Santa Fe Stock Car kits 42998 and 42999

Andy Cich

Lester,

Look closer at those kits. There are more differences than just the brakes. The K body has no toe holes in the end, and the AB body has 2 toe holes. These kits can be used to model the Sk-Q thru U classes of cars. Sunshine 56.X series of kits covered these classes.

The -Q and -R classes had vertical brake staffs. The -S, -T, and -U classes had Ajax hand brake.

The -Q, -R, and -S had top operated cut levers. The -T and -U had bottom operated.

The -Q and -R had no toe holes. The -S had a single toe hole. The -T and -U had two toe holes. There were also end grab iron differences.

The -Q and -S were double deck. The -R, -T, and -U were single deck. I think Intermountain gives you the parts to build either.

These cars were built from 1928-1930. Your choice of brakes depends on era modeled.

I think you can model any of the classes with the Intermountain kits. The biggest obstacle might be the Sk-S with the single toe hole. If the single hole location matches one of the two hole version, you can fill in one of the holes.

If you would like, and can give me a couple days, I can scan and send the Sunshine data sheet.

Andy Cich