Topics

A.A. Morrison Railway Supply / International Car

mark_landgraf

I grew up in Buffalo and was aware of their operations in Ebenezer NY. During some recent research on Greenville Steel Car, it became apparent that Morrison used GSC to rebuild various batches of cars that Morrison seemed to acquire via auction, often from the Erie RR.

During a recent business contact to the Ebenezer Car Shop provided some information, no records of past car rebuild efforts on site, and the remaining family members that had lived at the Ohio International Car caboose factory had either died or moved to Florida.

Has anyone done a roster or history of Morrison owned/leased rolling stock? Or a production list for International car cabooses?  I have a Partial production list from Eric Neubauer, others may assist in filling in the gaps

I'm also looking for factory International Car General Arrangement Drawings for Cabooses. I have other International stuff to offer in trade.

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY

_._,_.
_._,_._,_

leakinmywaders

Mark:

Matt Herson and I published a roster and brief account of the several series of boxcars that A.A. Morrison and subsidiaries rebuilt or refurbished and leased to the NP during the 1960s.  The article appeared in 2009 in the NPRHA Mainstreeter, Volume 28, No. 4.  The piece was entitled “The Lazarus Fleet: Leased Boxcars of the 1960s,” because these were all steam-era boxcars considered worn-out and sidelined by northeastern roads, including Erie, DLW, DT&I, and N&W.  The Morrison firm smelled opportunity in exploiting the excess of NE US road boxcars to address recurring car shortages on western roads for shipping forest products. The cars were altered to varying degrees for lease service, most drastically in the case of single door cars converted to double doors.

Note that certain of the ORER-listed NP series originated from multiple parent series and even railroads.

This touches on RealSTMC content because of the build dates of the boxcars (1930s-40s), but A. A. Morrison and Morrison International activity in the 1960s and later might be better discussed on the MFCL or BBFCL io groups.  Regards,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

mark_landgraf

Chris,