ACL Freight Car Color

Nelson Moyer

Tru Color has no less than three ACL freight car paint colors:

TCP-182, ACL 1944-60s Freight Car Brown

TCP-206, ACL 1950-60s Freight Car Brown

TCP-244, ACL 1935-1950s Freight Car Red

The YMW kits are for ACL cars built between 1950-53, so which paint should I use? They all overlap those dates.

Nelson Moyer

golden1014

Hi Nelson,

I'm no expert but I prefer Scalecoat PRR Freight Car Color.  I think it best approximates the color in the attached photo, which is circa 1951 of some newly re-painted cars.

John Golden

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, John. TCP-244 is very close to the pictures you attached. I’ll compare SC PRR Freight Car with Tru Color ACL freight car red and see what it looks like.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of golden1014 via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 1:31 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ACL Freight Car Color

Hi Nelson,

I'm no expert but I prefer Scalecoat PRR Freight Car Color.  I think it best approximates the color in the attached photo, which is circa 1951 of some newly re-painted cars.

John Golden

O Fenton Wells

Nelson here is a kitbashed ACL  0-24 bashed from a P2k 50 ft SD car.  I used John Golden's suggestion for the paint color.  I like the look
Just say'in.  Photos aren't that good but it is what it is.  
Fenton

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 3:01 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Thanks, John. TCP-244 is very close to the pictures you attached. I’ll compare SC PRR Freight Car with Tru Color ACL freight car red and see what it looks like.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of golden1014 via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 1:31 PM

Hi Nelson,

John Golden

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Brian Shumaker

Edited

Speaking of ACL, can you guys ID this car and closest model? Looks like _1675.
Brian Shumaker

Allan Smith

It looks like an O-21 51400-52127 see Model Railoading July 97 P46 and SEFCRM P 190..

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 06:06:41 PM PDT, Brian Shumaker <brian.shumaker@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Brian Shumaker

Steve and Barb Hile

ACL 51400 – 52127 built by Pullman Standard in 1941 under Lot 5641.  You can see builder’s photos at

pf2010.03.444a - Pullman State Historic Site - Illinois Digital Archives (idaillinois.org)

The door opening is 14 feet wide.  The inside height is 10’ 3 ½”.

I am not sure what model might provide the best starting point.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Shumaker
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 8:05 PM

[Edited Message Follows]

Brian Shumaker

Tim O'Connor

Best place to start may be 10-6 car with 5/5 ends and 6 foot door like the Intermountain kit.
Or even the ancient ATHEARN blue box car, which is just a tad too short for a 10-6 car but may
work nicely for 10-3... :-)

Or just fake it, and use the Red Caboose 10-0 double door. :-P

I thought perhaps Sunshine had done these cars, but no such luck. :-(

Tim O'Connor

On 5/12/2021 10:32 PM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

ACL 51400 – 52127 built by Pullman Standard in 1941 under Lot 5641.  You can see builder’s photos at

pf2010.03.444a - Pullman State Historic Site - Illinois Digital Archives (idaillinois.org)

The door opening is 14 feet wide.  The inside height is 10’ 3 ½”.

I am not sure what model might provide the best starting point.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Shumaker
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 8:05 PM

[Edited Message Follows]

Brian Shumaker

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Brian Shumaker

Edited

Thanks gang. Steve, thanks for the awesome link! Tim, I think you are right, probably start with a 1937 modified 10’6” IH and convert to double door. What do we call these ends, 4.75 / 5 ends? I assume by 1959 the “Automobile” is a misnomer and it was used as a lumber, appliance and such hauler. When did the ACL change from Railroad Roman to the sans serif style?
The photo shows it on the house track at Guthrie Center, Iowa. A lumber yard is out of frame to left. Looks like a fun little project. Here we go!.
Brian Shumaker

O Fenton Wells

Brian I've had good luck with the C&BT, Front Range or McKean 40 DD cars.   I get them at flea markets or eBay.  I use new doors, ladders and grabs and they turn out pretty nice.  Here is a B&O boxcar that I did with a C&BT car.  This is a 10'-4"IH car without auto loaders and a 9'-6" IH car with loaders installed.  Chad Boas supplied the doors and the side sill supports.
The cars have 14'-0" door openings so if you want something different you may have to modify a SD boxcar to meet your needs.  I believe the Athearn(MDC) 40' DD cars are 12 ft door openings.  And that the Red Caboose 40 footers are 10'-0" IH cars and I believe they have 12 ft door openings.
Hope this helps
fenton

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:06 AM Brian Shumaker <brian.shumaker@...> wrote:
Thanks gang. Tim, I think you are right, probably start with a 1937 modified 10’6” IH and convert to double door. What do we call these ends, 4.75 / 5 ends? I assume by 1959 the “Automobile” is a misnomer and it was used as a lumber, appliance and such hauler. The photo shows it on the house track at Guthrie Center, Iowa. A lumber yard is out of frame to left. Looks like a fun little project. Here we go! BTW, if anyone has a candidate to model the doodlebug cum depot, I’m all ears.
Brian Shumaker

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

O Fenton Wells

Brian by the Way K4 makes a plethora of ACL decals.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:00 AM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:
Brian I've had good luck with the C&BT, Front Range or McKean 40 DD cars.   I get them at flea markets or eBay.  I use new doors, ladders and grabs and they turn out pretty nice.  Here is a B&O boxcar that I did with a C&BT car.  This is a 10'-4"IH car without auto loaders and a 9'-6" IH car with loaders installed.  Chad Boas supplied the doors and the side sill supports.
The cars have 14'-0" door openings so if you want something different you may have to modify a SD boxcar to meet your needs.  I believe the Athearn(MDC) 40' DD cars are 12 ft door openings.  And that the Red Caboose 40 footers are 10'-0" IH cars and I believe they have 12 ft door openings.
Hope this helps
fenton

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:06 AM Brian Shumaker <brian.shumaker@...> wrote:
Thanks gang. Tim, I think you are right, probably start with a 1937 modified 10’6” IH and convert to double door. What do we call these ends, 4.75 / 5 ends? I assume by 1959 the “Automobile” is a misnomer and it was used as a lumber, appliance and such hauler. The photo shows it on the house track at Guthrie Center, Iowa. A lumber yard is out of frame to left. Looks like a fun little project. Here we go! BTW, if anyone has a candidate to model the doodlebug cum depot, I’m all ears.
Brian Shumaker

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Brian Shumaker

Edited

Fenton, thanks for that. 
Allan, I dug that out of my files, yay!
Anyone know why these aren’t among the list of 1937 AAR Modified Design? Is it because of the double doors?
To complicate matters, these cars have an addition line of wider spaced rivets inboard of the standard line. Archer to the rescue! Challenge accepted. Anyone have an undecorated Intermountain 1937 AAR Modified they don’t need?

Brian

Tony Thompson

Brian Shumaker wrote:

I assume by 1959 the “Automobile” is a misnomer and it was used as a lumber, appliance and such hauler. 

Not really. The AAR did drop, about 1955, its "standard" nomenclature that any double-door box car was classified as "automobile" regardless of cargoes carried, but a number of roads continued to so letter double-door cars. And I certainly doubt anyone rushed to paint out the word "automobile" after 1955.

Tony Thompson

Scott

Wow Fenton those are great looking cars.

Scott McDonald 

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Scott

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 3:11 PM Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:
Wow Fenton those are great looking cars.

Scott McDonald 

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

O Fenton Wells

True the photo I used was from 1958, I think

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:37 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
Brian Shumaker wrote:

I assume by 1959 the “Automobile” is a misnomer and it was used as a lumber, appliance and such hauler. 

Not really. The AAR did drop, about 1955, its "standard" nomenclature that any double-door box car was classified as "automobile" regardless of cargoes carried, but a number of roads continued to so letter double-door cars. And I certainly doubt anyone rushed to paint out the word "automobile" after 1955.

Tony Thompson

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

golden1014

Hey Brian, almost all of the ACL O-20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25 cars had Union Duplex rollers. Most of the auto cars had seven-foot doors.  So be careful—you may have a lot of scratchbuilding ahead.  I can send details and photos if you have car numbers.

John Golden

Brian Shumaker

Edited

John,
I am really only interested in replicating the O-21 class car as seen in the pic. I may also do an O-23 class as it is nearly the same but built by ACF with Youngstown doors and different trucks. I like Fenton’s O-24 50 footer. I have no info on O-22 and I know O-25’s are single door. I’d appreciate any photos of either O-21 or O-23, though.
Thanks!
Brian Shumaker

Larry Goolsby

Brian, I have a stack of all these ACL photos but currently no time to pull them out and scan. If you want to send me a reminder off list I'll "put you on my list." The correct ACL color was closest to the 21003 photo (first photo) that "non-expert" (ha, don't believe that!) John Golden posted. ACL's red was certainly warmer (had more orange) than, say, Seaboard, which tended toward Tuscan. Somewhere I have the ACL boxcar red color drift card, which IIRC, wasn't quite as "warm" as the 21003 photo but likely the color varied a bit over the years. 

Regarding the change to sans-serif boxcar lettering, the last new boxcars delivered with Roman lettering were the O-26s of 1949 - the new O-27s of the next year, 1950, had sans-serif. However ACL was applying sans-serif lettering to repainted ventilated boxcars as early as 1945 (the Atlantic Coast Despatch scheme). ACL also applied sans-serif to certain other cars (covered hoppers for example) as early as 1941. But for whatever reason, non-ventilated boxcars held on to Roman for a while longer.  

Larry Goolsby 

Douglas Harding

The replacement depot in Guthrie Center was a Rock Island combine.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Shumaker
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 8:06 AM

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks gang. Steve, thanks for the awesome link! Tim, I think you are right, probably start with a 1937 modified 10’6” IH and convert to double door. What do we call these ends, 4.75 / 5 ends? I assume by 1959 the “Automobile” is a misnomer and it was used as a lumber, appliance and such hauler. The photo shows it on the house track at Guthrie Center, Iowa. A lumber yard is out of frame to left. Looks like a fun little project. Here we go! BTW, if anyone has a candidate to model the doodlebug cum depot, I’m all ears.
Brian Shumaker