From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 9:18 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Aluminum Box Cars?

There was an Illinois Central aluminum box car on E-bay last week.  Not so interested in the car, but it did get me to thinking... Great Northern had one (only) aluminum box car.  Ebay had a NP aluminum box car listed a while ago.  Where these only experimental cars (I think that I read that somewhere, probably in relation to the GN car)?  Or a prototype for some railways?  (Southern Pacific had the silver overnight cars, but not certain if they were aluminum or not).

Ray Hutchison

My bad; it was Alton, not GM&O.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "BRIAN PAUL EHNI via groups.io" <bpehni@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 9:20 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Aluminum Box Cars?

In addition to the ones you mention, Rock Island and GM&O (?) had one. All experimental. SP overnight cars were steel painted silver.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 9:18 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

There was an Illinois Central aluminum box car on E-bay last week.  Not so interested in the car, but it did get me to thinking... Great Northern had one (only) aluminum box car.  Ebay had a NP aluminum box car listed a while ago.  Where these only experimental cars (I think that I read that somewhere, probably in relation to the GN car)?  Or a prototype for some railways?  (Southern Pacific had the silver overnight cars, but not certain if they were aluminum or not).

Ray Hutchison

Ian Cranstone

There were also experiments in aluminum boxcars in Canada in the years following the Second World War. Canadian National had 3 aluminum boxcars delivered in January 1946 (they also had five aluminum triple hoppers and five overhead ice bunker reefers built as well).

The Roberval & Saguenay Railway was a little more involved with aluminum, which had much to do with Alcan being a major online customer. 30 aluminum boxcars were delivered in 1947, and an additional car in 1949. They also rostered a significant number of aluminum hoppers.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

On 2022-07-20 10:18, Ray Hutchison wrote:

There was an Illinois Central aluminum box car on E-bay last week.  Not so interested in the car, but it did get me to thinking... Great Northern had one (only) aluminum box car.  Ebay had a NP aluminum box car listed a while ago.  Where these only experimental cars (I think that I read that somewhere, probably in relation to the GN car)?  Or a prototype for some railways?  (Southern Pacific had the silver overnight cars, but not certain if they were aluminum or not).

Ray Hutchison

Tim O'Connor

Brian thanks for posting that digital scan C&A 1200.

The distinctive 14 panel aluminum box cars were built for five railroads C&A, NKP, RI, C&O, M&StL.

The Great Northern design was unique to the GN.

On 7/20/2022 10:32 AM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:

My bad; it was Alton, not GM&O.

 Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 9:18 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

There was an Illinois Central aluminum box car on E-bay last week.  Not so interested in the car, but it did get me to thinking... Great Northern had one (only) aluminum box car.  Ebay had a NP aluminum box car listed a while ago.  Where these only experimental cars (I think that I read that somewhere, probably in relation to the GN car)?  Or a prototype for some railways?  (Southern Pacific had the silver overnight cars, but not certain if they were aluminum or not).

Ray Hutchison

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Brian, It did get gobbled up into the GM&O. My understanding is it did not stay lettered for Alton for very long.

Rich Christie

Richard Townsend

Years ago I did a clinic on aluminum freight cars at an RPM meet in Salem, Oregon. I’m visiting the east coast right now or I would dig it out. I had done a fairly exhaustive literature search and covered boxcars, tank cars, reefers, and hoppers. I’ll try to remember to dig it out when I get home next week.

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 9:18 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

There was an Illinois Central aluminum box car on E-bay last week.  Not so interested in the car, but it did get me to thinking... Great Northern had one (only) aluminum box car.  Ebay had a NP aluminum box car listed a while ago.  Where these only experimental cars (I think that I read that somewhere, probably in relation to the GN car)?  Or a prototype for some railways?  (Southern Pacific had the silver overnight cars, but not certain if they were aluminum or not).

Ray Hutchison

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts NKP 8502 aluminum AAR box car.jpg

Jeffrey White

The IC had one aluminum reefer, to my knowledge there was never an aluminum boxcar.  The reefer is preserved at McComb, MS.

They also built 5 aluminum 55ton hoppers.  The reefer and hoppers were part of an experiment in 1947.

Jeff White

Alma IL

On 7/20/2022 9:18 AM, Ray Hutchison wrote:

There was an Illinois Central aluminum box car on E-bay last week.  Not so interested in the car, but it did get me to thinking... Great Northern had one (only) aluminum box car.  Ebay had a NP aluminum box car listed a while ago.  Where these only experimental cars (I think that I read that somewhere, probably in relation to the GN car)?  Or a prototype for some railways?  (Southern Pacific had the silver overnight cars, but not certain if they were aluminum or not).

Ray Hutchison

Clark Propst

Off the top of my head the Alton, RI and M&StL all got ten. Maybe another road too? Maybe the same number for the C&O and NKP? But their cars came later with newer designed parts. These cars were built using leftover aluminum sheets from WWII airplanes. I do know two M&StL were damaged. By then the replacement parts were so expensive they used steel parts and painted the cars in their paint scheme in use at the time.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

gary laakso

Volume  26 of Railway Prototype Cyclopedia covers aluminum house cars and refrigerator cars.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Off the top of my head the Alton, RI and M&StL all got ten. Maybe another road too? Maybe the same number for the C&O and NKP? But their cars came later with newer designed parts. These cars were built using leftover aluminum sheets from WWII airplanes. I do know two M&StL were damaged. By then the replacement parts were so expensive they used steel parts and painted the cars in their paint scheme in use at the time.

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Tony Thompson

Clark Propst  wrote:

But their cars came later with newer designed parts. These cars were built using leftover aluminum sheets from WWII airplanes. I do know two M&StL were damaged. By then the replacement parts were so expensive they used steel parts and painted the cars in their paint scheme in use at the time.

I doubt the statement about leftover parts. I have the Alcoa document about their effort, along with Reynolds Aluminum, to find new markets for aluminum after the war, with all their wartime capacity available. And both aluminum companies considerably subsidized the material for the aluminum freight cars. One of the buyers, PFE, later stated that their two aluminum cars were entirely satisfactory, but could never have been justified for normal purchase because of the cost relative to steel. That quote is in the PFE book.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

As already mentioned, Pat Wider wrote an excellent summary of the aluminum cars in RP Cyc 26, including a sensible and well-written summary of the metallurgy of the alloys used. Please consult that source rather than what you vaguely remember.

Tony Thompson
tony@...