Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

Charlie Duckworth

I always liked the Sloan yellow color the Katy painted their cabooses and boxcars.  The Accurail lettering is pretty accurate so all I did was replace the ladders with those I made and wire hand grabs.  Weathered with pin washes are out d the rivets and door details using black and brown.  I ordered a bottle of Vallejo Brown Wash after seeing an O gauge SLRX car using the wash over the white sides.

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

hubert mask

That is sharp.

Hubert

On Jun 6, 2022, at 9:07 PM, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:

I always liked the Sloan yellow color the Katy painted their cabooses and boxcars.  The Accurail lettering is pretty accurate so all I did was replace the ladders with those I made and wire hand grabs.  Weathered with pin washes are out d the rivets and door details using black and brown.  I ordered a bottle of Vallejo Brown Wash after seeing an O gauge SLRX car using the wash over the white sides.

96054A85-72C5-4871-B6B4-B2CE5FA73EFA.jpeg3AE080B3-1D92-469D-BF24-C837B69D7CB7.jpeg
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Tony Thompson

Very good-looking car, Charlie, with your usual excellent touch with the locations and degree of dirt. I too have always liked the Katy yellow.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Charlie Duckworth

Tony thanks, the yellow certainly allows for a canvas to add weathering.

 Can someone tell me how long these cars lasted; the reweigh date is 1938 and I’d like to move it up to the late 1940’s or early 50’s.

Charlie

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 8:32 PM Tony Thompson <tony_at_signaturepress.com_Worth51@...> wrote:
Very good-looking car, Charlie, with your usual excellent touch with the locations and degree of dirt. I too have always liked the Katy yellow.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Gorgeous.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 6, 2022, at 8:07 PM, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:

I always liked the Sloan yellow color the Katy painted their cabooses and boxcars.  The Accurail lettering is pretty accurate so all I did was replace the ladders with those I made and wire hand grabs.  Weathered with pin washes are out d the rivets and door details using black and brown.  I ordered a bottle of Vallejo Brown Wash after seeing an O gauge SLRX car using the wash over the white sides.

96054A85-72C5-4871-B6B4-B2CE5FA73EFA.jpeg3AE080B3-1D92-469D-BF24-C837B69D7CB7.jpeg
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Jared Harper

I really like your weathering.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Nelson Moyer

Charlie, you keep turning one masterpiece after another.

Nelson Moyer

I always liked the Sloan yellow color the Katy painted their cabooses and boxcars.  The Accurail lettering is pretty accurate so all I did was replace the ladders with those I made and wire hand grabs.  Weathered with pin washes are out d the rivets and door details using black and brown.  I ordered a bottle of Vallejo Brown Wash after seeing an O gauge SLRX car using the wash over the white sides.

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Paul Doggett

Charlie
A very nice job .
Paul Doggett

On 7 Jun 2022, at 02:07, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:

I always liked the Sloan yellow color the Katy painted their cabooses and boxcars.  The Accurail lettering is pretty accurate so all I did was replace the ladders with those I made and wire hand grabs.  Weathered with pin washes are out d the rivets and door details using black and brown.  I ordered a bottle of Vallejo Brown Wash after seeing an O gauge SLRX car using the wash over the white sides.

96054A85-72C5-4871-B6B4-B2CE5FA73EFA.jpeg3AE080B3-1D92-469D-BF24-C837B69D7CB7.jpeg
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

A&Y Dave in MD

Not sure which series the MKT car is, but Ray’s notes at Eric’s site should include length of service:

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/accurail-prototype-data/

--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

Charlie Duckworth

David
Thanks!

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 5:58 AM A&Y Dave in MD <dbott_at_vt.edu_Worth51@...> wrote:
Not sure which series the MKT car is, but Ray’s notes at Eric’s site should include length of service: http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/accurail-prototype-data/ -- ____________________________David
DuckDuckGo did not detect any trackers.
More
Not sure which series the MKT car is, but Ray’s notes at Eric’s site should include length of service:

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/accurail-prototype-data/

--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Jim Ogden

Loving it! Those Accurail cars are real gems and your work is like that of a diamond cutter.

Jim Ogden

Eric Hansmann

An additional MKT wood sheathed box car resource is a Steve Hedlund blog post from a few years ago. He reviews several MKT lettering changes that can be used as time markers in our modeling efforts.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jun 7, 2022, at 5:58 AM, A&Y Dave in MD <dbott@...> wrote:

Not sure which series the MKT car is, but Ray’s notes at Eric’s site should include length of service:

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/accurail-prototype-data/

--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

Bill J.

“Just another” Duckworth masterpiece!  How do you do it EVERY times!?  I would love to know how you scribe into the sides the plastic that remains after you cut off the cast ladder rungs.

Bill Jolitz

who really loved running your layout TWICE!

Charlie Duckworth

Bill
I just carve off the cast on rungs, sand the area and rescribe with a microsaw.  I’m not always lucky as you can see a couple gouges by the hand grabs on the left side.

Charlie

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 12:26 PM Bill J. via groups.io <jolitzwr=yahoo.com_at_groups.io_Worth51@...> wrote:
“Just another” Duckworth masterpiece! How do you do it EVERY times!? I would love to know how you scribe into the sides the plastic that remains after you cut off the cast ladder rungs. Bill Jolitz wh
DuckDuckGo did not detect any trackers.
More

“Just another” Duckworth masterpiece!  How do you do it EVERY times!?  I would love to know how you scribe into the sides the plastic that remains after you cut off the cast ladder rungs.

Bill Jolitz

who really loved running your layout TWICE!

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Eric Hansmann

I’m not Charlie, but I’ve had to scribe board grooves on plastic models after removing details. I use several dental tools after the initial removal with and X-Acto chisel blade. You can read more about the process and tools in this blog post from a couple years ago.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2020/12/28/lackawanna-boxcars-part-2/

While the focus is on removing the door brace, I’ve used the same method in removing cast on grabs.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN