Accurail single-sheathed prototype boxcar upgrade?

Richard Townsend

I have taken the Hutchins roof off of an Accurail 4300-series boxcar (3 diagonals on each side of the door: http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/4300/4320.JPG ) for a project. I sacrificed the ends, too. Now I'm wondering if there is a prototype that had those sides and, say, a rectangular panel panel roof, or a Viking roof, or whatever that I could use. I'd hate to see those sides go to waste.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Robert kirkham

Hi Richard,

I’ve done a couple of kit bashes from these kits using the Yarmouth Model Works Hutchins flat panel roof.  Both of them represent some kind of compromise.  For example, the AnnArbor 73XXX series are 6” taller than the Accurail. My kitbash is here: https://saltrails.tumblr.com/page/6 The CB&Q cars are 6” shorter than Accurail.  My kitbash:https://saltrails.tumblr.com/page/8 I moved toward those height differences (without exactly achieving the exact increase or decrease).

On the Ann Arbor car, the tops of the vertical and diagonal steel braces terminate more closely together than the tops of the braces on the Accurail model.   So once the roof is off, you can add height to the car side in two ways: first, trim off the horizontal top plate casting (but leave the portions of that top plate that align to the path of the side braces - so the braces continue that extra height.  Second, glue some styrene strip styrene on top of the car body so (like that top plate) it projects over the side braces and can be trimmed.  I managed to add maybe 5” inches to the brace height in this way.  There are many other modifications you would want to look at, including maybe using a Tichy door (or carving off some Tichy door hardware for use on the Accurail door.  I used homemade Hutchins ends for this kitbash and have them on Shapeways.https://www.shapeways.com/product/7JYN2AC3V/ann-arbor-ho-scale-end?optionId=188178669&li=shops

On the CB&Q car, you can lose about 4” height by lowering the overall car side height to the bottom of the top plate (I remove all the top plate and everything above it).   This one can also use a different side door (most cars have a different brace position; I found one photo where the Accurail design worked) and other details.

Rob