings and the sea wall.
                                                                        - Jim in the PNW

Jim Betz

Hi,
  Additional/followup question ... speaking of those autos.  First, I'm kind of surprised
that they are behind a fence ... I'm guessing theft risks.  And, more importantly, how
did those cars and the trucks get to this area?  I'm guessing that the only route in is
via some access along the water between the ends of the buildings and the sea wall.
                                                                        - Jim in the PNW

Jim Betz

Bob,
  Thanks for this photo and all of the others you post - they are valued.
  In this pic the detail that I love is that rubber-tired truck backed in between two
box cars!
  I also love seeing all of those 50's era automobiles parked "in between the
tracks".  This is something we can use on our layouts!  Of course that means
also including the roads/routes and crossings for them to get there.  All easy
enough to do and as is often said "the devil is in the details".
                                                                                  - Jim in the PNW

Jason P

At minimum that photo would be 1958. Scanning the identifiable cars parked along the road, I can spot a pair of 1958 Chevrolets among the group. That's the newest model that I can make out. I can see several 57 models too including an Oldsmobile, several Fords, a Chevrolet and Mercury Commuter wagon.

-Jason P

On 05/17/2022 1:10 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Second Brooke Avenue Yard (Circa 1950s)

Photo and information from the U.S. Military Railroad blog:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vq23lqNxtAc/WOZN5nGNHEI/AAAAAAAAKRU/SZh2AiQzCYIBz8RFmaANIh5SvHLSs3pngCLcB/s1600/BrookeAveOverallView.jpg

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

The location was the Southgate Terminal Corporation at the former C&O Railroad Brooke Avenue Yard in Norfolk, Virginia. The terminal was an isolated switching district that was only served by rail via a car float from Newport News. The C&O yard was surrounded by warehouses, factories, a brewery, a concrete freight depot, and a large molasses tank.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Todd Sullivan

Wow!  Some of those turnouts look like No.3s.  Amazing what you can get away with when space is tight.

Todd Sullivan.

O Fenton Wells

Great photo Bob, thanks for sharing
Fenton