Photo: Railroad yard at U.S. Steel Duquesne Works, Duquesne, PA (1956)

Paul Krueger

The Pacific Coast is very well documented, especially for the years after the GN took over in 1951, by photos and records available at Pacific Northwest Railroad Archive. PNRA published a book on it a few years ago.  A few copies are still available and can be purchased through the GN society.

https://gnrhs.myshopify.com/collections/books/products/pacific-coast-railway

I’ve sifted through several boxes of daily PCRR waybills from the late fifties and the coal seemed to exclusively stay in King County. I recall a lot going to the UW, some going to a large concrete plant along the Duwamish River in Seattle, and I think there may have been some going to the NP at Auburn.

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Tony Thompson

Doug Polinder wrote:

Tim, there is at least one very nice picture of PCRR gons in the Yaremko GN book (don't have my copy handy but will by tomorrow night). I believe Champ did decals for these and I will check my 1990 catalog when I get back to Michigan tomorrow night.

I believe some of the PCRR coal ended up at the University of Washington powerplant on Lake Washington west of the UW campus (NP branch, now the Burke-Gilman trail). I do not know anything about the BTU or sulfur content of Washington coal,
Don’t know if it was Maple Valley coal, but when I was at UW in the early 1960s, with an office in Roberts Hall alongside the track to the power plant, an NP switcher would bring a single NP offset hopper of coal, mid-afternoon, about every other day.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Tim and List Members,

Thanks Tim for the excellent image you sent. Some things I found interesting...

* Engine terminal on the right, it looks like the roundhouse may have been added onto over the years, based on the roof construction

* Compound ladder in the yard!

* Platform flat cars at the extreme left side of the image

* Structure with ALBERS billboard lettering in the distance (grain elevator?)

* What appears to be both railroad and roadway trestles across and above the yard

* Pole storage yard by buildings on left side of image

* And naturally the awesome PACIFIC COAST composite gon

Claus Schlund

On 28-Aug-22 18:51, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Pacific Coast was a shortline built to move locally mined coal. It shared track with the Milwaukee in the
Maple Valley and I think it was controlled by the Great Northern. It brought coal into Seattle.

The photo shows the PCR yard between the NP and MILW yards, in 1930.

Jeff Helm

Tim

check out the Pacific Northwest Railroad Archive.  They have a number of PCRR photos here http://www.pnrarchive.org/_layouts/15/start.aspx#/Lists/Pacific_Coast_Railroad_Photos/StdView.aspx

There are a few at various historical blogs on the Black Diamond area coal mines in Washington also, like this one

https://www.historylink.org/file/20619

Also check the University of Washington and Tacoma Public Library sites.  Earlier gons were wood, later steel and at the end in the late 1960’s some ore cars were used.
--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch
https://olympicpeninsulabranch.blogspot.com/

Richard Townsend

Champ did do Pacific Coast decals. HG-126 and OG-126. Champ calls out "red" (BCR) as the car color.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Oh look at that: no Interstate 5, no Alaskan Way, and no Space Needle.  Just the Smith Tower, tallest building on the West Coast for some years (42 stories).

Tim, there is at least one very nice picture of PCRR gons in the Yaremko GN book (don't have my copy handy but will by tomorrow night).  I believe Champ did decals for these and I will check my 1990 catalog when I get back to Michigan tomorrow night.

I believe some of the PCRR coal ended up at the University of Washington powerplant on Lake Washington west of the UW campus (NP branch, now the Burke-Gilman trail).  I do not know anything about the BTU or sulfur content of Washington coal,

Doug Polinder
Seguin TX

Doug Polinder

Oh look at that: no Interstate 5, no Alaskan Way, and no Space Needle.  Just the Smith Tower, tallest building on the West Coast for some years (42 stories).

Tim, there is at least one very nice picture of PCRR gons in the Yaremko GN book (don't have my copy handy but will by tomorrow night).  I believe Champ did decals for these and I will check my 1990 catalog when I get back to Michigan tomorrow night.

I believe some of the PCRR coal ended up at the University of Washington powerplant on Lake Washington west of the UW campus (NP branch, now the Burke-Gilman trail).  I do not know anything about the BTU or sulfur content of Washington coal,

Doug Polinder
Seguin TX

Tim O'Connor

I'd love to see photos of Pacific Coast gondolas ! :-)

On 8/26/2022 7:41 AM, earlyrail wrote:

Pacific Coast gons were around in numbers in the mid 60's.
I have several photos from my Navy days ion the Seattle area.
Merged in the the BN merger.

Howard Garner

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Pacific Coast was a shortline built to move locally mined coal. It shared track with the Milwaukee in the
Maple Valley and I think it was controlled by the Great Northern. It brought coal into Seattle.

The photo shows the PCR yard between the NP and MILW yards, in 1930.

On 8/25/2022 3:43 PM, Richard Townsend via groups.io wrote:

The Pacific Coast gon caught my eye, too. That's a railroad I know nothing about, though I have a vague sense about where it is located. What happened to that railroad?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR