H34s Aren't

John Sykes III

Edited

I saw an ad that just came out for Bowser  "H34" covered hopper cars.  First, I noticed that PRR was not one of the road names offered, which makes sense since the PRR H34s (300) and the later H34a/b/cs (300/400/400) all had round hatches (to the best of my knowledge) and the Bowser kit is shown with square hatches.  These models are closer to a generic PS2 hopper, however, some of the build dates shown are inconsistent and at least one of the Bowser models had a clear ACF builder's stencil on it.  Check your prototype before buying.  I'm wondering if these are actually ACF prototypes mislabeled in the ad as H34s?  The Kadee covered hoppers are dead-on for the PRR H34/H34a cars and are stenciled as such.

Tim O'Connor

Bowser doesn't make an H34 model (PS-2 2003). They do make an H43 model, which is an open hopper.
And I think they make an H30, which is a 2 bay covered hopper. And I think the Bowser ACF 1958 cubic foot
covered hoppers can be kitbashed to make the PRR H33.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/21/2022 4:12 PM, John Sykes III via groups.io wrote:

I saw an ad that just came out for Bowser  "H34" covered hopper cars.  First, I noticed that PRR was not one of the road names offered, which makes sense since the PRR H34s and more numerous H34as all had round hatches (to the best of my knowledge) and the Bowser kit is shown with square hatches.  These models are closer to a generic PS2 hopper, however, some of the build dates shown are inconsistent and at least one model had a clear ACF builder's stencil on it.  Check your prototype before buying.  I'm wondering if these are actually ACF prototypes mislabeled in the ad as H34s?  The Kadee covered hoppers are dead-on for the PRR H34/H34a cars.

Sterling, Massachusetts

John Sykes III

Check out Bowser's webpage.  They are advertising these as H34s!

-- John

Brian Carlson

Someone on Bowser’s marketing, web, or art staff got into the edibles.

Are just the standard Bowser ACF 1958 cubic foot covered hoppers gussied up a little.

Thankfully even Bowser wasn’t dumb enough to paint one Pennsylvania.

Brian J. Carlson

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

John Sykes III

Yeah.  I thought they were ACF 1958s.

-- John

pennsylvania1954

Hi John--Almost right on the Kadee cars. Excellent models of the H34A, but not H34. H34 has the end hatches more toward the middle of the car. See Rob's Page http://prr.railfan.net/freight/classpage.html?class=H34 . Note that the photo at the top of the page is an H33.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

John Sykes III

Steve -- you are right! and the Kadees are numbered and stenciled as H34as.

-- John

Clark Propst

My bet is most of the paint schemes are not on the correct car?
Clark Propst