Photo: ART Reefer 13660 (Undated)

lrkdbn

This car was an ART design built about 1912-14. by ACF . The shorter door was common on cars of this vintage-consider PFE R_30-5 or 6 as built. There seems to have been a trend around or just after WW1
towards taller doors on reefers at least in the produce trade. The 1922 CBD p.222 has drawings of this car with the original wood roof, and Westerfield has a kit.
Larry King

Tim O'Connor

It's especially hard with brown versus orange since brown is essentially "dark orange".

Tim O'Connor

On 6/9/2022 12:52 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:

What a great example to illustrate why you can't rely on B&W photos to determine colors:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/details?id=455900

At first glance the entire car appears to be one color, perhaps FCR or Pullman green. But you have to ask yourself why is the side lettering darker than the background and the end lettering lighter? Then it becomes obvious that the car has the traditional yellow or orange sides and FCR ends. Likely the effect of orthochromatic film.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

What a great example to illustrate why you can't rely on B&W photos to determine colors:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/details?id=455900

At first glance the entire car appears to be one color, perhaps FCR or Pullman green. But you have to ask yourself why is the side lettering darker than the background and the end lettering lighter? Then it becomes obvious that the car has the traditional yellow or orange sides and FCR ends. Likely the effect of orthochromatic film.

Dennis Storzek

Charlie Duckworth

Phil
For whatever reason this early group of ART reefer were built with the shorter doors they weren’t for only meat service.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Tim O'Connor

When I hear "shorter door" for a reefer, I immediately think "internal overhead brine tank". I think
that ART did have some of those, which I think were used for frozen foods.

A "meat reefer" would be classified RSM which means it had overhead meat rails.

On 6/8/2022 2:17 PM, nyc3001 . wrote:

I wonder if this reefer was meant for another commodity like meat. It has a shorter door and overall looks quite different from the "signature" ART wood reefer.

-Phil Lee

Sterling, Massachusetts

nyc3001 .

I wonder if this reefer was meant for another commodity like meat. It has a shorter door and overall looks quite different from the "signature" ART wood reefer.

-Phil Lee

Bob Chaparro

Photo: ART Reefer 13660 (Undated)

Photo from the Utah State Historical Society:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/details?id=455900

Photo can be enlarged.

Good end detail.

Bob Chaparro