NP, MILW & ??? c.1939

Jack Mullen

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 10:05 AM, Robert kirkham wrote:
I’m wondering whether that is a MILW car to the right, with the reporting mark somewhat obscured on the 5/5/5 murphy corrugations.
Well, MILW had a large fleet of USRA SS boxcars, so a good possibility. But while it's probably a mug's game to try to interpret the visible fragments of lettering on the rib, the pattern of what pieces seem to be vertical and what seem to be diagonal or curved strokes doesn't say MILW to me. Neither do I see a good fit to any other owner's marks.
 I’m not a MILW Road student, so don’t have much of a grip on their rolling stock.  My thinking is that the car at right is a USRA car, but i’m wondering why the MILW car to the left (with dreadnaught ends) looks taller.

Because it IS taller. The 4/5 Dreadnaught commonly appears on boxcars with around 10' IH.

Jack Mullen

Robert kirkham

Hi there - Guy Wilber pointed out a group of photos at the Library of Congress i hadn’t spent time with previously, and among them was this.
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2017809692/   A very high definition version is available at the link.

The two cars at the end of the tracks caught my attention.  I’m wondering whether that is a MILW car to the right, with the reporting mark somewhat obscured on the 5/5/5 murphy corrugations.  I’m not a MILW Road student, so don’t have much of a grip on their rolling stock.  My thinking is that the car at right is a USRA car, but i’m wondering why the MILW car to the left (with dreadnaught ends) looks taller.   The USRA cars weren’t short in the wood sheathed era . . .

Not sure about the available models for the NP cars either.

By the way, what an excellent trash heap.  I suppose all the steel would have been collected and turned into landing craft by the time of my model era (1946).

Rob