Topics

A Teichmoeller moment

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

I had a John Teichmoeller moment the other day. Ever since getting his
book on PRR steel hoppers, I've been ignoring the foreground of published
photos (especially those diesels) and looking at car types...

On page 317 of Pennsy Power III, there is a photo from 1966 of Altoon PA,
with no less than 4 PRR H31c war emergency twin hoppers! Now since only
500 H31 were originally built and many had been scrapped by then, the
likelihood of randomly catching 4 together has to be pretty slim! Several
conclusions are possible, but the one I keep coming back to is that these
cars may be headed for class repairs (unlikely) or scrap... Why else would
there be 4 congregated at the same location?

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Ted Culotta <ted@...>

Not a significant difference, but actually there were 501. H-31A, #249990
(220842-221341 were classed H-31B) was built in early 1942 (probably a
proof-of-concept, like gon #343432 and box car #119991). At any rate, it
doesn't change the significance of the photo!

Ted

[...]

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

Terd,

I've CC:ed this back to the group as someone else may find the data
interesting...I think John indicated that the H31a was, as you suggested
earlier, a "test" car. Then, they made some changes and produced the H31b.
I noticed some interesting roster info on the page you suggested regarding
the conversion of the composite H31b to the all steel H31c:

H31b H31c
492 5 April '52
266 225 Oct '53
12 482 Oct '58
12 475 Oct '63
3 276 April '68

Sooo, the 1966 photo in PP3 is most likely a scrap line, although the
reporting marks don't appear to be "whitelined" in the photo. The amazing
thing is that 3 composite hoppers are still listed in 1968!!! Based on
this data, I'd say Mike Brock needs one of each class <G> for his Sherman
Hill layout ;^)

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce:

Here's a link to the info. There were slight differences as you
indicated, although I don't know why (they're not so great as to indicate
completely different types of cars). Any ideas?

<http://prr.railfan.net/freight/classpage.html?class=H31
TARGET="_blank">http://prr.railfan.net/freight/classpage.html?class=H31

Ted