Wood

Kevin Macomber

Think of it like a theater stage production. All you can see is the layout. I am running christmas lights below. This pic is some of my lower bench work.

On 2022-07-21 10:48, Todd Sullivan via groups.io wrote:
Kevin,
Interesting comment about painting all the layout wood black. I found
it increasingly difficult to work on track wiring and turnout controls
under the layout, and also found that spiders - cellar spiders, in
particular - liked spinning webs and nests on the undersides of my
layout sections, so I started painting them semi-gloss white. The
spiders went elsewhere and I could see what I was doing.
Todd Sullivan
Links:
------
[1] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/message/194273
[2] https://groups.io/mt/92524581/645454
[3] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/post
[4] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/editsub/645454
[5] https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/leave/11334620/645454/765963421/xyzzy
--
Kevin Macomber
NGMC

Todd Sullivan

Kevin,

Interesting comment about painting all the layout wood black.  I found it increasingly difficult to work on track wiring and turnout controls under the layout, and also found that spiders - cellar spiders, in particular - liked spinning webs and nests on the undersides of my layout sections, so I started painting them semi-gloss white. The spiders went elsewhere and I could see what I was doing.

Todd Sullivan

Kevin Macomber

I prefer plywood, but use any 3/4" stock cut with my table saw. I am currently building a 13x28' layout all from scrap wood and am showing the steps on Facebook under Fitchburg Railroad On30. The key thing to dimensional lumber is having it acclimate to the room for a couple weeks to decrease water content. The second thing is I paint all of my benchwork black which both seals and hides it from the viewer.

Kevin
NGMC

On 2022-07-21 07:15, Eric Hansmann wrote:
I've been using three-quarter inch Birch plywood as benchwork
components for years. I have been able to have a 4x8 sheet ripped into
three-inch wide boards at Lowes.These ripped boards have been better
and cheaper than dimensional pieces.
It's been a few years since I last bought benchwork material so I do
not know if policies have changed.
Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 07/21/2022 6:35 AM CDT Ted Larson via groups.io
<mhrreast@...> wrote:
For layouts
Instead of using dimensional lumber
Use plywood
To help avoid warping.
--
Ted Larson
Trainweb.org/MHRR --- GN in 1965 --- NASG.org