Vallejo Paint Equivalent For PFE Orange (more)

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer wrote:

Richard is reported to have said that SFRD was close to PRE for the orange.
I never heard that from him, but will emphasize that he had an excellent eye for color, often effortlessly matching paint on pre-painted models. I watched him do it a couple of times and marveled.
He was quite series about everything Santa Fe, including SFRD of course. The SFRD models of his that I have are not particularly close to PFE orange.

Steve Sandifer sent the CMYK and Pantone numbers for SFRD orange from the ATSF paint and lettering book, and I had color swatches printed on a color calibrated printer. The results were surprising, as there was considerable difference between the two, with the Pantone swatch redder and darker.
Pantone is tough to use for this kind of problem. The Pantone numbers are mixes (in round-number percentages) of standard pigments, and can neither serve as a good way to identify any arbitrary color, nor were they meant to. But if you are going to press and want a specific Pantone somewhere in a publication, the printer can nail it, and will. That’s what they are for.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Tony Thompson

Ro Kirkham wrote:

Nice write up Tony - i hadn’t appreciated the modeller’s use of the drift cards in the PFE book (where you describe how they bleed to the edge of the page). A very useful idea.
You’re welcome, Rob. We definitely had that idea in mind. Tony

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, Tony.

Richard is reported to have said that SFRD was close to PRE for the orange. Steve Sandifer sent the CMYK and Pantone numbers for SFRD orange from the ATSF paint and lettering book, and I had color swatches printed on a color calibrated printer. The results were surprising, as there was considerable difference between the two, with the Pantone swatch redder and darker. I attached the file. I used the CMYK numbers as a starting place to match using RGB, since I don't have a graphics program that supports Pantone or CMYK, and then did a series of fades and color photo color sampling. Those files are attached. I have four SFRD reefers to paint, and I haven't decided which fades to use, but I intend to paint them with different mixes. I'm open to suggestions from the group.

Nelson Moyer

As mentioned yesterday, I have posted some additional comments about PFE orange, in prototype and model form, in my blog. If you’re interested, the link is below.

https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2022/06/pfe-orange-one-more-time.html

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Robert kirkham

Nice write up Tony - i hadn’t appreciated the modeller’s use of the drift cards in the PFE book (where you describe how they bleed to the edge of the page). A very useful idea.

Rob