InterMountain C&O 1937 boxcar with Deco Ends

Charlie Duckworth

I’ve had this RTR car for a while and just corrected its most serious flaw. Only 5400 had the black doors;  the remaining cars in the series doors matched the sides.  I mixed up some TruColor CB&Q BCR with VIA yellow to match the sides and resprayed the doors. The Route card and placard boards were replaced with a set from Tangent.  The side hand holds were replaced with Kade’s and wire replace the grabs on the running board above the ladders. Pencils and Pan Pastel was used on the rivet seams.  Yarmouth stirrups replaced the plastic ones

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Paul Doggett

Charlie

Yet another fine car.

Paul Doggett

On 25 Jun 2022, at 02:12, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51@...> wrote:

I’ve had this RTR car for a while and just corrected its most serious flaw. Only 5400 had the black doors;  the remaining cars in the series doors matched the sides.  I mixed up some TruColor CB&Q BCR with VIA yellow to match the sides and resprayed the doors. The Route card and placard boards were replaced with a set from Tangent.  The side hand holds were replaced with Kade’s and wire replace the grabs on the running board above the ladders. Pencils and Pan Pastel was used on the rivet seams.  Yarmouth stirrups replaced the plastic ones

541CDE64-E948-4480-B2AE-77E05304BDA4.jpeg

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

golden1014

Awesome!  Truly—this is beautiful.  How’d you fade the sides?  What kind of treatment did you give to the roof?

John Golden

O Fenton Wells

Well done Charlie, great paint match.  And nice looking car
Fenton

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 9:12 PM Charlie Duckworth via groups.io <Worth51=duck.com@groups.io> wrote:

I’ve had this RTR car for a while and just corrected its most serious flaw. Only 5400 had the black doors;  the remaining cars in the series doors matched the sides.  I mixed up some TruColor CB&Q BCR with VIA yellow to match the sides and resprayed the doors. The Route card and placard boards were replaced with a set from Tangent.  The side hand holds were replaced with Kade’s and wire replace the grabs on the running board above the ladders. Pencils and Pan Pastel was used on the rivet seams.  Yarmouth stirrups replaced the plastic ones

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Charlie Duckworth

John
Thanks, I have a bottle of diluted Dullcote that’s had a few drops of Black and Tan (my computer thinks I’m discussing a beer mix and keeps adding capitals).  That’s the only ‘fading’ I’ve done.  The Viking roof hasn’t been attacked as yet other than the above Dullcote coverage but today I’m off the Dick Blicks art store to pick up some additional Pan Pastels to try and replicate this look.

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

John E. Henning

Charlie,
Looking at your post I had a "Huh" moment. I have been looking at photos of these cars for really decades.  As a member and former Board of Director for the Chesapeake & Ohio Histerical Society, my mind processed the photos as having black doors for decades. But going back and looking at some of my photos, they had the door color matching the sides. Did Intermountain not do all their homework?  Did C&OHS not supply them enough photos?

Re-looking through my photos, also found some had the ends as the same as the side color also.  But appears not all either as some had black.

Ok, but lets add some controversy, see attached photo of C&O Deco Car #5492.  Is that a black door with black rubbed off or a BCR door with soot?

But, just a great job on your car.  Can I send you my 5 cars to 'fix'????  Just kidding....    But, really can I?????

-- John Henning

Charlie Duckworth

John.  I got my information off this O gauge site on C&O 5400 being the only example with black doors but your image certainly raises the question is the site correct?  https://www.richyodermodels.com/rym_fc_co_boxcar5400.htm
If it’s wrong I wonder were he got his information?  Since the car was built in 1937 and my layout is in the early 1950’s it’s only 15-17 years old so I wanted to keep the original lettering.

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

radiodial868

One would never know that was at one time an Intermountain RTR car.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Kevin Macomber

On 2022-06-25 09:47, radiodial868 wrote:
One would never know that was at one time an Intermountain RTR car.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial
_Mendocino, CA_
Links:
------
[1] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/message/193501
[2] https://groups.io/mt/91977013/645454
[3] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/post
[4] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/editsub/645454
[5] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/leave/11334620/645454/765963421/xyzzy
--
Kevin Macomber
NGMC

Ken Adams

The key is in Charlie's first post. Adding the yellow to the paint mix.

I tried this on a recent box car project using Vallejo Model Color acrylics and it really does change the color tone to give it a more sun bleached character.  I added Vallejo 70.953 Flat Yellow to 70.982 Cavalry Brown and brushed it over the Tamiya Red Oxide Surface Primer coat on a Trix UP 1940 boxcar I am re-building.

Note that the otherwise excellent Trix paint scheme is incorrect for the UP A-50-16 car and the only way to fix it consistently over large areas and apply the NSC UP A-50-16 decal set.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude

Lloyd Keyser

Great looking car Charlie. Could you give a little detail on the pan pastel and pencil of the rivet detail. It's subtle  but very effective. What size brush did you use and was the pencil run down the rivets before or after the PP.?LK

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 1:14 PM Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:
The key is in Charlie's first post. Adding the yellow to the paint mix.

I tried this on a recent box car project using Vallejo Model Color acrylics and it really does change the color tone to give it a more sun bleached character.  I added Vallejo 70.953 Flat Yellow to 70.982 Cavalry Brown and brushed it over the Tamiya Red Oxide Surface Primer coat on a Trix UP 1940 boxcar I am re-building.

Note that the otherwise excellent Trix paint scheme is incorrect for the UP A-50-16 car and the only way to fix it consistently over large areas and apply the NSC UP A-50-16 decal set.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude
Location: About half way up Walnut Creek

Charlie Duckworth

Lloyd
Here’s the pencil and Pan Pastel I used. Also the my well worn brush.  I made sure the pencil was sharp and drew the rust color down either side of the vertical rivet strip.  Then applied the brown pastel over the top of the rivets.  It’s important to apply a small amount of the brown.  If you feel you’ve applied too much use a Q-tip.

Here’s the roof with black and brown Pan Pastels.

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Curt Fortenberry

I would suggest getting a color wheel.  It would help decide colors, tones, shades, etc.

Curt Fortenberry

WILLIAM PARDIE

Charlie is right at the top of my weathering heros list and I hang on his every word.  There are a wide variety of weathering pencils out there and I think that I have bought most of them.  I just came across a set of Conti pencils which I bought years ago after an article in RMC touted using pencils.  The key is to try different products and find what you are comfortable with.

I thought that the AK pencils were a water color product that you moistened to use.  I may have these confused with another new product on the market.

Incidently Charlie is in good company on my hero list which includes Armoldd Swartzenegger, John Cena and Clint Eastwood.

Bill Pardie

akerboomk

RE: John Henning photo door
Looks to me like it is BCR + someone over-did the rust effects...
--
Ken Akerboom

Charlie Duckworth

Bill
You have a great sense of humor….

While the AK water color pencils can be dipped in water I also just draw with them as a normal colored pencil but the lead is softer and allows you to blend it.  I bought the rust color set but haven’t had them that long so I haven’t really mastered the heavy rust you see on some cars.  As others have commented there’s a lot of weathering techniques done by the 1/35 armor modelers that are museum quality and that’s were I get many of my ideas in doing our HO freight cars.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Tim O'Connor

Dullcote & alcohol can make for some very interesting 'blush' effects (the lighter patches)

On 6/25/2022 7:15 AM, Charlie Duckworth via groups.io wrote:

John
Thanks, I have a bottle of diluted Dullcote that’s had a few drops of Black and Tan (my computer thinks I’m discussing a beer mix and keeps adding capitals).  That’s the only ‘fading’ I’ve done.  The Viking roof hasn’t been attacked as yet other than the above Dullcote coverage but today I’m off the Dick Blicks art store to pick up some additional Pan Pastels to try and replicate this look.

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Here's a C&O car with early style lettering, a 1954 shop date, in a 1956 photo.