From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 9:18 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Final Wash For Flat Car Decks

Some time ago thinned India Ink was a recommended final wash for weathering flat car decks.  Does anyone recall what was used to thin the ink?

Thanks:

Bill Pardie

Nelson Moyer

I used 70% isopropyl alcohol. The ratio of ink to alcohol depends upon how dark you want the weathering. Mix 1 part ink to 9 parts alcohol, and dilute from there accordingly.

For flat car decks, it depends upon whether they’re wood or painted plastic or resin.

I stain wood decks with diluted Campbell tie stain, then weather with Pan Pastels. The tie stain is diluted with turpentine to adjust the staining intensity. I’ve posted photos of flat cars with wood decks, so check the archives on resincarbuilders io group.

Nelson Moyer

Some time ago thinned India Ink was a recommended final wash for weathering flat car decks.  Does anyone recall what was used to thin the ink?

Thanks:

Bill Pardie

WILLIAM PARDIE

Thanks Nelson And Steve:

Is there still a Campbell's tie stain?

Bill Pardie

Some time ago thinned India Ink was a recommended final wash for weathering flat car decks.  Does anyone recall what was used to thin the ink?

Thanks:

Bill Pardie

Nelson Moyer

I searched but couldn’t find any, so no, it’s probably no longer available. I bought an 8 oz. car around 1978 to stain ties for a Timesaver. The can says it was specially made for Campbell and there is a warning that it contains petroleum distillate, so since Campbell was in CA, it’s  probable that it was discontinued due to CA idiocy. It’s probably illegal to ship by air or I’d send you some. One can lasts more than a lifetime because of the high dilution factor.

I’ve seen MR articles recommending various MinWax stains for ties, so you might look at those for an organic solvent based wood stain. Think Ebony Black was one of the recommended stains.

Nelson Moyer

On 2022-06-01 14:20, steve_wintner via groups.io wrote:
For staining real wood, Tools for Working Wood, Lee Valley, and others
offer a multitude of products, using a variety of solvents.
Steve
Links:
------
[1] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/message/193064
[2] https://groups.io/mt/91467358/645454
[3] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/post
[4] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/editsub/645454
[5] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/leave/11334620/645454/765963421/xyzzy
--
Kevin Macomber
NGMC

Geodyssey

Note that, in addition to pints & quarts of the common 70 & 90% isopropyl alcohol, you can get 99% via special order from your pharmacy (ask).

Doesn't cost much more but definitely works better in some situations.  Like paint stripping.  And with just 1/10 the water content as the 90%, it may result in less warping when used for staining.

Rob Simpson