USAX 11225 Questions

Tim O'Connor

And yet the cars remained in service for many years. And many ran into the 1980's in Mexico.

On 6/26/2022 9:27 PM, Chris Barkan wrote:

Lettered on the right side of the tank is EMERGENCY USGA AC&F CO, .and the built date of 10-42. What is EMERGENCY USGA?

This was a temporary relaxation of tank car construction standards in 1942 for the purpose of building up a fleet of cars to haul crude oil and gasoline until new pipelines could be built to handle the load. Their primary distinguishing trait was  the use of 4-course tank shells.

David Thompson

I am away from most of my reference sources so I cannot check on this, but my recollection is that these emergency cars were constructed of thinner steel plate, thereby conserving material for the war effort.  This is the explanation for the lower safety valve and tank pressure ratings than normal.
-- 
Chris Barkan

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Chris Barkan

Lettered on the right side of the tank is EMERGENCY USGA AC&F CO, .and the built date of 10-42. What is EMERGENCY USGA?

This was a temporary relaxation of tank car construction standards in 1942 for the purpose of building up a fleet of cars to haul crude oil and gasoline until new pipelines could be built to handle the load. Their primary distinguishing trait was  the use of 4-course tank shells.

David Thompson

I am away from most of my reference sources so I cannot check on this, but my recollection is that these emergency cars were constructed of thinner steel plate, thereby conserving material for the war effort.  This is the explanation for the lower safety valve and tank pressure ratings than normal.
-- 
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA

David

Here's a high-res view of USQX 11200:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619388297/in/album-72157649155982802/

and SHPX 17520 for comparison:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619124151/in/album-72157649155982802/

The safety valves are 25 pounds and the tank is 60 pounds.

David Thompson

Bruce Smith

Tim,

From the AC&F book by Ed Kaminski, a sister car, SHPX 17561, 2/16/43, the right end stencil reads:

FOR LIQUIDS NOT OVER
8 LBS PER GAL. MAX. VAPOR
PRESSURE 16 LBS. P.S.I.  (might be 15, not 16)
ABSOLUTE 100 F.
EMERGENCY USG-A
A.C.&F. CO.
2-9-43
(handrail)
SAFETY VALVES 25 LBS. (might be 29?)
TANK 80(??) LBS.
TESTED 2-9-43
AT MILTON PA.
BY AC&F CO.
BUILT 2-43

And yes, it does really say LBS. P.S.I., lettering courtesy of the department of redundancy department.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2022 10:35 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] USAX 11225 Questions

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.

I don't see an ICC class in this 1942 builder photo but there is an "EMERGENCY" in
small letters, followed by what looks like x15A ? ( 115A? or something else? )

On 6/13/2022 7:43 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
IIRC, these cars were also ICC Class 102, instead of the typical class 103 of the era.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

This was a temporary relaxation of tank car construction standards in 1942 for the purpose of building up a fleet of cars to haul crude oil and gasoline until new pipelines could be built to handle the load. Their primary distinguishing trait was  the use of 4-course tank shells.

David Thompson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

I don't see an ICC class in this 1942 builder photo but there is an "EMERGENCY" in
small letters, followed by what looks like x15A ? ( 115A? or something else? )

On 6/13/2022 7:43 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
IIRC, these cars were also ICC Class 102, instead of the typical class 103 of the era.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

This was a temporary relaxation of tank car construction standards in 1942 for the purpose of building up a fleet of cars to haul crude oil and gasoline until new pipelines could be built to handle the load. Their primary distinguishing trait was  the use of 4-course tank shells.

David Thompson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Bruce Smith

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of David via groups.io <jaydeet2001@...>
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2022 6:01 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] USAX 11225 Questions

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.

David Thompson

Richard Townsend

Its tank's capacity was 9553 gallons. The dome had a capacity of 217 gallons.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jun 13, 2022 3:46 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] USAX 11225 Questions

I have three questions about U.S. Army tank car USAX 11225. 

I have an image taken in 1958, and next to LT WT 40900 is FIN 8 49.  Where was FIN?

How many gallons could this car hold?

Thanks.

Mike Palmieri – Aubrey, Texas

David

David Thompson

Michael Palmieri

I have three questions about U.S. Army tank car USAX 11225. 

I have an image taken in 1958, and next to LT WT 40900 is FIN 8 49.  Where was FIN?

How many gallons could this car hold?

Thanks.

Mike Palmieri – Aubrey, Texas