A B&M USRA composite gon at a coal mine in West Virginia (undated)

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

A B&M USRA composite gon at a coal mine in West Virginia (undated). It is a long way from home.

Perhaps some B&M expert might give us an approximate time period for the style of paint and lettering on the gon, helping to date the image...

Metadata at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Philip Dove

The mine is relatively newly built, no broken glass, little weathering, clean road, extra new Cross bars on the phone poles. Wood cladding not corrugated sheets on the building, l reckon a prosperous time for coal mine companies, but shortage of some materials. Second world war?

A B&M USRA composite gon at a coal mine in West Virginia (undated). It is a long way from home.

Perhaps some B&M expert might give us an approximate time period for the style of paint and lettering on the gon, helping to date the image...

Metadata at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Dave Parker

Claus and group:

The B&M gon is one of 733 (of the original 1500) that was rebuilt with 4-rib dreadnaught ends in 1933 (as per the late Tim Gilbert) and given the rectangular B&M herald.  The car looks to be in fairly good repair, so I would guess mid-30s or so.

Photos of these cars are rare, and this is the first I have seen of one off-line.

Thanks for sharing.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Eric Hansmann

I massaged the image in Photoshop by adjusting levels and sharpening a bit. See the attached.

It's great to see several gondolas loaded and on the ready track at this coal mine.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 07/02/2021 9:57 AM Dave Parker via groups.io <spottab@...> wrote:

Claus and group:

The B&M gon is one of 733 (of the original 1500) that was rebuilt with 4-rib dreadnaught ends in 1933 (as per the late Tim Gilbert) and given the rectangular B&M herald.  The car looks to be in fairly good repair, so I would guess mid-30s or so.

Photos of these cars are rare, and this is the first I have seen of one off-line.

Thanks for sharing.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

Hey, isn’t that B&M composite very close to the Walthers gon that was getting so much disrespect on this list a week or so ago?  Certainly in the “close enough” category.

Schuyler

I massaged the image in Photoshop by adjusting levels and sharpening a bit. See the attached.

It's great to see several gondolas loaded and on the ready track at this coal mine.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 07/02/2021 9:57 AM Dave Parker via groups.io <spottab@...> wrote:

Claus and group:

The B&M gon is one of 733 (of the original 1500) that was rebuilt with 4-rib dreadnaught ends in 1933 (as per the late Tim Gilbert) and given the rectangular B&M herald.  The car looks to be in fairly good repair, so I would guess mid-30s or so.

Photos of these cars are rare, and this is the first I have seen of one off-line.

Thanks for sharing.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

Dave, I’m looking at the construction methods and materials of that mind building, and I think it may well be into the late 40s.  Post war, I ‘d say.

Eric, thanks for the photoshop work, the picture was near worthless to me otherwise.

Schuyler

I massaged the image in Photoshop by adjusting levels and sharpening a bit. See the attached.

It's great to see several gondolas loaded and on the ready track at this coal mine.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 07/02/2021 9:57 AM Dave Parker via groups.io <spottab@...> wrote:

Claus and group:

The B&M gon is one of 733 (of the original 1500) that was rebuilt with 4-rib dreadnaught ends in 1933 (as per the late Tim Gilbert) and given the rectangular B&M herald.  The car looks to be in fairly good repair, so I would guess mid-30s or so.

Photos of these cars are rare, and this is the first I have seen of one off-line.

Thanks for sharing.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Don Burn

Schuyler,

     It could be post war but the paint looks reasonable fresh and if it is postwar the herald would be different.

Don Burn

[...]

Maybe.  Might have been a while since it was last on B&M rails, and even then . . .

[...]

akerboomk

For the gory details:

            https://www.bmrrhs.org/gondola_90000_series/

From the “Car book” drawing it confirms the 1933 rebuild date.

Note there is at least one photo with original (6 rib) ends and rectangular herald

Thanks for finding this photo!

Certainly far afield, [speculating] perhaps a WW II date due to car shortages?

Ken

--
Ken Akerboom

Dave Parker

Ken:

Thanks for the heads up on the photo showing original ends and the rectangular herald.  Tim Gilbert maintained that that only cars with rebuilt ends received that herald, but he was looking at a very small photographic sample.  I have long suspected that this combination existed in the decade leading up to the roll-out of the Minuteman herald in 1946.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Benjamin Hom

Schuyler Larrbee asked:
"Hey, isn’t that B&M composite very close to the Walthers gon that was getting so much disrespect on this list a week or so ago?  Certainly in the “close enough” category."

No.  There was a minor threadjack during that conversation - the Monon model Chuck Cover posted was NOT based on the Walthers steel car in question, but on a Walthers flat injection-molded composite gon based on the USRA 40 ft gon.  If you use that kit with Dreadnaught ends, you'd get a model that's close to this prototype.

However, the Walthers/Varney/AHM/Rivarossi/Cox/Bachamnn steel gon is nowhere close to the car in question.

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks, Ben, I missed the transition in the thread.  Chuck’s model was very good and I appreciated his inclusion of the prototype photo.

Schuyler