ACL Freight Car Color

Nelson Moyer

Tru Color has no less than three ACL freight car paint colors:

TCP-182, ACL 1944-60s Freight Car Brown

TCP-206, ACL 1950-60s Freight Car Brown

TCP-244, ACL 1935-1950s Freight Car Red

The YMW kits are for ACL cars built between 1950-53, so which paint should I use? They all overlap those dates.

Nelson Moyer

golden1014

Hi Nelson,

I'm no expert but I prefer Scalecoat PRR Freight Car Color.  I think it best approximates the color in the attached photo, which is circa 1951 of some newly re-painted cars.

John Golden

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, John. TCP-244 is very close to the pictures you attached. I’ll compare SC PRR Freight Car with Tru Color ACL freight car red and see what it looks like.

Nelson Moyer

I'm no expert but I prefer Scalecoat PRR Freight Car Color.  I think it best approximates the color in the attached photo, which is circa 1951 of some newly re-painted cars.

John Golden

O Fenton Wells

Nelson here is a kitbashed ACL  0-24 bashed from a P2k 50 ft SD car.  I used John Golden's suggestion for the paint color.  I like the look
Just say'in.  Photos aren't that good but it is what it is.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Brian Shumaker

Edited

Speaking of ACL, can you guys ID this car and closest model? Looks like _1675.
Brian Shumaker

Allan Smith

It looks like an O-21 51400-52127 see Model Railoading July 97 P46 and SEFCRM P 190..

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 06:06:41 PM PDT, Brian Shumaker <brian.shumaker@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Speaking of ACL, can you guys ID this car and closest model? Looks like _1675.

Brian Shumaker

Steve and Barb Hile

ACL 51400 – 52127 built by Pullman Standard in 1941 under Lot 5641.  You can see builder’s photos at

pf2010.03.444a - Pullman State Historic Site - Illinois Digital Archives (idaillinois.org)

The door opening is 14 feet wide.  The inside height is 10’ 3 ½”.

I am not sure what model might provide the best starting point.

Steve Hile