Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

Charlie Duckworth

I always liked the Sloan yellow color the Katy painted their cabooses and boxcars.  The Accurail lettering is pretty accurate so all I did was replace the ladders with those I made and wire hand grabs.  Weathered with pin washes are out d the rivets and door details using black and brown.  I ordered a bottle of Vallejo Brown Wash after seeing an O gauge SLRX car using the wash over the white sides. 

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

hubert mask

That is sharp.

Hubert 

On Jun 6, 2022, at 9:07 PM, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:

I always liked the Sloan yellow color the Katy painted their cabooses and boxcars.  The Accurail lettering is pretty accurate so all I did was replace the ladders with those I made and wire hand grabs.  Weathered with pin washes are out d the rivets and door details using black and brown.  I ordered a bottle of Vallejo Brown Wash after seeing an O gauge SLRX car using the wash over the white sides. 

96054A85-72C5-4871-B6B4-B2CE5FA73EFA.jpeg3AE080B3-1D92-469D-BF24-C837B69D7CB7.jpeg
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Tony Thompson

Very good-looking car, Charlie, with your usual excellent touch with the locations and degree of dirt. I too have always liked the Katy yellow.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Charlie Duckworth

Tony thanks, the yellow certainly allows for a canvas to add weathering.  

Can someone tell me how long these cars lasted; the reweigh date is 1938 and I’d like to move it up to the late 1940’s or early 50’s. 

Charlie 

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 8:32 PM Tony Thompson <tony_at_signaturepress.com_Worth51@...> wrote:
Very good-looking car, Charlie, with your usual excellent touch with the locations and degree of dirt. I too have always liked the Katy yellow.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Gorgeous. 

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 6, 2022, at 8:07 PM, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:

96054A85-72C5-4871-B6B4-B2CE5FA73EFA.jpeg3AE080B3-1D92-469D-BF24-C837B69D7CB7.jpeg
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Jared Harper

I really like your weathering.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Nelson Moyer

Charlie, you keep turning one masterpiece after another.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Duckworth via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 8:07 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Paul Doggett

Charlie 
A very nice job .
Paul Doggett 

On 7 Jun 2022, at 02:07, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

A&Y Dave in MD

Not sure which series the MKT car is, but Ray’s notes at Eric’s site should include length of service:

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/accurail-prototype-data/

--

Charlie Duckworth

David
Thanks!

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 5:58 AM A&Y Dave in MD <dbott_at_vt.edu_Worth51@...> wrote:
Not sure which series the MKT car is, but Ray’s notes at Eric’s site should include length of service: http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/accurail-prototype-data/ -- ____________________________David
DuckDuckGo did not detect any trackers.
More 
Not sure which series the MKT car is, but Ray’s notes at Eric’s site should include length of service:

--

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Jim Ogden

Loving it! Those Accurail cars are real gems and your work is like that of a diamond cutter.

Jim Ogden

Eric Hansmann

An additional MKT wood sheathed box car resource is a Steve Hedlund blog post from a few years ago. He reviews several MKT lettering changes that can be used as time markers in our modeling efforts. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jun 7, 2022, at 5:58 AM, A&Y Dave in MD <dbott@...> wrote:

--

Bill J.

“Just another” Duckworth masterpiece!  How do you do it EVERY times!?  I would love to know how you scribe into the sides the plastic that remains after you cut off the cast ladder rungs.  

Bill Jolitz 

who really loved running your layout TWICE!

Charlie Duckworth

Bill
I just carve off the cast on rungs, sand the area and rescribe with a microsaw.  I’m not always lucky as you can see a couple gouges by the hand grabs on the left side. 

Charlie 

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 12:26 PM Bill J. via groups.io <jolitzwr=yahoo.com_at_groups.io_Worth51@...> wrote:
“Just another” Duckworth masterpiece! How do you do it EVERY times!? I would love to know how you scribe into the sides the plastic that remains after you cut off the cast ladder rungs. Bill Jolitz wh
DuckDuckGo did not detect any trackers.
More 

“Just another” Duckworth masterpiece!  How do you do it EVERY times!?  I would love to know how you scribe into the sides the plastic that remains after you cut off the cast ladder rungs.  

Bill Jolitz 

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Eric Hansmann

I’m not Charlie, but I’ve had to scribe board grooves on plastic models after removing details. I use several dental tools after the initial removal with and X-Acto chisel blade. You can read more about the process and tools in this blog post from a couple years ago.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2020/12/28/lackawanna-boxcars-part-2/

While the focus is on removing the door brace, I’ve used the same method in removing cast on grabs.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill J. via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2022 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Accurail MKT 36’ boxcar

“Just another” Duckworth masterpiece!  How do you do it EVERY times!?  I would love to know how you scribe into the sides the plastic that remains after you cut off the cast ladder rungs.  

Bill Jolitz 

Tim O'Connor

This photo shows a box car a friend made with gouges where he replaced the grab irons. I filled in the
gouges with clear acrylic (in a few layers for depth) and sanded with my *finger sander* as shown in this
photo. I then lightly overcoated with color, and then clear flat, which made the scratches invisible.

Tim

sanding tool -- * https://i0.wp.com/nationalscalecar.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/IMG_4035.jpg *

On 6/7/2022 3:12 PM, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io wrote:

Bill
I just carve off the cast on rungs, sand the area and rescribe with a microsaw.  I’m not always lucky as you can see a couple gouges by the hand grabs on the left side. 

Charlie 

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

spsalso

Following is a listing of 36' box cars ("steel underframe") in the MKT section of the October 1950 ORER:

MKT 74105-75597 (30 cars)
MKTT 170000-170228 (15 cars)

above had a capy of 60,000

Those same series numbered 170 and 75 in the October 1947.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Ken Adams

Eric, et al.,

I bought a couple of sizes of chisels from UMM that make short work of cast on ladders and grab irons. I have scribers from UMM too but have not used them yet to re-grove siding. I also use Xacto and OLFA square blades when the area needs a flat blade. 
--
Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude
Owner PlasticFreightCarBuilders@groups.io

Tom Palmer

Hi Charlie,

Several made it through WW2. After the war they started going really fast being replaced with steel cars.

Latest ones were built in 1923. First group was built in 1913. Many were converted to cabooses in the 800 numbers. One of those is still in existence in La Grange TX. It still has the original trucks. After war survivors were used as MoW cars until the early 1960’s.

If you want the complete group by group history just let me know. I can dig it out.

Best regards,

Tom Palmer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Duckworth via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 8:39 PM

Can someone tell me how long these cars lasted; the reweigh date is 1938 and I’d like to move it up to the late 1940’s or early 50’s. 

Charlie 

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 8:32 PM Tony Thompson <tony_at_signaturepress.com_Worth51@...> wrote:

Tony Thompson
tony@...

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Tim O'Connor

some photos

On 6/7/2022 7:01 PM, Tom Palmer wrote:

Hi Charlie,

Several made it through WW2. After the war they started going really fast being replaced with steel cars.

Latest ones were built in 1923. First group was built in 1913. Many were converted to cabooses in the 800 numbers. One of those is still in existence in La Grange TX. It still has the original trucks. After war survivors were used as MoW cars until the early 1960’s.

If you want the complete group by group history just let me know. I can dig it out.

Best regards,

Tom Palmer

Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 8:39 PM

Charlie 

Tony Thompson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts